Cadets Offer $1500. in tour credits for mellophone soloist

Its amusing to see the volume of folks poo-pooing this thread's existance and expressing surprise at it's continuation, hence contributing to the continuation. If you think a thread should die, do your part.

illegal use of logic. 3 straight run thrus, no water breaks in between

Who said debating is not allowed on DCP? The main point here is the fact that this lengthy debate has taken place over a non-issue. The Cadets have done nothing wrong here. If you are going to debate something, pick a real issue. This is nothing more than a veiled excuse to bash Hopkins.

like people need a reason :tongue:

gota admit tho, nice of him to come in, post and fan the flames.

what's that they say about no such thing as bad PR, as long as people are talking it's all good?

But which one shows better on a resume?

Oh, I agree that those are wonderful programs...just discussing the financial aspects and whether a summer of drum corps at 3K is a worthy endeavor. Actually, for a future HS band director, spending time performing in a WC corps is a very valuable resume item to have, IMO....but again, so are the others.

what's that they say about no such thing as bad PR, as long as people are talking it's all good?

Sounds like the Boxer dog my sister found out by Italian Lake in dun-tun Harrisburg. He didn't care if he was getting talked to nicely or getting screamed at, just looooong as he was getting attention.

And he knew more ways of getting yelled at than talked to nicely. Amazing how many people freak when a 80+ lb dog jumps on the hood of their car. :shutup:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Oh, I agree that those are wonderful programs...just discussing the financial aspects and whether a summer of drum corps at 3K is a worthy endeavor. Actually, for a future HS band director, spending time performing in a WC corps is a very valuable resume item to have, IMO....but again, so are the others.

Didn't mean to promote those other activities; I've investigated the best in the country, and I can't find a one of them that offers the total-life growth that drum corps does. IMO, send your kids to Interlochen from13 to 15, then send them to drum corps. And I'm not convinced that spending at Interlochen or brass wind camp is really worth the amounts they charge. In fact, I think drum corps is priced at about a 40% or 50% discount relative to the experience it provides.

On the resume, drum corps belongs up where you list things like miliatry service. Specialized music training is just gravy to that.

i heard an absolutely beautiful audition tape tonight for the solo.

awesome .....

The question that many seem to be asking, G, is why would you do this at all (kudos to the awesome audition)?

Why not let the chips on your pre-season choices fall where they may? Aren't you, instead, showcasing what you can buy, versus what you can create over a season? And is that the slope we want to stand on?

Or is it simply that filling this spot will better get you to first place in August, and that means 'X' extra dollars over second place?

(disclaimer: I have a high degree of confidence that your show will be drop-dead gorgeous, no matter how you fill your ranks.)

• Like 2

I've attempted, since HW left Boston, to not infer what a corps should or shouldn't do, because I damm well don't want any corps telling me how our home should be decorated/painted or what type motorcycle/car I shoud ride/drive. So to all DCI corps; play what you want, dress who you want to march, hire who you want to instruct, and give it your best shot.

The question that many seem to be asking, G, is why would you do this at all (kudos to the awesome audition)?

Why not let the chips on your pre-season choices fall where they may? Aren't you, instead, showcasing what you can buy, versus what you can create over a season? And is that the slope we want to stand on?

Or is it simply that filling this spot will better get you to first place in August, and that means 'X' extra dollars over second place?

(disclaimer: I have a high degree of confidence that your show will be drop-dead gorgeous, no matter how you fill your ranks.)

My name starts with H which comes after G giving me the right to comment on the questions (though not answer them). And my initial comment is:

...Very disappointed that my fellow drum corps fans could be so jaded. Disappointed that one corps' quest for something special this summer is rendered unfairly as a bribe to win a ring.

What's really at issue here? We surely wouldn't be having this conversation if Cadets had recruited this player in the winter. So it's timing? Because recruiting a lyrical mello shouldn't be the issue - not even in spring. Money? Because an alum volunteered some cash? We lament all the time how potential members sit the summer out for financial reasons. So some generous soul offers to ease one player's burden. That's saints, not sinners.

Playing the hand you're dealt? As in settling? As in status quo? Like drum corps isn't about the reach? The stretch? Some are acting as if the entry of a new body into the field isn't fair. When was the cutoff? Corps fill holes - needs - well into the summer all the time. Yet we want to treat this as if its dirty because this player will play a solo. It matters why?

Recruiting premier performers is an age-old tradition in drum corps. Already in this thread I've told the story of one BD soloist recruit. We all know there have been plenty of others.

The Cadets have an opening and they want to fill it. Nothing could be more natural. They are doing precisely what other corps are doing and will continue doing. They are seeking the talent necessary for the program they have. The only difference is the Cadets are more transparent. They've advertised their intention on the Internet. And as we all know too well, too often on the Internet, our vision and voices push past the boundaries of reason and judgment.

HH

• Like 2