It's Official, Cadets need a new PR writer

I don't even see it as complacent ( for the corps, not you). I see it as people need to design smart. if you only have 30 brass, dont write for 50 and stage for 50.

What I mean is this- If you know you only need to beat one corps- and that corps is in trouble to be a finalist- maybe you arrange and design far more carefully and conservatively to make sure you can beat that group and get in. Worry about getting higher placement later.

Also, it's important to make finals- voting in DCA. A place in decision making. Unless this has changed, you also get more money for appearances at contests.

The value of being a finalist in recruiting I would still think is also pretty high. It was when I was a kid.

Edited by BigW

I don't even see it as complacent ( for the corps, not you). I see it as people need to design smart. if you only have 30 brass, dont write for 50 and stage for 50.

.....and if there is an error in judgement and a show is written and staged for 50 brass and a corps only has 30; those 30 performers should be really fat to close up the forms and intervals. :blink:

• Like 1

Also, it's important to make finals- voting in DCA. A place in decision making.

If I remember correctly, full voting status does not go to the "finalists", but rather to the corps with the top ten prelim scores regardless of class. By this system, class A corps have the opportunity to earn full voting status, as two did at the most recent championship.

If I remember correctly, full voting status does not go to the "finalists", but rather to the corps with the top ten prelim scores regardless of class. By this system, class A corps have the opportunity to earn full voting status, as two did at the most recent championship.

Correct.

Whats the point of having 10 in finals when there is 11 or twelve corps? I think it was 2010 they just let the Kilties perform and all 11 got to perform on finals night?

I don't see the point.

If your going to make this about competition Cut it back to 6 and 6 has been the best suggestion. Otherwise just have Judged exhibition and rank them in order. Or do something like the alumni corps and all the corps perform and no scores are awarded.

Otherwise 10 corps is pointless. Means that one corps will be sitting on the sidelines on finals night. Or not.

• Like 2

Whats the point of having 10 in finals when there is 11 or twelve corps? I think it was 2010 they just let the Kilties perform and all 11 got to perform on finals night?

I don't see the point.

If your going to make this about competition Cut it back to 6 and 6 has been the best suggestion. Otherwise just have Judged exhibition and rank them in order. Or do something like the alumni corps and all the corps perform and no scores are awarded.

Otherwise 10 corps is pointless. Means that one corps will be sitting on the sidelines on finals night. Or not.

hasnt it kind of always been like that?....with 1 or two..or very few cut,,,BUT I think youre right..............top opens and top A corps would make for a real championship night..jmo

Edited by GUARDLING

I don't see the point.

I think it "may"(?) be at the desecration of the exec committee on allowing any exhibitions by any additional corps. In the case of The Kilties in 2010; The Kilties actually placed within the top 10 scoring "North American" corps, which meets the by-law requirement that allowed The Kilties to be a voting member of the DCA organization, and would had placed the corps within finals if just North American corps were present. Thus, in 2010, The Kilties achieved membership status and that "may" had been the case for an exhibition at finals, I don't know for sure. But, it appears it is more common to have an open corps exhibition than not in recent years....for whatever case; and there's nothing better than seeing more drum corps perform whenever we can!!

.....and all that info and 47 cents still only gets someone a senior cup of coffee at the local McDonald's! :blink:

I think it "may"(?) be at the desecration of the exec committee on allowing any exhibitions by any additional corps. In the case of The Kilties in 2010; The Kilties actually placed within the top 10 scoring "North American" corps, which meets the by-law requirement that allowed The Kilties to be a voting member of the DCA organization, and would had placed the corps within finals if just North American corps were present. Thus, in 2010, The Kilties achieved membership status and that "may" had been the case for an exhibition at finals, I don't know for sure. But, it appears it is more common to have an open corps exhibition than not in recent years....for whatever case; and there's nothing better than seeing more drum corps perform whenever we can!!

.....and all that info and 47 cents still only gets someone a senior cup of coffee at the local McDonald's! :blink:

Don't get me wrong I was not knocking that Kilties were let in. To the contrary I thought it was most appropriate.

My point is that is silly to say your going to have a finals night where the top 10 open class corps will be in finals where there is only 11 corps. Either just say everyone is in or draw the line in sand.

I see Frans point from earlier that a lot of good corps might not get seen on finals night. Lets face it this next part of my post is sad. Not everyone fills the stands to see the bottom 5. Many watch the lots or can be found at a pub till the top 5 come on. So what we are talking about here is not a lot of fans missing out on the bottom 4 if it were go to the top 6. Sad but true.

hasnt it kind of always been like that?....with 1 or two..or very few cut,,,BUT I think youre right..............top opens and top A corps would make for a real championship night..jmo

I think you would potentially see some corps' that have to pile on the miles (and time) seriously taking a good hard look at the worth of the high expenses in travel, lodging, etc. at (and to) the Championships to potentially simply sit in the stands under a 6/6 scenario. Especially Open Class corps with up to 100 plus members they have to feed, lodge and transport that may fall into the 7-8-9 or 10 Open Class positions.........but yet be left out of the mix.

• Like 2

I think you would potentially see some corps' that have to pile on the miles (and time) seriously taking a good hard look at the worth of the high expenses in travel, lodging, etc. at (and to) the Championships to potentially simply sit in the stands under a 6/6 scenario. Especially Open Class corps with up to 100 plus members they have to feed, lodge and transport that may fall into the 7-8-9 or 10 Open Class positions.........but yet be left out of the mix.

hmmm so is it about this or being worthy of being in finals? ..if thats the case( what youre saying) dont bother having a prelims and just let everyone in.Ive been around DCA and DCI many years and still dont get this I guess..lol......Although I did like Kilts in finals I must admit.

I do see your point just dont se it as much of a contest and why leave 1 or 2 out.

Edited by GUARDLING