Phantom Regiment 2012

And I remember hating Spartacus the first time I saw it. It was such an awkward show... with the transitions and all... or lack there of.

And the random solis always ###### me off... and it seemed like the same exact trumpet soli every year.

But he did write some awesome stuff besides that! Really enjoyed his work in 2010. I think that was my favorite year of the Shaw Rennick duo. If only they could have physically been able to play the show....

And I remember hating Spartacus the first time I saw it. It was such an awkward show... with the transitions and all... or lack there of.

And the random solis always ###### me off... and it seemed like the same exact trumpet soli every year.

But he did write some awesome stuff besides that! Really enjoyed his work in 2010. I think that was my favorite year of the Shaw Rennick duo. If only they could have physically been able to play the show....

I always thought that 2010 was the weakest horn book and line of his time there. A lot of its (the music) problems were due to the source material. The bad drill didn't help anything either.

So does the horn line still have the Regiment sound?

That’s what I’ll be listening for…JD was good are picking that up from Wren and a lot of it was through the arranging

• Like 2

So does the horn line still have the Regiment sound?

That’s what I’ll be listening for…JD was good are picking that up from Wren and a lot of it was through the arranging

IF you consider the 'Phantom Regiment' sound as being sections of loud, blow your face off sound.......then you probably will be disappointed to some extent.

BUT if you remember the sweet (sometimes loud sometimes so soft and distinct) sound of sections paying together as part of a team, rather than in competition with other sections.....this year will be a treat.

This group has a lot of growing to do and a good program chosen to do that.

I feel, in the few times I have gotten to listen to this year's team, that they are playing first to each other, supporting each other's program parts, and then to us. We benefit from this. I have felt that the in the past few years the sections have been competing and thus the weakest of sections stood out even more.

All in all this year's sound will be a total Phantom team sound, IMO. It will be different yet very familiar.

• Like 2

IF you consider the 'Phantom Regiment' sound as being sections of loud, blow your face off sound.......then you probably will be disappointed to some extent.

BUT if you remember the sweet (sometimes loud sometimes so soft and distinct) sound of sections paying together as part of a team, rather than in competition with other sections.....this year will be a treat.

I feel, in the few times I have gotten to listen to this year's team, that they are playing first to each other, supporting each other's program parts, and then to us. We benefit from this. I have felt that the in the past few years the sections have been competing and thus the weakest of sections stood out even more.

All in all this year's sound will be a total Phantom team sound, IMO. It will be different yet very familiar.

I'm not sure if I agree completely with your assessment, but I do agree in part.

I do feel that the ensemble sound is much better than before. This is definitely a reflection of the arranger and brass caption head.

The competition (?) is what I'm not so sure about. I can definitely say that there have been times in the past few years that the trumpets sounded brash and tinny to me. This may have been a combo of writing and players. JD seemed, imo, to write with a preference to the high brass and made it slightly out of balance.

I still think that the Regiment sound is there and yes, they'll be loud.

Edited by chaos001

I can definitely say that there have been times in the past few years that the trumpets sounded brash and tinny to me. This may have been a combo of writing and players.

Or perhaps a third possibility : the instrument ( trumpet ) itself. The musical key as we all know is Bb and does have a naturally sounding " brash and tinny " sound compared to the lower pitched " G " key. ( at least it does to some experienced musical ears anyway ). I don't intend to get into the " G " vs. " Bb " controversy here, just pointing out that while the sound of " tinnyness " in the Phantom's trumpets sound you seem to be experiencing could be attributed to " writing " and/ or " players ", it could just as likely be the natural " tinnyness " sound of the musical instrument itself ( pitched in a minor third higher ) that your musical ears are experiencing, especially if you're familiar and used to the soprano's fuller, lower pitched " G " key sound. Just a thought anyway.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Or perhaps a third possibility : the instrument ( trumpet ) itself. The musical key as we all know is Bb and does have a naturally sounding " brash and tinny " sound compared to the lower pitched " G " key. ( at least it does to some experienced musical ears anyway ). I don't intend to get into the " G " vs. " Bb " controversy here, just pointing out that while the sound of " tinnyness " in the trumpets sound could be attributed to " writing " and/ or " players ", it could just as likely be the natural " tinnyness " sound of the musical instrument itself ( pitched in a minor third higher ) that your musical ears are experiencing, especially if you're familiar and used to the soprano's fuller, lower pitched " G " key. Just a thought anyway.

Definitely a possibility. It's happened with both brands (King and Jupiter) though. Plus, isn't it easier to blame people?!? lol.

You know, I enjoyed there sound, but I like quality too.

. . .well, that's disappointing.

I've never been a fan of Hill's arranging style. . . but I'll give it a shot for sure. Shaw spoiled us for many, many years. :tongue: