Move DCI to Santa Clara!

DCI has been in Arrowhead stadium twice-1988 and '89. Awesome stadium, great parking, and there is plenty of room in the lot for corps to park and warm up as well. Not sure of the reasons why DCI never returned to Kansas City; but my memories from there are fantastic. Of course, having a championship ring from one of those years helps. :thumbup:

Edited by shortn'sour

"From the time of the 1912 additions of New Mexico and Arizona, until the 1959 additions of Alaska and Hawaii, the NGS placed the geographic center of the entire United States at a point near the town of Lebanon, Kansas. Since 1959 this location still stands as the Geographic Center of the Contiguous United States, while the geographic center of the entire U.S. moved to a point northeast of Belle Fourche, South Dakota."

Using the geographical center of the lower 48 only makes sense if participating corps were evenly distributed over that area. They aren't. The map I linked to earlier showed the center of mass of the 2011 finalists based on their official home town. Yeah it kinda sucks for the West Coast corps. But geography is what is. And the cumulative cost of bringing the East/Midwest to the West far outweighs the cost of bringing the West coast corps to the East/Midwest.

Funny how everyone views this. Although I doubt it will happen. I have 2 complaints.

1. Making it easy for the east coast and midwest corps and sticking the transportation cost on the west coats corps is hardly fair. The top WC corps can deal with the finances of this reasonable well. The smaller WC corps and Open class corps (that do not have feeder corps) have a harder time making it each and every year, especially as gas prices go up year on year. So, to keep everyone happy about keeping the show in Indy, I suggest those who want it to stay donate some funds to the west coast corps who need the support.LOL

2. a change every once in a while would do DCI some good. I beleive there is a bigger audience potential in Northern CA if it is there maybe every 5th year or so. For those of you who bring up the tuba problems, that is southern CA, not the bay area. This would also help the west coast corps as the shows they sponsor, like in the pacific NW would get a few more of the bigger corps and provide a large audience. swinging from denver through WA, OR would make a cool tour as well. Free day in Seattle or Portland is a way cool place to stop on the way down to CA. Just a thought for those of you who do not volunteer to work on putting on drum corps shows.

Everyone needs a change every now and then. That is human nature. Just saying.

I just want to point out that the gas prices are much higher in CA than the rest of the country. tongue.gif

• Like 1

DCI has been in Arrowhead stadium twice-1988 and '89. Awesome stadium, great parking, and there is plenty of room in the lot for corps to park and warm up as well. Not sure of the reasons why DCI never returned to Kansas City; but my memories from there are fantastic. Of course, having a championship ring from one of those years helps. :thumbup:

and now natural turf. few places want us for a few days. rumor is we do more damage in 3 days than cleats do

:rolleyes:

According to Wikipedia and the USGA:

"From the time of the 1912 additions of New Mexico and Arizona, until the 1959 additions of Alaska and Hawaii, the NGS placed the geographic center of the entire United States at a point near the town of Lebanon, Kansas. Since 1959 this location still stands as the Geographic Center of the Contiguous United States, while the geographic center of the entire U.S. moved to a point northeast of Belle Fourche, South Dakota."

Since there are no corps from Hawaii and Alaska, let's say it is Lebanon, Kansas. The cities with large stadiums capable of handling DCI would be Manhattan, KS (Kansas State University), Lawrence, KS (The University of Kansas), and Kansas City, MO (Arrowhead).

vfiles7723.jpg

kustadium.jpg

Arrowhead-Stadium.jpg

All of this geographic talk is interesting but ignores some important factors:

1. Indianapolis is world-class convention center. It has the hotel rooms, the restaurants, the infrastructure to handle large gatherings (like the Superbowl, NCAA Championships, Big Ten Championships, Pan-Am Games, BOA...not to mention the Indianapolis 500).

2. There is a large, committed marching fan base both in Indiana and in near adjacent states. In addition, schools, facilities, and so on are available close by in Indy, Carmel, Bloomington, etc.

3. Say what you will, Lucas Oil is a very nice place to watch anything. No bad seats, protection from the weather, brand new facilities, almost no security problems, great parking, and so on.

Having been there the last 3 years, I can say that I encountered no one who was unhappy about the place who was there. Of course, this is not a scientific sample, but many of the anti-Lucas folks on here seem to have not been there. "I'll never go to finals in a dome...Allentown is much more pure..." blah blah blah. I think the attendance and enthusiasm for DCI in Indy has been proven, and at some point people will just have to say, "They were right, I was wrong."

• Like 1

Having been there the last 3 years, I can say that I encountered no one who was unhappy about the place who was there. Of course, this is not a scientific sample, but many of the anti-Lucas folks on here seem to have not been there. "I'll never go to finals in a dome...Allentown is much more pure..." blah blah blah. I think the attendance and enthusiasm for DCI in Indy has been proven, and at some point people will just have to say, "They were right, I was wrong."

eh... some people don't go to finals in a dome. You will obviously not run into those people at finals in a dome. There are also posts on here every year about the problems with the listening environment. It's obviously not ideal. I think everyone agrees with that. But, for a lot of people, they see finals as the culmination of the season and they want to see the shows at their best, so they go anyway and put up with the less than ideal aspects.

• Like 2

I was pretty thrilled that finals was going to be moved to Indy on a permanent basis (let's be honest, barring some disaster it's gonna be permanent). But after two finals in LOS I decided it wasn't for me. The facilities are great, of course, as is the location. But I felt I didn't get sound quality commensurate with the value of my ticket, and it just seemed like a little bit of the life and the magic of finals was lost in the move indoors. Just my perception, though I've heard some performers make similar remarks. Now, the folks who have zero complaints about the dome tend to be Indy area band people who are, of course, inured to domes, especially since LOS sounds like Carnegie Hall when compared to the horror of the RCA Dome. Others I know have decided to settle and keep going despite the issues. And a few, like me, have just stopped going.

Now I completely understand the reasons for the move to Indy. It makes perfect financial sense. I hope it succeeds in the long run, and I think it will. DCI calculated that the savings from holding finals in one location would outweigh the inevitable drop in ticket sales. And so far it seems they were right. I'm not angry or bitter about it because I want DCI to succeed. But I get my drum corps fix five hours away in Murfreesboro, and not an hour away in Indy.

Also, while the move to Indy is perfectly reasonable, it's pretty pathetic how few people in this thread have shown any sympathy for the West Coast fans and parents who might never get a chance to attend finals.

Except for its famous auto race, what else is Indianapolis known for? Santa Clara is within an hour’s drive of San Francisco, Santa Cruz Beach and Boardwalk, Monterey/Carmel, Oakland and less than two hours to the wine country of Napa. Santa Clara is also the center of Silicon Valley, so its hotel/restaurant infrastructure is second to none. Even in August it doesn’t get extremely hot and is NEVER humid. West Coast fans, unless they are willing to travel thousands of miles, never get to see their favorite corps in late season form. A DCI title show in Santa Clara would allow DCI to split itself into two, sending half the corps via a southern route TX, NM, AZ, So Cal, Santa Clara and the other half the northern route ID, WA, OR, Santa Clara. There are literally thousands of fans waiting for such a tour. If the new 49er stadium becomes available, having a championship held there is a no brainer. How about in five years to celebrate SCV’s 50th anniversary?!

• Like 2

DCI is invested in Indy.

Also, having Indianapolis in the center-ish of the nation really helps tours. Having east coast corps drive all the way to the coast (I realize some do anyway) but then drive all the way BACK afterwards is a money hog. I think I remember some stories to that effect from '07.

But it's ok for the west coast corps to do it?