Cadets Offer $1500. in tour credits for mellophone soloist

...Very disappointed that my fellow drum corps fans could be so jaded. Disappointed that one corps' quest for something special this summer is rendered unfairly as a bribe to win a ring.

I am with you. I do not think solos have ever really influenced the outcome of competitions. Whether solos are nailed or botched, or added or removed during the season, you do not see changes in caption scores on that account.

What's really at issue here? We surely wouldn't be having this conversation if Cadets had recruited this player in the winter. So it's timing? Because recruiting a lyrical mello shouldn't be the issue - not even in spring. Money? Because an alum volunteered some cash? We lament all the time how potential members sit the summer out for financial reasons. So some generous soul offers to ease one player's burden. That's saints, not sinners.

This is not just easing the burden for a member. The eventual beneficiary of this incentive may not be a member yet.

As I said before, my concern is with the long term implications of this behavior. I am not necessarily opposed to drum corps pursuing talent with such incentives. They can pay the performers for all I care - if they can afford to. But there is where my concern lies.

How far will we slide down this slippery slope? Will corps make a habit of this sort of thing? Will talented musicians be incentivized to remain free agents until the good offers come along in April? Will top corps get in bidding wars over the best players? Will other corps be priced out of the talent market? And most importantly, for all the corps who have nurtured their winter programs into educational experiences and revenue generators, will that whole concept go the way of the dinosaur?

If the activity could afford to indulge in this behavior, I would have no problem with it. But that is not the case. To balance the books, the educational component of the drum corps experience needs to be emphasized, promoted and monetized.

Playing the hand you're dealt? As in settling? As in status quo? Like drum corps isn't about the reach? The stretch? Some are acting as if the entry of a new body into the field isn't fair. When was the cutoff? Corps fill holes - needs - well into the summer all the time. Yet we want to treat this as if its dirty because this player will play a solo. It matters why?

Recruiting premier performers is an age-old tradition in drum corps.

So is teaching the people you have how to become exceptional performers. Or should I change that sentence to past tense?

Already in this thread I've told the story of one BD soloist recruit. We all know there have been plenty of others.

The Cadets have an opening and they want to fill it. Nothing could be more natural. They are doing precisely what other corps are doing and will continue doing. They are seeking the talent necessary for the program they have. The only difference is the Cadets are more transparent. They've advertised their intention on the Internet. And as we all know too well, too often on the Internet, our vision and voices push past the boundaries of reason and judgment.

You are correct - the difference is in making such an overt incentive offer, and at such a late stage in the seasonal cycle. Like you said, had the Cadets announced their solo plans in the fall and invited mellophone players to audition in November for the featured role, we would not be having this conversation.

• Like 1

To me it seems like a slight slap in the face. You wouldn't open this up unless you were not 100% confident that a person in the hornline could not play the role. Sure, they all could audition. You should be using what you have within the ranks. They should be able to fill any spot in the show with someone within that horn line. If not, might the music or design be over written for the kids that are in the ranks now.

Why would it be a slap in the face, If in fact there was currently no one in the horn-line/melo-line who can handle the solo as the Cadets want it to be handled? One would assume that before going out to the marketplace for a player, and admitting that the current World Champs have an unfulfilled need, that internal testing was conducted... I mean we are talking about professionals evaluating this process such as Gino Cipriani. ETC. :blink:

It would be a slap to tell people who are not capable, that in fact that they are not capable? I am not saying that this is for sure the case... But it seems some here should allow the professionals to act as such! What if when asked for volunteers for the solo... No one stepped forward? (It is just as plausable as the other unfounded scenarios floating around here)

Waffles are good food! Unless they're Blue Waffles!

Maybe this came about because their mellophone section leader, quite possibly the soloist also, quit recently......

• Like 4

I'm with Sam on this one and I'm sure the staff, Cipriani et.al. looked at the whole picture. I also agree that the Cadets are transparent. What's the alternative, being opaque and sneaking around to raid someone else?

The purpose of winter is to audition, assess talent, determine strengths and weaknesses and deal with it. It can take months to do that.

All the big ones offer scholarships, but I don't see anything being published about how many they offer and for how much.

If you want to know, call your favorite Corps and ask. If they won't tell you, what are they hiding?

Yea transparency, boo opacity.

Kevin

• Like 1

Best post, so far, in the thread.

I heard from a birdie that wasn't the only person who quit.

• Like 1