Best Impacts

1984 Garfield Cadets!

I'm voting with you (I don't think we have any votes), but I forgot about that moment and it may have been the most explosive and dynamic in the history of DC and then they followed it up with tremendous playing, a Z-pull and a hugh ending. If I get one vote, this is it.

Kevin

• Like 1

2. Crown in '09 - This is probably one of the most underrated hornlines to ever set foot on a DCI field and that first big hit of the opener is just jaw droppingly good.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Crown took the Ott trophy that year.

How many Crossmen does it take to change a light bulb? Just kidding. I hope the first one didn't get hurt. Just kidding again.

Kevin

• Like 1

Most of the biggies have been covered already, so I'll just name some that came to mind right when I read the question. I'm a sucker for company front impacts. That being said, SCV '89 Music of the Night and SCV '09 Simple Gifts are two of my favorites that still get me every time and send chills running up and down my body. Some other awesome impacts are PR '03 Canon, PR '89 NWS closer, Cavs '95 Jupiter, and SCV '87 Great Gate of Kiev.

Drum corps is definitely the best activity ever. ;)

Filling in some more that haven't been mentioned:

1998 Glassmen (first hit) - I believe Drum Corps World named them the loudest horn line of 1998?

2001 Glassmen: like it or not, IMAGO had some huge impacts

2003 Boston: impact at the end of the opener

1991 Crossmen: beginning of show. How has no one mentioned this yet?

Agree. Awesome hit, followed by great playing and drill and drill execution. Tremendous GE.

Not sure what you meant by the cheerios comment. Did you mean that there wer members who didn't do their part? I am somewhat mystified. Don't confuse this with the fact that I get a little foggy about what happened 50 years ago.

Kevin

I second the past posters who mentioned SCV 89, Cadets 00, the Phantom 03 reprise, Crown 08, and "The Boxer" from Bluecoats 08.

I'd add:

Opening to Cavies 00

First hornline entrance from Blue Stars 08

First phrase from BD 08 - backfield, and that thing was still balls loud. I'd hate to be in front of it.

• Like 1

Agree. Awesome hit, followed by great playing and drill and drill execution. Tremendous GE.

Not sure what you meant by the cheerios comment. Did you mean that there wer members who didn't do their part? I am somewhat mystified. Don't confuse this with the fact that I get a little foggy about what happened 50 years ago.

Kevin

A few of the tpets played with ugly, strident, out of tune sounds the whole show. Such an awesome show, just some people a little too excited, I guess.

Wayyyy back in the day when we discussed this online, this is one of the things the old timers pointed to to prove that Bb wouldn't work. They were wrong in that aspect, it had nothing to do with key, it was just some people really forcing things.