Who is finished?

That was not my point. And obviously, JULY 19, 1997 was not their first show. WHY did they have a massive pile up during that show? I don't know exactly. I'm sure they were more familiar with that show around that time and something unusual probably happened which caused them to have a massive pileup.

By the way, I'd REALLY love to see that recording.

It's on Hi8mm right now, so I'd have to dub it to the computer. Please remind me a little later ( August tongue.gif) and I'll try to do it ( I'm in my last semester at school getting my M.S).

A contra goes down in the center of the field in the middle of a swirling set and brings down several people with him. That was some hard drill... Someone probably tripped him.

Edited by jjeffeory

It's on Super8 right now, so I'd have to dub it to the computer. Please remind me a little later ( August tongue.gif) and I'll try to do it ( I'm in my last semester at school getting my M.S).

A contra goes down in the center of the field in the middle of a swirling set and brings down several people with him. That was some hard drill... Someone probably tripped him.

Was that the end of the show? That would sound about right.

It's on Hi8mm right now, so I'd have to dub it to the computer. Please remind me a little later ( August tongue.gif) and I'll try to do it ( I'm in my last semester at school getting my M.S).

Hm. I have no memory of that.

The 99 pileup was tragic, though. Just total carnage. It looked like maybe 12-14 guys were rolling around in front of me.

Also, 98 in Pittsburgh was pretty epic.

Was that the end of the show? That would sound about right.

Yup, it's at the end of their show. Totally bad ### drill and they did NOT fall during finals, which I just checked on FN.

The move starts around 11:05.

Hm. I have no memory of that.

The 99 pileup was tragic, though. Just total carnage. It looked like maybe 12-14 guys were rolling around in front of me.

Also, 98 in Pittsburgh was pretty epic.

That description makes it sound like a death trap. :laughing:

That description makes it sound like a death trap. :laughing:

Yo! With all that metal, bone, and flesh flying around, it could have been!

...and to be back on topic... My point is that I believe corps need to try the difficult stuff, a little under speed at first, in competition if they've learned the drill.

The excuse that we heard wasn't the best.

Yo! With all that metal, bone, and flesh flying around, it could have been!

...and to be back on topic... My point is that I believe corps need to try the difficult stuff, a little under speed at first, in competition if they've learned the drill.

The excuse that we heard wasn't the best.

Yeah, but you can't really do it "under speed" if the battery is playing. Modern parts are written to be played at the one tempo (within a few clicks), and that's just how it is.

I think that corps shouldn't be attempting things in shows that they haven't at least survived several times in a row during rehearsal. I can remember being put in situations where we had to perform potentially dangerous drill, despite only having made it through without any falls maybe 2 or 3 times.

If the closer isn't ready, they should standstill and take the hit, or not play it, early season WGI style.

Yeah, but you can't really do it "under speed" if the battery is playing. Modern parts are written to be played at the one tempo (within a few clicks), and that's just how it is.

I think that corps shouldn't be attempting things in shows that they haven't at least survived several times in a row during rehearsal. I can remember being put in situations where we had to perform potentially dangerous drill, despite only having made it through without any falls maybe 2 or 3 times.

If the closer isn't ready, they should standstill and take the hit, or not play it, early season WGI style.

Exactly. Can you imagine if we had performed the end of the show in 2000 at the very first show? Hell, we had a bunch of pileups (one of which I caused :devil: ) before we put it in in San Antonio. I can see the point where people say the score should suffer, but in the same tongue, this is where, as you said, demand should also come into play.

Interesting insight. So the prevailing philosophy today is to practice at full speed over and over, even if something is just totally not doable; not break down the problem areas and work your way up to speed? Those crazy cats! tongue.gif

I can see a strategy where this wouldn't be a problem for the battery, especially if the goal is for the whole corps to learn how to get up to tempo marching a difficult show...

Standstill and take the hit is cool with me...

Use a bunch of reps and a metronome at a slower tempo in Spring training until people get used to the drill and then have them add the music in...

Edited by jjeffeory

Interesting insight. So the prevailing philosophy today is to practice at full speed over and over, even if something is just totally not doable; not break down the problem areas and work your way up to speed? Those crazy cats! tongue.gif

No, not at all. Rehearsing drill (without playing) downtempo is pretty common. Rehearsing marching and playing simultaneously downtempo is not really practicable. In my six years in div i, I can think of MAYBE 2 reps where the ensemble took something under the tempo, and I mean only by 4 clicks or so. Even then, I'm not sure the battery played.

My point is that performing a section at 168 when it was written at 196 isn't really possible.

Standstill and take the hit is cool with me...

Me too.