Who is finished?

well the people that appear to be the most okay with this seem to be former Cadets... which is strange I suppose, since the Cadets are a corps with arguably one of the highest performance and work ethic standards, yet those standards seem nowhere to be found right now and they get a pass from the ones you would expect to demand the most.

Really? Is this what you really think? The reason some of us are seemingly OK with it is because many of us have been through the exact same situation and saw WHY we weren't able to complete the show on time. Some of us were expecting the show to be completed on time, but sometimes unforeseen circumstances get in the way. In the end, we knew our show would be complete and we knew the drill writer wanted to write the best show possible for a corps with such high standards as The Cadets.

Yes, it IS demanding of fans (who spend $40-$50 regardless of the part of the season) to expect a full product for their money. Drill, music, flags, uniforms, costumes, etc. What nerve those folks have to ask for that level of respect. How appalling! :tongue:

But how many people pay the money at the first show of the season expecting to see a solid, clean product? I know I don't, either as a performer or a fan, that things are going to go great. But as a performer, I'd rather do 8 minutes of a show I know I can perform, then try and do 12 minutes and be lost on the last 20 pages of drill because it just got learned the day before. I would hate as a fan to go to a show and watch a train-wreck happened because the staff tried to rush the last minute of the show onto the field the morning of the first show, and someone gets hurt and possibly ruins their season.

I understand all about spending the money and time to go to a show, but what the kid who drops $3000 to march a summer, then trips and wrecks their knee because the staff rushed the closer onto the field, and they got hurt? They'd be out a bit more than a fan who still gets to watch a bunch of drum corps shows, even if they're not complete and Finals-level clean.

Signed,

Someone who never marched Cadets, but understands the rigors of performing, since i've been doing it recently

• Like 1

None of this will matter in a week! Let's take a breath and see how everything plays out. Enjoy the start of what's shaping up to be a great season! thumbup.gif

I really just wanna hear a chinese cymbal crash. That's all I really want.

• Like 2

well the people that appear to be the most okay with this seem to be former Cadets... which is strange I suppose, since the Cadets are a corps with arguably one of the highest performance and work ethic standards, yet those standards seem nowhere to be found right now and they get a pass from the ones you would expect to demand the most.

I wouldn't say that I'm 100% okay with it. I just understand what problems they've had. I'm a bystander just like everyone else. I just happen to be an Alum. I trust that the staff has done everything in their power to get the show where they want it and out on the field. They're the ones in the drivers seat and I trust their judgement. Would I prefer the show be done? Yep. Is it? Nope, and there's not a thing I can do about it but realize that August 11th is the goal. They'll do what they need to do and I'm completely okay with that.

• Like 1

I agree. :smile:

Jason, as far as being Borg... Well... You have a point. I understand some of that perception. I don't like it much but I understand it.

Well the Borg thing I believe has been an ongoing joke on DCP for a while. I find it extremely hilarious myself, since ALL drum corps relate to the borg. It's all about the collective!

I'm also a huge trekkie, and I'm on season 7 of ST: Voyager on Netflix... and I can't get Seven of Nine out of my head...w00t.gif

Well the Borg thing I believe has been an ongoing joke on DCP for a while. I find it extremely hilarious myself, since ALL drum corps relate to the borg. It's all about the collective!

I'm also a huge trekkie, and I'm on season 7 of ST: Voyager on Netflix... and I can't get Seven of Nine out of my head...w00t.gif

A joke to some but not all. :smile:

7 of 9 = bowchickabowwow!!!

You've crushed me. Crushed... When did Drum Corps stop relating to Star Wars? Geez I'm old. :tongue:

• Like 1

Wait until you get to the last episode. It was VERY well done. Janeway is the S...T!!!

• Like 2

A joke to some but not all. :smile:

7 of 9 = bowchickabowwow!!!

You've crushed me. Crushed... When did Drum Corps stop relating to Star Wars? Geez I'm old. :tongue:

And lost apparently. We're talking about Star Trek Voyager. Not Star Wars. :tongue:

Neither of which would be endangered by expecting corps to be able to field 10 minutes worth of show after months and months of preparation. I know "won't somebody please think of the children!!!" is a pretty standard retort on DCP, but it's not a valid excuse here.

10 months to put together a 10 minute show. Months of camps. Weeks of non-stop practice. All for a season that is shorter than ever, with fewer shows, and fewer corps. Less opportunities than ever for fans to watch drum corps. Like it or not, everything boils down to those ten minutes on the field. That's what draws us into drum corps, it's what gets us to march, it's what keeps us coming back.

We talk about the "experience" of the members, and they pay a hefty price for it. It is important. But that experience won't be lessened in any way by expecting corps to field a complete show after nearly a year's worth of preparation.

Very good points, but let me say this: I believe ALL the drum corps are trying to do this...to accomplish a full product for the beginning of the season. Do we always need to throw a hissy-fit (as many on this forum like to find something to beetch about) when it doesn't work out for a few corps. Weather, facilities, and other local engagements requiring different music can sometimes push deadlines back. Is that so criminal?