Best Rifle Line In History

I remember the days when sabres and rifles actually had real points and muzzles and trigger guards on them. Alas all good things must come to an end. I know, I know it's probably for saftey reasons. Today they're just props. Good ones, but just props. :sad:

Actually, I may be responsible for the removal of the metal barrels (or whatever the right word is - we called it the barrel) on the rifles - back in '74. I couldn't carry the rifle with the butt under my arm-pit without leaning to the left because of my height. The corps went to the rules committee (or whatever it was really called) to get permission to remove the barrel. The response was that the barrel could be cut down, but not off completely. So - about 2" came off the rifle and we had maybe a 1/2" barrel and I could stand straight witht the rifle pointing down under my arm. I believe the barrels could be completely removed shortly after that.

I also recall modifications to the trigger guard and other components back then - we flattened the trigger guard as much as we could - I don't believe the rules said it had to remain in its original state so we modified what we could.

Actually, I may be responsible for the removal of the metal barrels (or whatever the right word is - we called it the barrel) on the rifles - back in '74. I couldn't carry the rifle with the butt under my arm-pit without leaning to the left because of my height. The corps went to the rules committee (or whatever it was really called) to get permission to remove the barrel. The response was that the barrel could be cut down, but not off completely. So - about 2" came off the rifle and we had maybe a 1/2" barrel and I could stand straight witht the rifle pointing down under my arm. I believe the barrels could be completely removed shortly after that.

I also recall modifications to the trigger guard and other components back then - we flattened the trigger guard as much as we could - I don't believe the rules said it had to remain in its original state so we modified what we could.

there were some that replaced the metal with rubber tube back then also...eventually work became much more complex and no need for those things on the gun....same with spiked flag poles...lmao..can you imagine...................All stems from the break away from Am. Legions and VFWs and THEIR rules and the evolution of guard and drum corps in general. Soon after shakos, or hats ( traditional ones ) would soon be gone beacuse they were just in the way with the newer style coming into play

Edited by GUARDLING

I still have my rifle trigger from my I&E performance in spring 1971 because it fell off! lol;) During winter guard of 71-72 Nancy was rifle captain and I was guard captain. She warmed up the rifles, I warmed up the flags. Actually we ran rehearsals until the M&M instructor was hired sometime in spring. During the summer of 72 the rifles had barrels and straps but no triggers. I may have been responsible for the removal of flag pole spikes and shortening of the poles. Our young flag line was an average height of 5' 1". Poles were cut and pikes were replaced with door knobs. We didn't have a sponsor so we had to sew our own flags. We chose lining material in the colours of the rainbow.

1979 Troopers rifle line. Old school. Very good!

great rifles...as it was so cool to see something like this back in the day BUT look at the release hand which is judged now.......just so different now....actually it makes it even more amazing that the guns were so perfect with bad or different hand releases...yeah rifles

In fairness, I will point out that I read a comment many moons ago (and am too lazy to look it up, but I'm pretty sure it was on DCP) in response to this photo, and questions about the hand positions. Apparently the two with the different hand positions were new to the guard; experienced Anaheim guard members would never have been caught with their hands in a different position; that sort of thing simply wasn't allowed. Now, I'll leave it to the experts to hash that one out, LOL!

In fairness, I will point out that I read a comment many moons ago (and am too lazy to look it up, but I'm pretty sure it was on DCP) in response to this photo, and questions about the hand positions. Apparently the two with the different hand positions were new to the guard; experienced Anaheim guard members would never have been caught with their hands in a different position; that sort of thing simply wasn't allowed. Now, I'll leave it to the experts to hash that one out, LOL!

..one can look back to videos..etc etc and always find something..criteria of excellence has changed somewhat as what is expected, tolerated,and what may be considered challenging or not. New person or not one could use that excuse for performers of today also. They( BITD) were un believeable thers no denying that but can never be compared to today....its 2 different animals and way different worlds.

They( BITD) were un-believeable. There's no denying that but can never be compared to today....its 2 different animals and way different worlds.

And that's pretty much the bottom line, imo. To say that either one is "better" than the other is disingenuous, a disrespect to performers of both generations.

Fred O.

Did anyone mention the guardsmen rifle line? They were something else as well. They allways had there noses way up in the air. Also later it seems to me when garfield was making their comeback that they did the same thing.

but the flawedCavies show of 1979 that just barely returned to finals had heart and is one ofmy favorite shows

Had to jump in and say THANKS. We don't hear too much about that show except when the topic of if Crossmen or Troopers deserved to be in finals that year comes up.

Just to add my .01, after marrying a former guard gal, my "view" of guards has changed slightly. But comparing today's guards with the guards of yester-year, well, its like comparing hornlines (say Cavaliers of the 60's vs Crown of the 2000's)... or Michael Jordan vs Oscar Robinson. You can compare them for sh*&'s and giggles but to ask which one is better...... well you just can't do it.

The guards of the 60's and 70's just couldn't do what guards do these days, no different then guards of today throwing a triple with a 10 lbs rifle..... in unison... 3 times.

I have learned to like todays guards by reeling in my "old timer" feelings and appreciating what guards do today because for better or for worse, guards have evolved to what they are today because the activity wanted it that way. It has opened up drum corp to a whole new set of kids who never would have thought about joining our great activity if it remained as it was 30 years ago.

Edited by dc oldtimer