2012 Fan Network

Im having issues with several 2008 videos and it seems that most 2009 videos dont want to load properly either.

Yep, me too. I am able to get through older (70s) shows, but they even stop from time to time (for a couple seconds)

Whether or not anyone cares to admit it, they may be losing on potential revenue from customers like us. To expect that the result of not offering live streaming finals would mean more attendees in Indy is a bit naive. There are many drum corps fans out there that love the activity but simply don't have the time, money or desire to travel from as far as the coasts all the way to Indy. I know I personally would pay for live streaming finals in a heartbeat, but most likely will only attend finals in Indy once in a great while (maybe once per five years max, and couple it with another trip), especially given that I get to see a number of large shows during the season that are all within driving distance.

Yep! In the 29 years since I discovered DCI, I've been to finals 4 times. 3 of those were years I marched (1983-85), the 4th time was '07 in Pasadena. Going to finals just doesn't fit our budget. A live stream would. I would pay for a live stream every year. It is good to know that it's at least being discussed.

Yep! In the 29 years since I discovered DCI, I've been to finals 4 times. 3 of those were years I marched (1983-85), the 4th time was '07 in Pasadena. Going to finals just doesn't fit our budget. A live stream would. I would pay for a live stream every year. It is good to know that it's at least being discussed.

ditto here. I went in '06 but with the little one and other priorities first, I just don't see us getting back there anytime soon. a live stream would be great.

I totally get what you're saying. For years I bought the complete set DVD (and before that, VHS). What I've found is that The "must have everything" collector's bug has really worn off. I rarely watch anything more than two or three shows, repeatedly, for any given year.

I just can't see spending that kind of money on the BlueRay if all I'm going to watch is at most, two or three shows. I'd much rather buy what I want, directly from the corps, at a greatly reduced price. The Blue Devils BlueRays are a perfect example. You get the A and B corps shows, plus encores if they won, and extras. For like $20. And I watch that far more than most years' full sets.

I love having Devils shows in the highest possible quality. But if all I want to do is check out a show on a lark, that's what Fan Network is for.

I'm with you here to an extent. I'm far more likely to watch a drum corps show on Fan Network than to find a DVD or Blu-ray and play that. Most of the time I watch older drum corps shows when I'm away from home (I teach music, so it's not uncommon for me to want to see a drum corps show at work to analyze a visual design, music arrangement, etc). I've watched the DCI Blu-ray maybe once or twice since getting this last fall, but I've watched a lot more shows on Fan Network in that same time.

That being said, the Blu-rays are off the hook amazing looking & sounding. I think if I continue buying them with the FN 'bundle' I will be more apt to watch them more as I get more and more snobby about non-HD videos, and not wanting to slum it with standard def.

Plus, in this day and age of "I want it now," it's hard for me to be patient and I don't want to wait a full year for the most current Finals videos.

• Like 1

Going to finals just doesn't fit our budget. A live stream would. I would pay for a live stream every year. It is good to know that it's at least being discussed.

I hear ya: it's not the ticket prices that are a deal-break for me and my family: it's the substantial cost of traveling that I can't afford. Since moving to Southern CA summer of 99 I've only attended finals once and that was when it was in Pasadena. I would pay the price of a Finals ticket to live stream the event.

• Like 1

Going to finals just doesn't fit our budget. A live stream would. I would pay for a live stream every year. It is good to know that it's at least being discussed.

Brainstorm/idea:

What if DCI enacted a policy similar to NFL & other sports' network details: "black out" the live stream for a certain radius around Indy. If you live within, say, 100 miles (the NFL blackout rules apply for those within a 75 mile radius. of the Indianapolis zip code you can't live stream finals, but those folks who live further away and are not likely to be a walk-up ticket-buyer could live stream the event for the average price of a WC Finals ticket. Heck, maybe DCI can also incorporate a clause where no one can live stream the event unless DCI reaches a specific ticket-sales threshold (like, they have to sell at least 15,000 Finals tickets or no live stream: if they sell 15,000 or more tickets the 100 mile radius blackout applies).

They could also add that as the Fan Network DVD/Blu-ray bundle. For example, this year's Fan Network would be $65 for live stream other than finals, and then an additional $120 gets you the Finals Blu-ray AND live-stream of Finals.

I truly believe if they incorporated both of those policies DCI at worst would make no more/less money than current FN revenue, and at best they would make a significant increase in Finals revenue.

• Like 5

Brainstorm/idea:

What if DCI enacted a policy similar to NFL & other sports' network details: "black out" the live stream for a certain radius around Indy. If you live within, say, 100 miles (the NFL blackout rules apply for those within a 75 mile radius. of the Indianapolis zip code you can't live stream finals, but those folks who live further away and are not likely to be a walk-up ticket-buyer could live stream the event for the average price of a WC Finals ticket. Heck, maybe DCI can also incorporate a clause where no one can live stream the event unless DCI reaches a specific ticket-sales threshold (like, they have to sell at least 15,000 Finals tickets or no live stream: if they sell 15,000 or more tickets the 100 mile radius blackout applies).

They could also add that as the Fan Network DVD/Blu-ray bundle. For example, this year's Fan Network would be $65 for live stream other than finals, and then an additional $120 gets you the Finals Blu-ray AND live-stream of Finals.

I truly believe if they incorporated both of those policies DCI at worst would make no more/less money than current FN revenue, and at best they would make a significant increase in Finals revenue.

This!

Brainstorm/idea:

Good ideas but, like some others on here, I don't buy the DVD/Blu-ray's so I'd like to see a Live (basic) level/live feed option as well.

Brainstorm/idea:

Good idea in concept, but keep in mind that most of the blackout areas you're talking apply to television coverage. With FN, the user could be watching from a laptop/notebook-which means that they could live across the street from the Can, be in Montana on a business trip, and not be able to watch because of their address. The only way I see this affecting live attendance, is if someone can't commit to buying their tickets early, and then as show time approaches the only seats available are stuck on the 20 yard line in the nosebleed section. Especially in the Can, given the option of those seats live (considering the acoustics) or watching on FN, the FN option would win hands down. Outside of that, I can't see how anybody within a reasonable distance would choose a stream of the show over being there. As an example, the FN shows two shows fairly close to me this season that will have VOD's. I was not planning on attending one, and it's nice I'll be able to see the VOD's but I am still planning on attending the second despite the fact VOD's will be available.

The puzzle was availability to all customers vs just those that bought discs last year. This copyright stuff is taken seriously, and I don't want to answer anything incorrectly, so I'll let the people who know, know. :)

Shortly you will see an article about this that will answer a lot of questions.

Not currently a FN member, so I may not be up to date on availability but:

So you're saying that there's a difference in the rights between Semis and Finals? The shows were the same, right? And yet you currently can watch the Semi show through FN and not the Finals show? Rights change day to day? Insane...