Who is finished?

Don't shoot the messenger, but this was just posted on Cadets fb page.

NO CLOSER --- MISSING FLAGS – and all that goes with opening night

By George Hopkins

Let’s bring the suspense to an end. The Cadets have tagged on a

“faux ending” to the program for this weekend. If you would like to see the real deal in terms of ending --- you are going to need to be in Martin, Tennessee on Wednesday, June 20th.

We gave it a try but in the end, speaking for me, it became about NOT insisting on being right, and doing what is best for the members and the team. Tough to do -- after 30 years being right can be a big deal to me! …. Not that I am proud to say so.

If you know our endings, this year is 50 seconds of 200 beats per minute, and yes, every person in the world expects Jeff Sacktig’s ending this year to be better than anything they have ever seen. And as I have come to learn:

- Creativity can take time

- Teaching and performing 18 pages of drill at 200 bpm is not something you can do two days before the show.

So, after praying and hoping, I saw reality and followed the suggestion of the team and we are cleaning what we have, we tagged on a few counts and well … we live with reality and not the dream.

Yes, we would love to be ready now. This was not the plan. But, to let you inside, this was not the easiest show, this IS NOT the easiest show to put together. We have tried a few different angles and approaches and some have not worked all that well. And for those who know me, the programs at the Cadets that I am involved with tend to be overtime. Why ???

Well … I am just undisciplined I think. We love all of the music. We also want each caption to have their day, and we add on and change and slow down and add again. AND – that overtime eventually has to be dealt with. Indeed, we dealt with 20 seconds today – and that is knowing that timing penalties to not kick in until July.

So …

No ending … not yet

Show flags – one of them but not three of them.

Guard uniforms – yes

Props – yes but no wheels and no paint and no decorations

Front and Rear Walls – not yet

Let’s face it. We are off Broadway. We take a little time. We wait to see how the crowd reacts and to what they react. Did that transition work ?? We need to feel the audience. SO … in many ways, we do develop as we move along and with 60 days on the road … there is much to do and much to learn.

Speaking for me, the performance level of the corps is excellent. I was startled when I first got on tour as to the advancement. Congrats to members and staff.

As for placement -- do not know.

What I do know, is Christmas is turning out to be a good season and if we can just get it to snow in the dome --- we have a shot ☺

Happy Friday!

Don't shoot the messenger, but this was just posted on Cadets fb page.

NO CLOSER --- MISSING FLAGS – and all that goes with opening night

By George Hopkins

Let's bring the suspense to an end. The Cadets have tagged on a

"faux ending" to the program for this weekend. If you would like to see the real deal in terms of ending --- you are going to need to be in Martin, Tennessee on Wednesday, June 20th.

We gave it a try but in the end, speaking for me, it became about NOT insisting on being right, and doing what is best for the members and the team. Tough to do -- after 30 years being right can be a big deal to me! …. Not that I am proud to say so.

If you know our endings, this year is 50 seconds of 200 beats per minute, and yes, every person in the world expects Jeff Sacktig's ending this year to be better than anything they have ever seen. And as I have come to learn:

- Creativity can take time

- Teaching and performing 18 pages of drill at 200 bpm is not something you can do two days before the show.

So, after praying and hoping, I saw reality and followed the suggestion of the team and we are cleaning what we have, we tagged on a few counts and well … we live with reality and not the dream.

Yes, we would love to be ready now. This was not the plan. But, to let you inside, this was not the easiest show, this IS NOT the easiest show to put together. We have tried a few different angles and approaches and some have not worked all that well. And for those who know me, the programs at the Cadets that I am involved with tend to be overtime. Why ???

Well … I am just undisciplined I think. We love all of the music. We also want each caption to have their day, and we add on and change and slow down and add again. AND – that overtime eventually has to be dealt with. Indeed, we dealt with 20 seconds today – and that is knowing that timing penalties to not kick in until July.

So …

No ending … not yet

Show flags – one of them but not three of them.

Guard uniforms – yes

Props – yes but no wheels and no paint and no decorations

Front and Rear Walls – not yet

Let's face it. We are off Broadway. We take a little time. We wait to see how the crowd reacts and to what they react. Did that transition work ?? We need to feel the audience. SO … in many ways, we do develop as we move along and with 60 days on the road … there is much to do and much to learn.

Speaking for me, the performance level of the corps is excellent. I was startled when I first got on tour as to the advancement. Congrats to members and staff.

As for placement -- do not know.

What I do know, is Christmas is turning out to be a good season and if we can just get it to snow in the dome --- we have a shot ☺

Happy Friday!

Just saw this too. Its really dissapointing if you ask me. I know there are a lot of Cadet homers on this thread, and there is nothing wrong with that. But this started as a conversation about who had completed their show. Not only have the Cadets not completed their show for what i consider should be a deadline, they once again have failed to bring together their show flags and they havent even finished their props. You can make the argument about not marching drill over 200bpm because its dangerous, but not having your show flags or props done has nothing to do with safety. this shows a lack of responsiblility if you ask me. But I know that since i am looking from the outside in, im just a know it all on my high horse, and my driving 4.5 hours and paying for this show means nothing.

Edited by TubaJon

Just saw this too. Its really dissapointing if you ask me. I know there are a lot of Cadet homers on this thread, and there is nothing wrong with that. But this started as a conversation about who had completed their show. Not only have the Cadets not completed their show for what i consider should be a deadline, they once again have failed to bring together their show flags and they havent even finished their props. You can make the argument about not marching drill over 200bpm because its dangerous, but not having your show flags or props done has nothing to do with safety. this shows a lack of responsiblility if you ask me. But I know that since i am looking from the outside in, im just a no it all on my high horse.

Exactly.

• Like 1

"Know it all" - not "no it all"

It is mid-June / anyone with a "complete program" will either have a mess on the field, or aimed too low in demand IMHO.

• Like 1

"Know it all" - not "no it all"

ha already fixed, but thanks.

Just saw this too. Its really dissapointing if you ask me. I know there are a lot of Cadet homers on this thread, and there is nothing wrong with that. But this started as a conversation about who had completed their show. Not only have the Cadets not completed their show for what i consider should be a deadline, they once again have failed to bring together their show flags and they havent even finished their props. You can make the argument about not marching drill over 200bpm because its dangerous, but not having your show flags or props done has nothing to do with safety. this shows a lack of responsiblility if you ask me. But I know that since i am looking from the outside in, im just a know it all on my high horse, and my driving 4.5 hours and paying for this show means nothing.

So in the years that you marched...was every detail of your show in place by the first show? I think not. You shouldn't let such a thing ruin the show for you. Its mid-june, smile, look past the dirty drill, and enjoy some drum corps :)

• Like 1

So in the years that you marched...was every detail of your show in place by the first show? I think not. You shouldn't let such a thing ruin the show for you. Its mid-june, smile, look past the dirty drill, and enjoy some drum corps :)

No not every detail- but we marched and played a full show- pretty #### well. That was part of the excitement of marching and being a fan. You still got - for the most part- complete shows; however, we were still able to tweak and change things "wholesale" if we had to during tour. I remember in 91 hearing SCV not having a complete show on the field for part of first tour- it was a pretty big deal then...now it seems to be accepted that it is ok. For my money it is not.

CM

• Like 3