Do you have a favorite corps?

It's so hard to pick a favorite, so, I'll go with the "what corps makes me tear up the most when they play their old favorites" judging system. In that case, it's the Troopers. Madison a very close second.

I marched between the ages of 11 and 16 in the 70s (and am female) - so my answers for that time period is:

1. Madison. Why = boys

2. Cavaliers. Why = boys

And it should be no surprise that the Kilties of that same time period would be high on that list (I'd love an audio of Eli's Coming from my marching years.)

Today - its still the same two and in the same order - but now because I enjoy the music and show (sorry 2011 Cavies guard - as a former guard member I usually pay much more attention to the guard in shows - but I just couldn't get into your 2011 presentation so I sat back and observed much more of the rest of the corps that I normally would have).

Crossmen are (is?) quickly moving onto my list.

• Like 1

SCV & Blue Devils.

SCV because I grew up (and live) in Santa Clara, and would go to the hall every Sunday to watch them rehearse. And BD because I saw them warming up at Finals 07, and the something about them was just awesome.

• Like 1

Belles of St. Mary (Rhinelander) 'cause they got the Hodag. :lookaround:

• Like 1

Good question!

My heart will always be with The Cavaliers first and Star of Indiana second.

Since Star isn't around anymore, that second place goes to SCV. They are just so classy and have had so many great shows!

I LOVE the Bluecoats not only because I know so many people that marched with them in their rise to perennial top 12 status, but they also have some pretty bad ### shows...

Phantom Regiment is always great. They ALWAYS have great shows, even though I didn't appreciate a few of the shows I marched against from them.

Suncoast Sound was simply sublime and I really appreciate Madison using one of their pieces last year.

Carolina Crown - Mostly because of the Star connection. They've been so good since their brass program turned around.

Madison Scouts. - They're terrific and Madison is a GREAT city to live in! Too bad not many members are from there anymore.

Garfield Cadets/CBC - Great drill and brass...

Heh, basically I love most of the corps who either have really great Brass programs, really great visual programs, or both...

In the past I loved Limited Edition and Blue Stars when they were a Division II corps ( though I love that they're top 12 again)

Troopers, L'Insolite, and many other small corps have been great too. There are just so many corps.

Edited by jjeffeory

Just as you can't eat just one Lay's Potato chip, can you really have one favorite corps?

Favorite All Time: 27th Lancers

Current Favorite: Boston Crusaders; Love'm in the limelight, loved them when they should have been finalists, loved them in the lean years.

Honorable mentions: Phantom (I'm a classical music buff), Madison (come on, all the bus drivers have to do at the beginning of a tour is turn the ignition and everyone goes wild before they enter the field), Troopers, SCV (Bring back the Bottle Dance!) North Star (sadly missed)

Corps I'm Beginning to Appreciate: Carolina Crown

Edited by Tim K

Ok I'll play. If I were stranded on a desert island with nothing but bananas and coconuts and had only one corps to be with I would choose the Madison Scouts. I like their style.

• Like 1

The Cavaliers have always been my favorite. They were the ones that got me hooked on the activity, and they continue to blow me away year after year.

Phantom Regiment is a very close second. They, like the Cavies, impressed me with their looks alone, and then again with their incredible sound.

Of course, who doesn't love Carolina Crown? They're always fun to watch. The Bluecoats also have been a long time favorite, as well as the Madison Scouts. And more recently, I've become a big Boston Crusaders and Blue Knights fan.

I also usually like watching the Blue Devils. They're not always the most entertaining, but nobody can deny their incredible skill.

I'm probably missing a few...oh well.

I marched in the Garfield Cadets, have taught The Cadets, Troopers, Star of Indiana, Crossmen, and Jersey Surf. But my favorite drum corps of all time is the 1978 Bridgemen! Just the essence of what drum corps should be, not about score, not about placement, all about laying it out there and sharing the love of what they did with the audience!

Yes... I am getting old!

Edited by shorty
  • Like 2