Professional Drum and Bugle Corps league/organization

This thread is dying out with the usual one-liners that signal that interest is waning.

However, I'll be a contrarian here. Yes, in theory, I think a professional drum corps can exist. The model is in place already: There are dozens of full-time professional orchestras in the US with budgets from 5-50 million dollars. They are non-profits. They employ union musicians and can boast of attendance figures well into seven figures. They own or lease their own concert halls and can command hefty ticket prices.

BUT, there is a critical difference between an orchestra and drum corps. Variety. Ultimately a professional drum corps would not look like anything we have today. For one thing, what would motivate an audience to return every week to watch the corps? A new show. Every week. The current corps model is not designed for that. And to produce a new show every week - heck, even every three weeks - would not, I dare say, produce anything of significantly better performance quality than a top DCI corps produces already.

Not to mention, how would we "judge" a competition in which every corps completely changes its program every week? So no, a professional league probably wouldn't work under the current expectations.

And even some symphony orchestras, including at least one major one, are struggling financially as their older audience dies off, for lack of a better phrase.

And even some symphony orchestras, including at least one major one, are struggling financially as their older audience dies off, for lack of a better phrase.

Did you really have to use "older" and "dies off" in your response?

To me, the best you could hope for is a single pro corps/band, that tours during the summer and fall, exhibiting at DCI contests, state and regional band competitions and professional parades such as Macy's Thanksgiving Day. It would almost by definition have to skew younger in membership in order to pull off "pro-style" drill - enough to get marching band kids excited - but even then, you'd have to have post-college musicians so you don't have to worry about scholastic schedules. Teachers and directors wouldn't have the time available to spend away doing such a gig.

Then, of course, there are the costs, which in travel alone might stop anything before it starts. Hotel costs and occasional airfare will add up quickly. You're not going to be transporting paid performers the same cattle-car way DCI corps currently convey their paying teenagers.

I get the idea for a league, but there is nowhere near the demand for it (the ones we have already in existence are massively hurting for viewers as is), there's no money for it, and the people you would need to make such a venture work are already doing it somewhere else.

Mike

But this already exists...The Commandant's Own is almost exactly what you describe above.

Did you really have to use "older" and "dies off" in your response?

Well, while sad, there is a lot of truth in what he's saying. I just read an article on this subject (I'll try and figure out where and post a link), where symphony orchestras are struggling to stay afloat because they face a tough choice:

1. Play "the classics" that will satisfy the majority existing donor base, mostly made up of aging folks that don't want to hear anything new

or

2. Play a wider variety of music including new compositions/pops/soundtracks/video game material that does attract a new audience, but alienates the older folks.

It sure sounds a lot like the same problem DCA corps are facing, doesn't it?

It's also completely tax-payer funded, and at the whim of the budget cutters.

Not arguing that, just making an observation that we already have what he described...almost to the letter.

Well, while sad, there is a lot of truth in what he's saying. I just read an article on this subject (I'll try and figure out where and post a link), where symphony orchestras are struggling to stay afloat because they face a tough choice:

1. Play "the classics" that will satisfy the majority existing donor base, mostly made up of aging folks that don't want to hear anything new

or

2. Play a wider variety of music including new compositions/pops/soundtracks/video game material that does attract a new audience, but alienates the older folks.

It sure sounds a lot like the same problem DCA corps are facing, doesn't it?

In regards to #2, Madison tried that route last year-and couldn't get the rights for it. Who's to say the orchestras wouldn't/aren't having the same problem?

In regards to #2, Madison tried that route last year-and couldn't get the rights for it. Who's to say the orchestras wouldn't/aren't having the same problem?

You're not *quite* correct. Madison got all the rights that they required...arranging/performing. DCI was unable to secure synch rights (at least for a price they were willing to play). The most difficult rights to secure, in any medium, are synch rights. It's because that what you need to sell a DVD, BlueRay, or stream online for money.

Since orchestras rarely record for sale, they don't run into synch rights issues very often.

So to get back to the point, we need to make drum corps an olympic event.

Then add WWE excitement.

The third trumpet takes out the field GE judge!

LOL! I like it!!!!!!!

Instead of annouNcing corps into competition, just ring a bell!!

Ding! Ding! LET'S GET IT ON FOR THE BLUE DEVILS!!!!!!!!!

"This thread is dying out with the usual one-liners that signal that interest is waning."

Maybe it is, but it has served the exact purpose that I wanted it to serve. It has been interesting to see the different veiwpoints, and also see that some people seemed to have had their creative juices stirred.