It's Official, Cadets need a new PR writer

hmmm so is it about this or being worthy of being in finals..if thats the case do t bother having a prelims and just let everyone in.Ive been around DCA and DCI many years and still dont get this I guess..lol......Although I did like Kilts in finals I must admit.

I guess each corps has their own philosophy as to what their focus is on; and their decisions are made based on those internal philosophies; be them performance opportunities, finances, etc.

I can only reflect on The Kilties; we're in it for the participants of the organization and to give them a positive and uplifting experience, along with helping where and whenever we can to promote and support the activity, and entertain the fans (of course!!). Every member (no matter who or what position within the whole organization) must give their finest (on and off the field).....if one does not give it their best; you are cheating yourself and letting down all those around you....you learn THAT real fast!! We simply strive for excellence on and off the field..and with that, things tend to take care of themselves....because we have no control over anything else.

So the past several posts are about the OP? LOL Good stuff you guys but who changed the direction of the OP?

I guess each corps has their own philosophy as to what their focus is on; and their decisions are made based on those internal philosophies; be them performance opportunities, finances, etc.

I can only reflect on The Kilties; we're in it for the participants of the organization and to give them a positive and uplifting experience, along with helping where and whenever we can to promote and support the activity, and entertain the fans (of course!!). Every member (no matter who or what position within the whole organization) must give their finest (on and off the field).....if one does not give it their best; you are cheating yourself and letting down all those around you....you learn THAT real fast!! We simply strive for excellence on and off the field..and with that, things tend to take care of themselves....because we have no control over anything else.

and thats great and maybe how it should be. I have always admired Kilts even through my Jr. years and do now But it is still a competition. If DCA wants to go in that direction , thats fine for DCA but as I said why bother with a prelims or cutting only 1 or 2 let everyone in and even have 2 perfromances if they want.

hmmm so is it about this or being worthy of being in finals? ..if thats the case( what youre saying) dont bother having a prelims and just let everyone in.Ive been around DCA and DCI many years and still dont get this I guess..lol......Although I did like Kilts in finals I must admit.

I do see your point just dont se it as much of a contest and why leave 1 or 2 out.

well WGI takes 15 world finalists and has what...20 world guards? so cut them so more opens can perform? more A's?

I hate to say this, as I don't believe size equals quality, but you see more ##### in the seats when 10th place hits the field than you do when the 4 A class corps go on at finals

well WGI takes 15 world finalists and has what...20 world guards? so cut them so more opens can perform? more A's?

I hate to say this, as I don't believe size equals quality, but you see more ##### in the seats when 10th place hits the field than you do when the 4 A class corps go on at finals

WGI maybe had 27 this year..cant remember.... and the past few years over 30i think BUT...Just doesnt seem much of a feat to make finals when theres 11 or 12 in prelims...take them all..or make it a real contest..seemed even more silly to have 11 and let the 11th place do an exhibition...just put them in the contest..lol..or like i said make it a real contest for finals.

Edited by GUARDLING

If your going to make this about competition Cut it back to 6 and 6 has been the best suggestion.

Like I said earlier... I disagree.

A "6 and 6" formula this year would leave as many as eight Open Class corps out... and as few as one Class A corps out. (The way the numbers appear to be breaking, again from my own math.)

• Like 1

So the past several posts are about the OP? LOL Good stuff you guys but who changed the direction of the OP?

Good point, Keith... and I am one of the ones guilty of straying off-topic here.

Back on topic, I hope.

Edited by Fran Haring

When I was first introduced to drum corps in the seventies, I had the opportunity to attend a show with my friends in which the Caballeros performed. We all became instant fans and considered Cabs as a standard setter. That is why so many years later when I was able to compete against them it was very meaningful. And when my friends heard that we were actually fortunate enough to place ahead of them in some contests, my friends were suitably impressed because we still consider the Cabs as a benchmark for the activity and thus to have placed ahead of them was a great accomplishment. No disrespect to other corps since this is based on my own personal background.

My point is that as a performer and competitor you want to compete with the best. Otherwise how meaningful are any of your accomplishments? I welcome Cadets2 and the entire organization to DCA and hope they do come out with a strong program as most expect. So, God willing, when I return to the field in 2013 I will have the honor to compete with a corps with the level of quality befitting that organization. It is no dishonor to lose to a corps like Cabs or what I hope C2 will prove to be. The only dishonor would be to quit or not even try. Trust me, I will be ready to deserve the honor to share the field with them.

• Like 2

Like I said earlier... I disagree.

A "6 and 6" formula this year would leave as many as eight Open Class corps out... and as few as one Class A corps out. (The way the numbers appear to be breaking, again from my own math.)

Couldn't agree more Fran. 6 and 6 is not the correct ratio IMO. Maybe 7 and 5. 7 Open Class corps keeps the field pretty competitive and makes a performance at finals an achievement vs. a guarantee for some. I t also keeps the Top 5 on their game when they realize they are only 1 or 2 spots away from an early elimination vs the current format.

And 5 A class corps would seem the right number to keep the game up in A class. Only 6 Open class corps seems too thin. It's no disrespect to the A class corps but you have to remember the scope of why A class even exists in the first place. I was always under the impression that A class was formed to give the smaller corps a fighting chance vs being smothered by the larger corps, similar to Division II//III vs Division I in DCI ( Now World Vs. Open). That doesn't mean A class is the red headed step-children, but you have to look at the what your loosing by taking away more Open class spots in a 6 and 6 format.

Edited by irishbugle
  • Like 2