Original Music?

It seems more and more that DCI is becoming subservient to the music industry in terms of rights, which seems to restrict the fan's ability to enjoy the activity to its fullest. I mean, the fear of being sued, which is legitimate, seems to be keeping fans from enjoying alot of preseason work from individual corps from being heard on social media outlets, etc. I am just wondering if it would not be prudent from DCI to encourage more of its staffs and internal working to develop its own original music and therefore control its own copyrights. It is just a thought, but I don't see the issue of getting music rights getting easier and we may be headed down this road because of the expense of getting music rights. Thoughts? Suggestions? I just think it would give the activity a little more automony. Then, again, maybe not. Just throwing this out there.

• Like 1

I don't think the copyright issue is really holding back any preseason info. Some corps like to post it, and some don't. But pretty much, if their copyright issues are going to keep them from putting it on the field, chances are, they aren't putting drill to it, or working on it at this time in the season. Its pretty rare that particular music gets held off of the DVD for these issues.

That being said, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more original composition on the field. On the other hand, some of the things that are working for us in terms of audience appreciation is the use of more modern and recognizable music. A lot would argue that we don't need more things that make us unique, but instead more things that make us accessible. I don't really have strong feelings either way, but these are some of the issues I can see coming up with this idea.

• Like 1

It seems more and more that DCI is becoming subservient to the music industry in terms of rights, which seems to restrict the fan's ability to enjoy the activity to its fullest. I mean, the fear of being sued, which is legitimate, seems to be keeping fans from enjoying alot of preseason work from individual corps from being heard on social media outlets, etc. I am just wondering if it would not be prudent from DCI to encourage more of its staffs and internal working to develop its own original music and therefore control its own copyrights. It is just a thought, but I don't see the issue of getting music rights getting easier and we may be headed down this road because of the expense of getting music rights. Thoughts? Suggestions? I just think it would give the activity a little more automony. Then, again, maybe not. Just throwing this out there.

I think you're a few years late on this. The Cavaliers really started the "original music" push with Richard Saucedo back in the early 2000s (though I think the desire for custom music molded to their visual program was more of the driving force back then). Now, seeing sections of shows that are all-original is practically commonplace, for almost every corps but especially outside the "big boys" where a corps might not have the time or resources to even attempt to secure rights for some pieces.

I think you're a few years late on this. The Cavaliers really started the "original music" push with Richard Saucedo back in the early 2000s (though I think the desire for custom music molded to their visual program was more of the driving force back then).

All original music IMO started with Suncoast in '85 - "Florida Suite."

Cavaliers really advanced with it however.

• Like 2

I don't think I am a few years late on this. The issue of original music for the sake of doing it is not what I was intending in the topic. The point is how difficult it is now and will continue to be for DCI to function if it must tip toe around the music industry because of the issue of all of the rights it must receive in order to put a production on. My point is that I think the complexity of the music rights issue should get people thinking about original music as one solution to the problem. The reality is that it is only going to get more and more expensive to get the rights and at some point it is going to become a real cost control issue.

• Like 1

I don't think I am a few years late on this. The issue of original music for the sake of doing it is not what I was intending in the topic. The point is how difficult it is now and will continue to be for DCI to function if it must tip toe around the music industry because of the issue of all of the rights it must receive in order to put a production on. My point is that I think the complexity of the music rights issue should get people thinking about original music as one solution to the problem. The reality is that it is only going to get more and more expensive to get the rights and at some point it is going to become a real cost control issue.

Getting the rights to arrange and perform isn't so much the issue as synch rights. The arranging/performing rights are secured by the individual corps...the synch rights are secured by DCI for video production...and THAT'S where the biggest problems have been in recent years....Regiment in 08 and Madison last year come to mind.

Getting the rights to arrange and perform isn't so much the issue as synch rights. The arranging/performing rights are secured by the individual corps...the synch rights are secured by DCI for video production...and THAT'S where the biggest problems have been in recent years....Regiment in 08 and Madison last year come to mind.

But, why is this such a problem?

• Like 1