accent marching...just posted selling equipement

And the Eclipse/Accent "horse" is more than likely not dead but will appear again sometime in the future.

ZOMBIE_HORSE_WANT_BRAINS_by_Oskarmandude.jpg

Hmm, could be a movie series here to be had. Would be better than that AMC one now I suppose! :)

So far, there's nothing I've seen from these guys that I haven't seen from loads of other startups with young founders.... shooting too high, launching too early, a bit of a false start. Not really a bit deal. This happens.

There is something to be said for "stealth mode".... getting your #### together before making it public. Facebook and other social media makes it far to easy and tempting to show the sausage being made.... which is never pretty.

Anyway, seems these guys have been a bit too focused on how they're going to package the bread before they've even harvested the wheat. Rookie mistake, but nothing insurmountable so far, I'd imagine.

Either this... or they are world-class fakes, phonies and frauds.

($1 to Bob Grant)

• Like 2

I certainly wouldn't go that far, but are you suggesting they should consider Open Class instead?

• Like 1

No kidding about the long time part. In case you thought they finally removed it you might wanna check again

http://www.freewebs.com/mountaineerscorps/staffroster.htm

holy...

well, now what do I do?

I don't remember this. How far in the planning process did they get and what was the publicity like?

Well, Ms. Ortiz contacted me once by email. I said "Sure! Sign me up!" And that was it. Her email doesn't exist anymore, last I checked (2 years ago). All I have is the one email, which I've since lost.

As far as publicity, nothing. I don't know what happened behind the scenes. All I know is I'm still on the website.

I guess it's kinda funny now...?

Well, Ms. Ortiz contacted me once by email. I said "Sure! Sign me up!" And that was it. Her email doesn't exist anymore, last I checked (2 years ago). All I have is the one email, which I've since lost.

As far as publicity, nothing. I don't know what happened behind the scenes. All I know is I'm still on the website.

I guess it's kinda funny now...?

Are you sure you never attended camps and just don't remember it? Lots has happened in the world since 2007. You might have been abducted by aliens since then and had selective parts of your memory erased...at least that's the excuse I always give when I don't remember something. And 2007 is when "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" came out. Perhaps you were so engrossed in the tome that everything else fell by the wayside of your memory. Also, on April 5 of that year, the nation of Georgia established a Provisional Administrative Entity in the disputed region of South Ossetia, which became all anyone around here talked about for weeks.

• Like 2

($1 to Bob Grant)

Danielray's assessment is mostly correct. Nagy's not really a flat-out liar like some of the Mountaineer people were (he at least has some drum corps experience). He's just a kind of doofus who keeps sticking his finger in the electrical socket over and over. A lot of smart people have told him why it's a bad idea to put his finger there. Each time he listens, smiles, and then goes back for more. He seems to have a basic idea of what needs to be done to start up a venture like this . . . but posting on Facebook and ordering shiny new equipment is a lot more fun than doing all that work.

• Like 1

Elizabeth Ortiz was suckered into that debacle just as you were. Sadly, it's all too easy for folks to say "Hey! I'm starting a corps! Wanna be on staff?" while actually doing things the right way from the ground up...that's hard.

We had one of these fly-by-night wonders right here where I live recently.

some of the Mountaineer people

"People" is kind of a stretch when it comes to Mountaineers. "Person" is more like it.

Remember the Hollywood Knights of 1983? There was A LOT of PR about the corps, including sketches of uniforms the staff would be required to wear. They had the backing of a Hollywood producer whom I met at the DCI Annual Meeting. He had very glossy posters he was selling. Members of the corps even were on a Tournament of Roses Parade float. The corps came out and (I don't remember how many shows they were in) lasted just a few days before folding.

Does anyone have the backstory to this? There are a lot of details I no longer remember, and it is probably a fascinating story.

There was also another corps that was going to start up in southern Illinois by the name of Egyptian something. They had bumper stickers at the DCI Annual Meeting and had big plans, but never hit the field. Anyone remember anything about this as well?