Blue Knights Show 2012

I guess I'm not a purist when it comes to Marching programs.

There was a high school marching band in Colorado a few years ago who did a program based on music from "Dream Theater". They had a freshman guitarist who was amazing and their show was quite entertaining. The judges, unfortunately, weren't impressed. They didn't score well.

But I really liked their show.

After watching it on the fan network, I actually think this might turn out as one of my favorite shows this year. I'm not sold on it yet, but I feel it has the most potential (for me to love it) in my opinion.

• Like 2

The majority of the synth playing is in their pre-show. There are indeed a lot of visual/synth filled moments, but I would say at least 3/4ths of the show the brass is playing. Not to mention (at least in my honest opinion) this is one of the hardest horn books in dci right now. There is so much complexity when it comes to Stravinsky and it takes tons of understanding of the nature and the style of the his pieces to play them extremely well. I'm sure once the music and the drill cleans up the synth/dance will be much more entertaining. There is just a lot to this show that doesn't feel complete for the simple fact that the show is still developing and being cleaned.

• Like 3

^^^^THIS^^^^

It's obvious that the drill has been the main focus, thus the music will catch up. Cadets were like this back in the day as is SCV from time to time

606282813.jpg?key=900526&Expires=1340777160&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=BippNEBQBGoj6TxoM~zp2R~sNK8ccHCQGr9R~ipdz-7g-AjjqTP7yw-mAen9AXvFcQ48HGXGl7ANX9xIHR0U5N4xUkV5a-ImbuxV~s61z6R7ATEnlMAOOZg4PC38TKTK6g96YJzXEkx6Q5pMDTgnULqKaXZQCD5Tln3V9ccZE0I_

Colorado Springs is in a world of hurt tonight. Are there any members of the Blue Knights (or any other corps, for that matter) from there this year? I know Air Academy H.S. has the best marching band in the state, but I don't know how much the area contributes marchers for DCI.

606282813.jpg?key=900526&Expires=1340777160&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=BippNEBQBGoj6TxoM~zp2R~sNK8ccHCQGr9R~ipdz-7g-AjjqTP7yw-mAen9AXvFcQ48HGXGl7ANX9xIHR0U5N4xUkV5a-ImbuxV~s61z6R7ATEnlMAOOZg4PC38TKTK6g96YJzXEkx6Q5pMDTgnULqKaXZQCD5Tln3V9ccZE0I_

Colorado Springs is in a world of hurt tonight. Are there any members of the Blue Knights (or any other corps, for that matter) from there this year? I know Air Academy H.S. has the best marching band in the state, but I don't know how much the area contributes marchers for DCI.

Born and raised in Colorado(but now live in Ohio), it is sad to see this. I believe the Blue Knights are salt and peppered with some students from Colorado. let alone Air Academy. I do know that the Blue Knights recruit at the state marching band championships though (not back in my day though--the good old 80's)

I am actually an Air Academy Marching Band alumni, and I marched last season with the Blue Knights. I lived in that area, but now I live in Houston.

Edited by kaseyW
  • Like 3

There was a high school marching band in Colorado a few years ago who did a program based on music from "Dream Theater". They had a freshman guitarist who was amazing and their show was quite entertaining. The judges, unfortunately, weren't impressed. They didn't score well.

Would that have been Northglenn? I don't know Colorado marching bands but I have seen Northglenn's WGI indoor line. It is Directed by Dave Marvin and his son is a phenomenal guitar player who has been featured in their indoor shows for the last few years.I know Dave is in the WGI Hall of Fame and has had ties to the Blue Knights indoor line but I don't recall if he's ever had much affiliation with the corps itself.

You should look up Teal sound 2010, they used music by Dream Theatre.

• Like 1

My son, Fountain-Fort Carson High School class of '11, is marching mello with BK. There has been one other from Fountain, played baritone, who marched for two years during high school but isn't marching this year. I'm not aware of any others from the Springs area.

I'll ask my son.

btw, Fountain is the second-best marching band in the area...I don't care WHAT Liberty or Mesa Ridge say about it. LOL!!!

Edited by RockyGranite
  • Like 1