Professional Drum and Bugle Corps league/organization

SCDA is the Small Drum Corps Association

DCNA is Drum Corps North America

Both are organizations that support small regional Drum and Bugle corps

I've heard of the first group. They are the ones that post ambiguous information and a link to a poorly designed web site in the DCA forums. Love the idea, not impressed with the approach. Never heard of the second group at all.

In all honesty, *if* small, local drum corps are going to make a real come back, it's not going to happen at the circuit level. It's going to happen by groups that want to really reach out to at-risk kids, and do so as part of a larger organization. Parades, indoor guard/drumline/dance teams are where you start. Maybe a parade unit for local events. Groups like Light Brigade in Philly, or Imperial Dynasty in Wilmington, DE are the models for how to do things the right way.

Trying to put together a competitive drum corps aimed at local kids is putting the cart before the horse, which is all too common with many start-ups in the drum corps activity.

I've heard of the first group. They are the ones that post ambiguous information and a link to a poorly designed web site in the DCA forums. Love the idea, not impressed with the approach. Never heard of the second group at all.

In all honesty, *if* small, local drum corps are going to make a real come back, it's not going to happen at the circuit level. It's going to happen by groups that want to really reach out to at-risk kids, and do so as part of a larger organization. Parades, indoor guard/drumline/dance teams are where you start. Maybe a parade unit for local events. Groups like Light Brigade in Philly, or Imperial Dynasty in Wilmington, DE are the models for how to do things the right way.

Trying to put together a competitive drum corps aimed at local kids is putting the cart before the horse, which is all too common with many start-ups in the drum corps activity.

John..I agree with you ...also have you looked at some of the videos? the 1st time I watched, in a way it was kind of nostalgic BUT with that said I really thought I was looking at 1958 drum corps. Now Im not saying all are like this BUT WOW! Not sure this is the way to attract younger people..thats for sure..

I will say, if this form of the activity works for some and Im sure it does..have a ball

Edited by GUARDLING

Exactly what I'm talking about.

And there are more programs like this around the nation; so please go support them if that is your cup of tea. However, just know that there is not nearly as much community interest in this type of marching activity programming (even in the inner city) as there was back in the day. Put together a Rap Music program, put together a Video Game program, put together a Basketball program, and that is where you will find the interest of the inner city youth of today. Community drum corps; not much interest.

By the way, SDCA is not really competitive at all; the only awards given are from audience clapping and every unit gets a participation award. And as for their website, what the heck do you expect? Professionalism like DCI? SDCA is a local type program just like what you desire for heaven's sake!

Edited by Stu

And there are more programs like this around the nation; so please go support them if that is your cup of tea. However, just know that there is not nearly as much community interest in this type of marching activity programming (even in the inner city) as there was back in the day. Put together a Rap Music program, put together a Video Game program, put together a Basketball program, and that is where you will find the interest of the inner city youth of today. Community drum corps; not much interest.

Absolutely correct.

Groups that are starting indoor drumlines are seeing a great deal of success. One of the ones I mentioned, Imperial Dynasty, has a program for at-risk and inner city kids that will blow your socks off. Their program has grown every year since it's inception, and has expended to include a second drumline and also a color guard. They are taught by people that get it, both educationally (the most important) and performance wise (secondary).

The other thing is that from what I can tell looking at the pictures, videos and show schedules, SDCA isn't creating or supporting the local drum corps we're talking about. It's mostly alumni groups and older folks who like the alumni thing. The only youth-oriented groups I see are DCI Open Class corps looking for a performance opportunity. That's not exactly supporting or encouraging the local start up corps as the OP stated, is it?

If the alumni crowd is into SDCA, more power to them. But that stuff, that style of show, isn't going to recruit a single youth organization. Not in a million years.

By the way, SDCA is not really competitive at all; the only awards given are from audience clapping and every unit gets a participation award. And as for their website, what the heck do you expect? Professionalism like DCI? SDCA is a local type program just like what you desire for heaven's sake!

Web design is hard? You'd think a group like that would want all the positive PR they could get (apparently not, judging from their posts in the DCA forums). So yes, I do expect some level of professionalism. If a marching band circuit can do it, why can't they?

Web design is hard? You'd think a group like that would want all the positive PR they could get (apparently not, judging from their posts in the DCA forums). So yes, I do expect some level of professionalism. If a marching band circuit can do it, why can't they?

Wow; no offense here but you want them to have BOA/DCI public relations and website quality yet want their programs to just be at a local inner city level, with no competition, and focus on community inner city youth. Dude; really?

Absolutely correct.

Groups that are starting indoor drumlines are seeing a great deal of success. One of the ones I mentioned, Imperial Dynasty, has a program for at-risk and inner city kids that will blow your socks off. Their program has grown every year since it's inception, and has expended to include a second drumline and also a color guard. They are taught by people that get it, both educationally (the most important) and performance wise (secondary).

The other thing is that from what I can tell looking at the pictures, videos and show schedules, SDCA isn't creating or supporting the local drum corps we're talking about. It's mostly alumni groups and older folks who like the alumni thing. The only youth-oriented groups I see are DCI Open Class corps looking for a performance opportunity. That's not exactly supporting or encouraging the local start up corps as the OP stated, is it?

If the alumni crowd is into SDCA, more power to them. But that stuff, that style of show, isn't going to recruit a single youth organization. Not in a million years.

Apparently you have not communicated with anyone at SDCA (or DCNA for that matter); so please contact them before you continue to sort of bash them.

Edited by Stu