Professional Drum and Bugle Corps league/organization

Woa, I never claimed SDCA was competitive.

All I did was say it's not the answer. I watched the videos, looked at the pictures and the list of units participating. It's certainly not a youth movement (outside the CA shows that have a couple of DCI Open Class corps performing). Man, you put a lot of words in people's mouths.

Of course SDCA is not a youth only movement; but that does not mean youth corps cannot be involved. In fact local corps were historically never "just" youth corps; many local corps around the nation, when there were thousands and thousands of them, were all-age and mainly local parade units. Local all-age and local youth corps performed in the same functions for many, many, years. Other than performing in gymnasiums SDCA actually therefore reflects the atmosphere of historical local corps quite well. Out of curiosity, in your opinion, why must local corps today "just" be inner city youth oriented? It seems to me that the inner city youth would be well served if they were performing along side their adult mentors.

So; the issue concerning SDCA is not really about slick websites, or even great public relations, but whether or not SDCA is an organization which provides the services to local corps it says it does. And that answer is in the affirmative no matter what anyone wants to think about their lack of a professional looking website. And it is not a competitive circuit, nor is it for old farts, like Kamarag claims it to be. SDCA is exactly what it claims to be: an outlet for local corps to flourish in a manner harkening back to the way local corps did back in the day. No slick professional marketing; no slick professional public relations; just plain old grassroots people doing plain old grassroots drum corps. So why knock their lack of a professional website when they are providing a local corps outlet is all I am getting at.

I think it serves something thats for sure..BUT attract younger people which as much as we like to think its all about us from BITD thats not hownthe world works..without the young there is no future IMO...NOW as far as it being BITD drum corps...sorry with all due respect its not how I remember drum corps BITD..As I said serve a purpose? sure, Fun? Im sure those involved are having a ball, No pressure...Yep....an outlet for those involved...for sure..The great new Renaissance movement? HMMMM dont think so.

I think it serves something thats for sure..BUT attract younger people which as much as we like to think its all about us from BITD thats not hownthe world works..without the young there is no future IMO...NOW as far as it being BITD drum corps...sorry with all due respect its not how I remember drum corps BITD..As I said serve a purpose? sure, Fun? Im sure those involved are having a ball, No pressure...Yep....an outlet for those involved...for sure..The great new Renaissance movement? HMMMM dont think so.

SDCA is not how I remember drum corps either. However the real BITD was way before my or your time. BITD was just after WWI when local corps began to arise in various places through the VFW, the Scouts, the Catholic Leagues, etc... I guarantee you SDCA reflects that local corps atmosphere better than any other drum corps organization today.

Edited by Stu

SDCA is not how I remember drum corps either. However the real BITD was way before my or your time. BITD was just after WWI when local corps began to arise in various places through the VFW, the Scouts, the Catholic Leagues, etc... I guarantee you SDCA reflects that local corps atmosphere better than any other drum corps organization today.

well its all subjective,isnt it............all those groups are all but gone now also

Of course SDCA is not a youth only movement; but that does not mean youth corps cannot be involved.

Sigh. Once AGAIN, you are putting words in my mouth. I didn't say youth-only. I also didn't say they couldn't be involved (they are in CA). Clearly, you have a reading comprehension problem.

So to get back to the point, we need to make drum corps an olympic event.

Then add WWE excitement.

The third trumpet takes out the field GE judge!

well its all subjective,isnt it............

Nope; perception is not reality. The truth is that SDCA does reflect BITD corps structure in between WWI and the competitive VFW days of the 50's/60's better than any other drum corps activity today.

So to get back to the point, we need to make drum corps an olympic event.

Then add WWE excitement.

The third trumpet takes out the field GE judge!

Now if that take-out would involve collecting points toward the championship then I say we would be on the right track to garner more competitive fan base! :thumbup:

Now if that take-out would involve collecting points toward the championship then I say we would be on the right track to garner more competitive fan base! :thumbup:

Only if it were a blindsided hit! :thumbup: