Professional Drum and Bugle Corps league/organization

"This thread is dying out with the usual one-liners that signal that interest is waning."

Maybe it is, but it has served the exact purpose that I wanted it to serve. It has been interesting to see the different veiwpoints, and also see that some people seemed to have had their creative juices stirred.

i thought you were starting a foundation? wasnt that the reason for the reason for all your threads? Just askin .

i thought you were starting a foundation? wasnt that the reason for the reason for all your threads? Just askin .

Actually, I am starting a foundation to help small drum corps, and I have already received a donation of equipment, and a pledge for 100 uniforms. This is even before I have been able to file the forms to start the organization.

Well, while sad, there is a lot of truth in what he's saying. I just read an article on this subject (I'll try and figure out where and post a link), where symphony orchestras are struggling to stay afloat because they face a tough choice:

1. Play "the classics" that will satisfy the majority existing donor base, mostly made up of aging folks that don't want to hear anything new

or

2. Play a wider variety of music including new compositions/pops/soundtracks/video game material that does attract a new audience, but alienates the older folks.

I know that Marin Alsop, the music director of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, is trying to bridge that gap by reaching out to young people in the area, at schools, wherever... to try and get them interested in classical music.

And she (yes, she... Ms. Alsop is the first female music director of a major symphony in the U.S.) is also adding programs that contain new compositions, programs that have the orchestra performing as the soundtrack to movies, "casual concerts", kid's concerts, and so forth.

So far, she's been doing a great job... the BSO is in pretty good shape, relative to some other major symphonies. But it's a constant struggle for her and the orchestra, for sure.

Actually, I am starting a foundation to help small drum corps, and I have already received a donation of equipment, and a pledge for 100 uniforms. This is even before I have been able to file the forms to start the organization.

The last time someone wanted to donate me instruments they were so torn up we made lamps out of them as souvies; and we turned down a set of donated unis because the orange with green trim wool along with the qutip hats were a bit painful to the eyes. Point is, free is not always worth the price.

• Like 2

Well, while sad, there is a lot of truth in what he's saying. I just read an article on this subject (I'll try and figure out where and post a link), where symphony orchestras are struggling to stay afloat because they face a tough choice:

1. Play "the classics" that will satisfy the majority existing donor base, mostly made up of aging folks that don't want to hear anything new

or

2. Play a wider variety of music including new compositions/pops/soundtracks/video game material that does attract a new audience, but alienates the older folks.

It sure sounds a lot like the same problem DCA corps are facing, doesn't it?

and DCI

LOL! I like it!!!!!!!

Instead of annouNcing corps into competition, just ring a bell!!

Ding! Ding! LET'S GET IT ON FOR THE BLUE DEVILS!!!!!!!!!

it's called Bluecoats 2008

"This thread is dying out with the usual one-liners that signal that interest is waning."

Maybe it is, but it has served the exact purpose that I wanted it to serve. It has been interesting to see the different veiwpoints, and also see that some people seemed to have had their creative juices stirred.

so you admit to trolling to seek a war. congrats

• Like 1

so you admit to trolling to seek a war. congrats

No, that is not what I am admitting. What I am admitting is that I needed to see what the tone of the resistance to my ideas might be, and maybe pick up some ideas, tips, and get some things formulated.

If you feel that what I posted was "trolling to seek a war.", Then that is your own misguided opinion,(just like everyone has the right to one), and you felt you needed to label it as "trolling to seek a war".

So be it.

Edited by cdm

No, that is not what I am admitting. What I am admitting is that I needed to see what the tone of the resistance to my ideas might be, and maybe pick up some ideas, tips, and get some things formulated.

If you feel that what I posted was "trolling to seek a war.", Then that is your own misguided opinion,(just like everyone has the right to one), and you felt you needed to label it as "trolling to seek a war".

So be it.

ok, then a question:

if I understand it right, you have to have your paperwork and organization in order before you can accept donations. So, if you're accepting items, is your paperwork in order?

So be it.

I'm going to be frank here.

If you are really setting up a foundation, uniforms and instruments are the LAST thing you should be thinking about. What you should be doing is assembling people that know about important things like fund raising, non-profit corporations, non-profit law, etc. Once you have them, set up your board of directors and write your governing documents.

Until you've done that, you have no business soliciting anything from anyone. Not instruments, not uniforms, not money.

• Like 3