Singing in drum corps

Also, Star also sang the M I C & K E Y section at the end of the show (and the audience added the alternate words)

(In best comic book guy voice) Well Actually, we sang MICKEY at the end of the Mickey Mouse Club Song, Mouseketeer-style. In the closer of Small World we sang 'It's a small world after all!'.

And yes, we heard many a variation of the Mickey Mouse Club that summer from the audience. By the end it was generally a well sung but loud "M-O-N-E-Y" at the end.

I think singing can be used effectively - - but it must be done carefully and in an appropriate manner.

The show that sticks out to me is the 1990 Cavaliers show that opened with a soft vocalizing of "O Come Emmanuel" - no lyrics, just the melody, then spun around and broke into the Rutter Gloria. Still gives me goosebumps. I also thought that Boston Crusaders' entrance with "Do You Hear the People Sing" was appropriately done.

I really don't care for the amplified singing. It totally takes me out of the show - -but again, I suppose it really depends on the show.

I am a singer and a choral director, but as a drum corps fan, I find much of the singing to be jarring. The music played by the corps is hopefully communicating its message so completely that an amplified voice imposing lyrics seems to be a distraction to me.

I think the corps can communicate emotionally without it - - if they play a song people know, the audience will sing along in their hearts - - e.g. Empire State of Mind.

Thanks for remembering the Cavalier's 1990 show. I remember performing that section of the show and I thought it was the perfect amount of singing to buildup to the Gloria hit, which was a reprise of the previous year's music. It was a great memory!

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 2

This thread is getting very funny. Do I detect I am not the only one enjoying a libation?. With her experience. I think Fan Mom has a lot of good points. I should go back and give her some pluses. I'm glad Charlotte Church doesn't do Drum Corps.

Kevin

This thread is getting very funny. Do I detect I am not the only one enjoying a libation?. With her experience. I think Fan Mom has a lot of good points. I should go back and give her some pluses. I'm glad Charlotte Church doesn't do Drum Corps.

Kevin

So am I. Love to hear her on the stage and radio, though.

Edited by skajerk

JJ,

I don't have all my music available to me because I have two households. Only one wife though I'm not greedy. I've expressed my opinion. but If I had a Corps to pick for their integration of vocals into a show I would pick the Cavies and particularly Emanuel.

I am highly amused by Bluecoats88. If you had fun with it and is part of your musical memory I hope you keep it forever

Kevin

JJ,

I don't have all my music available to me because I have two households. Only one wife though I'm not greedy. I've expressed my opinion. but If I had a Corps to pick for their integration of vocals into a show I would pick the Cavies and particularly Emanuel.

I am highly amused by Bluecoats88. If you had fun with it and is part of your musical memory I hope you keep it forever

Kevin

Haha!

You're 2kool4skool! tongue.gif

I know I love Bluecoats '88 too.

And yes, we heard many a variation of the Mickey Mouse Club that summer from the audience. By the end it was generally a well sung but loud "M-O-N-E-Y" at the end.

It's before my time, but I never understood why there were so many negative reactions like this. I get the whole disdain for being corporate-funded, but in hindsight, so much good came from Star and Bill Cook...

I would like to think most of us from the late 90s-on, who grew up without Star, feel the same way.