Cadets Offer $1500. in tour credits for mellophone soloist

My name starts with H which comes after G giving me the right to comment on the questions (though not answer them). And my initial comment is:

...Very disappointed that my fellow drum corps fans could be so jaded. Disappointed that one corps' quest for something special this summer is rendered unfairly as a bribe to win a ring.

What's really at issue here? We surely wouldn't be having this conversation if Cadets had recruited this player in the winter. So it's timing? Because recruiting a lyrical mello shouldn't be the issue - not even in spring. Money? Because an alum volunteered some cash? We lament all the time how potential members sit the summer out for financial reasons. So some generous soul offers to ease one player's burden. That's saints, not sinners.

Playing the hand you're dealt? As in settling? As in status quo? Like drum corps isn't about the reach? The stretch? Some are acting as if the entry of a new body into the field isn't fair. When was the cutoff? Corps fill holes - needs - well into the summer all the time. Yet we want to treat this as if its dirty because this player will play a solo. It matters why?

Recruiting premier performers is an age-old tradition in drum corps. Already in this thread I've told the story of one BD soloist recruit. We all know there have been plenty of others.

The Cadets have an opening and they want to fill it. Nothing could be more natural. They are doing precisely what other corps are doing and will continue doing. They are seeking the talent necessary for the program they have. The only difference is the Cadets are more transparent. They've advertised their intention on the Internet. And as we all know too well, too often on the Internet, our vision and voices push past the boundaries of reason and judgment.

HH

But you can't comment until G comments, because H does come after G. :tongue:

(and it's big G, not a little g like me)

Heck, my corps bribed me to march. Not because they wanted my talent so much as they had a whole to fill. But they cut me a deal just the same.

My comments were parenthetical, relaying the generalization that I got from reading this entire thread. I, personally, don't begrudge G anything in this discussion.

The question that many seem to be asking, G, is why would you do this at all (kudos to the awesome audition)?

Why not let the chips on your pre-season choices fall where they may? Aren't you, instead, showcasing what you can buy, versus what you can create over a season? And is that the slope we want to stand on?

Or is it simply that filling this spot will better get you to first place in August, and that means 'X' extra dollars over second place?

(disclaimer: I have a high degree of confidence that your show will be drop-dead gorgeous, no matter how you fill your ranks.)

You've pointed on an interesting point that there is a right and wrong way to fill your ranks. Here are rules that constitute the "right" way. :lookaround:

1. You cannot recruit for new positions after the first 3 months of the pre-season. Most people audition that at time and it's not fair for those that come in late in the season. If holes appear they should just "let the chips on your pre-season choices fall where they may."

2. Scholarships cannot be given to auditionees. Under no circumstances should scholarships be used to foster a wider audition pool because it's unfair for people who aren't good enough to get that scholarship.

3. No alumni support. Alumni are only allowed to donate to the corps through general means and should not be allowed to give money directly to ANY person who has auditioned and made the corps.

4. Everyone must pay the full tuition and under no circumstances will any break in tuition be allowed because of fairness.

5. Corps are not allowed to incentivize their audition pool at all! No discounts, free merchandise, or make promises of a "good time" and "friendly people".

Edited by charlie1223

I have heard the story of a guy who Marched BD way back when...

His marching experience was kind of funny as he had NO parental support to march and the corps kind of took him under their wing. I think he even roomed with Mr. Downey for a while to get on his own two feet. He marched for free for several years, but because of what was put into him, by the organization... He worked his tail off and developed into a soloist for his age out year.

I thought it was a pretty cool story even though most everyone else had to pay to be there!

So, I am as far from a Cadet homer as you can get... Got beat by them back in 84! Didn't like it! BUT... I see no wrong in helping someone out. Will this be a similar scenario. Not necessarily, but possibly... :cool:

My name starts with H which comes after G giving me the right to comment on the questions (though not answer them). And my initial comment is:

...Very disappointed that my fellow drum corps fans could be so jaded. Disappointed that one corps' quest for something special this summer is rendered unfairly as a bribe to win a ring.

What's really at issue here? We surely wouldn't be having this conversation if Cadets had recruited this player in the winter. So it's timing? Because recruiting a lyrical mello shouldn't be the issue - not even in spring. Money? Because an alum volunteered some cash? We lament all the time how potential members sit the summer out for financial reasons. So some generous soul offers to ease one player's burden. That's saints, not sinners.

Playing the hand you're dealt? As in settling? As in status quo? Like drum corps isn't about the reach? The stretch? Some are acting as if the entry of a new body into the field isn't fair. When was the cutoff? Corps fill holes - needs - well into the summer all the time. Yet we want to treat this as if its dirty because this player will play a solo. It matters why?

Recruiting premier performers is an age-old tradition in drum corps. Already in this thread I've told the story of one BD soloist recruit. We all know there have been plenty of others.

The Cadets have an opening and they want to fill it. Nothing could be more natural. They are doing precisely what other corps are doing and will continue doing. They are seeking the talent necessary for the program they have. The only difference is the Cadets are more transparent. They've advertised their intention on the Internet. And as we all know too well, too often on the Internet, our vision and voices push past the boundaries of reason and judgment.

HH

Quite a bit of common sense in this post here.

... Not sure how it found its way to DCP....

PAPA JOHNS IS ALSO OFFERING THEIR NEW BUFFALO CHICKEN PIZZA FOR $10! PIZZA HUT IS OUTRAGED!!!!doh.gif

• Like 1

They should throw in unlimited waffles in addition to the $1500. That'd bring 'em in for sure.

I don't get it, I think you made a bad joke.

• Like 1

I don't get it, I think you made a bad joke.

You would have had to be around here for a little while to get the waffle reference...

You've pointed on an interesting point that there is a right and wrong way to fill your ranks. Here are rules that constitute the "right" way. :lookaround:

1. You cannot recruit for new positions after the first 3 months of the pre-season. Most people audition that at time and it's not fair for those that come in late in the season. If holes appear they should just "let the chips on your pre-season choices fall where they may."

2. Scholarships cannot be given to auditionees. Under no circumstances should scholarships be used to foster a wider audition pool because it's unfair for people who aren't good enough to get that scholarship.

3. No alumni support. Alumni are only allowed to donate to the corps through general means and should not be allowed to give money directly to ANY person who has auditioned and made the corps.

4. Everyone must pay the full tuition and under no circumstances will any break in tuition be allowed because of fairness.

5. Corps are not allowed to incentivize their audition pool at all! No discounts, free merchandise, or make promises of a "good time" and "friendly people".

I feel compelled to ask: Who made up these rules?

• Like 1

I feel compelled to ask: Who made up these rules?

I believe Charlie did.