Blue Knights Show 2012

Saw them last night in Mesa. My bias is Firebird Suite is overdone, so I just could not connect with it. But my old marching buddy was enthralled with them, and especially the use of 5/4 + 6/4 arrangement in 'Mars.' We both agree the batterie is outstanding, maybe good enough to compete for High Drum. Their execution is what you'd expect of a corps with a high experience level. It stood out when compared to SCV visibly struggling with multiple elements. I can see them challenging as the season goes on, just not sure where this show can grow from where they have it now. It will be constantly compared to Phantom '07, even though the arrangement has some distinct differences.

I would temper enthusiasm, though. There are things about this group that just don't match up to the Big 4 right now. For example, Phantom's front ensemble is ridiculously good and well-featured, giving the show more emotional swings. BK just comes out and shouts at the crowd. It's hard to wow judges for 10 minutes at that level, no matter how athletic the show is.

All I've seen are their early run-throughs before their tour started, but it irritates me...and I think it does a disservice to BK...when anyone compares this show to PR 07. Not only are there distinct differences in the arrangement, but the shows themselves have totally different themes. Furthermore, BK's music is ONLY from Firebird...not a mashup of different music.

That being said, I think this show has the potential to take them to surprising heights in the final standings...depending, of course, upon their ability to tighten up their show and peak at the right time.

Edited by RockyGranite
  • Like 1

Bleh...maybe it's just early season. They have tons of work, as well as the concept.

Saw them last night in Mesa. My bias is Firebird Suite is overdone, so I just could not connect with it. But my old marching buddy was enthralled with them, and especially the use of 5/4 + 6/4 arrangement in 'Mars.' We both agree the batterie is outstanding, maybe good enough to compete for High Drum. Their execution is what you'd expect of a corps with a high experience level. It stood out when compared to SCV visibly struggling with multiple elements. I can see them challenging as the season goes on, just not sure where this show can grow from where they have it now. It will be constantly compared to Phantom '07, even though the arrangement has some distinct differences.

I would temper enthusiasm, though. There are things about this group that just don't match up to the Big 4 right now. For example, Phantom's front ensemble is ridiculously good and well-featured, giving the show more emotional swings. BK just comes out and shouts at the crowd. It's hard to wow judges for 10 minutes at that level, no matter how athletic the show is.

I think you may have some corps mixed up there. SCV is the one using Mars, Blue Knights are doing Firebird. From what I've seen, you might want to switch around your comments, since BK looks to be the rough one, at least from what I've seen the last two days.

Biggest gripe with this show, is that it seems like they're trying to hard to be different than every other version of Firebird that's been done before, and it's back-firing. I mean, what is going on with the pit writing? Was there a thermin thrown in at some point,and random electronic organ noises more suited for ELP than DCI?

I honestly think if they cut the pre-show, and cut down on some of the pit breaks, this show could be good. But now it just seems like they're trying too hard to be different.

• Like 2

NO way! I think this is the coolest version of firebird I have ever seen!

I absolutely loved it! (heavy synth and all)

Don't look at it as a drum corps show. Look at it as a total piece of art just like BD's show. Pure genius IMO! worthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gif

• Like 2

NO way! I think this is the coolest version of firebird I have ever seen!

I absolutely loved it! (heavy synth and all)

Don't look at it as a drum corps show. Look at it as a total piece of art just like BD's show. Pure genius IMO! worthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gif

^^^^^^^ What he said. :smile:

One thing BK doesn't have in their show is what I call "JABOM/M". (Just A Bunch Of Music/Movement)

It seems some Corps put five dice in a yahtze cup...shake it up...dump them out...and whatever combination of horn music, drumline music, ensemble music, guard movement and drill comes up on the dice is what they go with.

Edited by RockyGranite

One thing BK doesn't have in their show is what I call "JABOM/M". (Just A Bunch Of Music/Movement)

It seems some Corps put five dice in a yahtze cup...shake it up...dump them out...and whatever combination of horn music, drumline music, ensemble music, guard movement and drill comes up on the dice is what they go with.

Yea fair enough but I liked it. I also loved Mandarins show too! (that was some kookie stuff)

• Like 1

Yea fair enough but I liked it. I also loved Mandarins show too! (that was some kookie stuff)

I wasn't being critical of you liking BK's show. I like it too...mainly because it isn't JABOM/M.

Now, I do appreciate a quality performance. From any kind of show. This is what wins. But as a spectator I really like the shows that tie everything together. Spartacus comes to mind as a prime example.

I'm sorry to say that after last years show, I was very disappointed with BK's program design. Instead of being called "Avian" I have been refering to it as "Revenge of the Synth".

Come on BK, you have the horns, why are you only letting them play half of the show?

Understand, my complaint is not with the MM of BK, but with the show design.

• Like 1