2012 Blue Devils

As much as I would like to hype this, I won't. I hyped 2010 when I saw La Suerte in their rep along with Kenton. Disappointing sadly. But I didn't hype last seasons and was thrilled for the first time since 04! Hope it stays that way and really hope this doesn't turn into chopped up arrangements with all that music in there. Hopefully they can do a good mix of all the melodies aka Southwind 05

• Like 1

Which is ironic, because (IMO) this is one of the few shows where props might actually be useful and pertinent to the show concept.

True, but all of the rumors I've been hearing are no props this year in the show. It could help, but maybe they'll just use everything they've been using since '05 (cots, chairs, mirrors, house)

Or, how about a brief respite to figure out what the fans were saying so they might score well and be loved at the same time?

My hope is that they combine the absurdity with the mass appeal this time. My hope is that they accomplish that here. But, if they revert, Plan, you'll be working hard next August to explain why the fans are sitting on their hands because they just don't understand...

My hunch is that we might, finally, get the show you've been telling us we saw two years ago. I can hear almost hear your words now...

"See, I told you so!"

I'm with Jeff...I'll wait to see if the excitement of the source material translates into the same excitement on the field.

But it will be fun, won't it?

:tongue:

Again, with the "mass" anything. That is so not-dada....it's more along the lines of daduh! :tongue:

Oh my friend, the show was there two years ago (and the two previous years)....but one can only lead a horse to water, you can't make him clap (i.e. sitting on their hooves). Simply stated: popularity is no measure of talent, quality or art....that's why most classic artists died poor. It's for this reason that nearly all American Idol winners are faint memories now (forgotten, vaporized)..no substance. True longevity exists in art when we see beyond the popular norms. In my view, this is exactly where BD is trying to pull design....kicking and screaming.

Look at the trend of the recent BD show themes....Absurdity/Risking, Depression/Shell Shock, Reflection/Disturbing, Burt?? (hey, Cesario insisted), Dada/Culture Re-imagined.......these are designers who are looking through a different prism altogether; The only way they are able to see the same "yesterday" that so many DCPers do (and even long for) is through that glass and darkly. They might even suggest that if you want BD 96....go get the video! (please ignore the snarkyness of that, but that may be the sentiment).

Personal Opinion Alert: I expect a full-on assault on the metronome this year. A brilliant assault. And as in true dada fashion...your validation of their design will not be a requirement. I would even say (although it is always a lovely thing to get) it isn't expected. Afterall, the center of gravity for Dadaism is anarchy...in short, lawlessness. Rejecting reason, embracing non-sense as a means of shocking the insanity of normal. Doesn't exactly sound like "Dress right, DRESS!" to me (inside humor for us military types :rolleyes: ). No G, this will be a design that inspires intuition and counter-culture (not a very far leap from the structured world of Drum Corps)....... and they have the chops to do it!

• Like 2

Will there be playing and marching simultaneously, or is that concept too base for the scope of the designers?

Heh.

For all the navel-gazing that the show description throws out, I imagine they'll get that in somewhere along the way.

I'm already not looking forward to the inevitable "this drum corps show is deep, dude" arguments.

Hint: Duchamp didn't have to worry about a score, folks. :lol:

I bet they run around the field, play a lot of notes and finish in the top 3.

Otherwise, can’t make too much of a show announcement like this but I will say, judging from the poster, it looks like they will be true to Dadaism where as many, all too often, misuse Dadaism as an excuse for an incoherent mess so that’s impressive

I could see the improv being visual, it’d fit their style, sort of a running scatter drill that hits different marks then re-sets. I could also see a lot of improv in the guard. The show would also lead itself to split fields, sections of the corps but often what makes that effective is emotional connections, picking a side so that may be risky if done for its own sake. Also, improv in drum corps would seem to need a context which, I’m not sure would exits when judging 1 show, 1 night only and often with improv, it stops being improv after many performances because you hit the thing that works better than the others and go back to it

Could be interesting, loved their show last year so I have high hopes for this year

Edited by cowtown

Will there be playing and marching simultaneously, or is that concept too base for the scope of the designers?

Oh come on! There are multiple simultaneous responsibilities occurring other than **just* march and playing together in a modern drum corps show. ph34r.gif

Edited by jjeffeory

I'm already not looking forward to the inevitable "this drum corps show is deep, dude" arguments.

Yeah, and the thing is they'll probably win again because they are the cleanest, but their competitive success will provide validation to the people who actually buy into the pseudo-intellectualism here.

I think we take ourselves a bit too seriously. It's marching band, not a seminar in art theory.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

• Like 2

Heh.

For all the navel-gazing that the show description throws out, I imagine they'll get that in somewhere along the way.

Hint: Duchamp didn't have to worry about a score, folks. :lol:

And an esoteric Blue Devils corps does? :tongue:

Personal Opinion Alert: I expect a full-on assault on the metronome this year. A brilliant assault. And as in true dada fashion... Afterall, the center of gravity for Dadaism is anarchy...in short, lawlessness. Rejecting reason, embracing non-sense !

" la Dada da... da dada da...Hey, Hey Hey, Goodbye!

( again refrain ):... la Dada da... da dada da... Hey, Hey, Goodby!

I believe that I can learn to appreciate and embrace " nonsense " as much as the next person. So I say go for it, BD !

Edited by BRASSO