Weekend scores not announced until Monday night

Based on the DCI.org article, once again scores will not be released until the Cinecast (which is 630p local time -- so East Coaster's will undoubtedly spoil the suspense for the other timezones).

So I was curious -- do they tell the corps anything at all? Do you just get your tapes? What's the deal? Obviously they don't tell corps staff the scores (because NO MATTER WHAT) it would leak. Someone would tell their best bud who would post it on FB which would go to twitter and soon enough appear right here on DCP.

• Like 1

Yea I can see why they want to keep the suspense for the movie-goers but it makes it hard for the staff's to adjust their performances. OTH having them play on a Monday night would not get as many people to the live event.

I like your idea of them just getting the tapes but not knowing how they placed could also be both good and bad.

hmmm what to do?

Based on the DCI.org article, once again scores will not be released until the Cinecast (which is 630p local time -- so East Coaster's will undoubtedly spoil the suspense for the other timezones).

So I was curious -- do they tell the corps anything at all? Do you just get your tapes? What's the deal? Obviously they don't tell corps staff the scores (because NO MATTER WHAT) it would leak. Someone would tell their best bud who would post it on FB which would go to twitter and soon enough appear right here on DCP.

Well, if nobody knows their Corps show performance score for 48 hours or so after the performance, that sure seems unusual. Why not just have them all do an unscored exhibition instead on Saturday if they're not going to post the scores and placements that night ? Why attend a Drum Corps " competition " where the attendee doesn't get the placement results and score results until they get home from work, or whatever 2 days later ? Thats kind of a goofy deal for the show "competition" goers, no ?

Edited by BRASSO

for an early season show, not a big deal. Now if it's like 88 where you didnt know semis scores going into finals, different story.

nice hook, draws people into the theater, allows for tons of false rumors, speculation and DCP drama.

In June I'd be more into judging feedback than a number

Well, if nobody knows their Corps show performance score for 48 hours or so after the performance, that sure seems unusual. Why not just have them all do an unscored exhibition instead on Saturday if they're not going to post the scores and placements that night ? Why attend a Drum Corps " competition " where the attendee doesn't get the placement results and score results until they get home from work, or whatever 2 days later ? Thats kind of a goofy deal for the show "competition" goers, no ?

Well it certainly makes things more exciting at the movies (which may in fact be a much bigger audience than the live audience). So from that perspective it works well.

I seem to recall in Texas last year they had fan voting for the live show so the live audience was not entirely left out.

Altho I love to think that we all find out the scores on Monday for that show, I too, would be a bit upset not to know who won or the scores if I attended the live show on Saturday.

Didn't the corps get the results and didn't we already 'know' the results before the moviecast event last year?

Was thinking I had printed out the leaked results and took them with me to the movies to see if they were right.

Was thinking the performance results weren't posted until later Monday night so we didn't know how GE, guard....etc was ranked.

?????

for an early season show, not a big deal. Now if it's like 88 where you didnt know semis scores going into finals, different story.

nice hook, draws people into the theater, allows for tons of false rumors, speculation and DCP drama.

In June I'd be more into judging feedback than a number

Obviously not a big deal competitively -- just curious to know what - if anything -- the corps themselves get back from the event.

Edited by corpsband

You have a point.

Stinks for the fans but if you are paying to see a show that you know you won't see the scores to until later then there is no sense in complaining. Also do corps really put that much value on first reads of JUST finished show. Not sure if the wait really hurts their progress ...

Edited by charlie1223

Last year, DCI leaked the scores on their website. They pre-loaded them, blanked them out but they appeared in another section of the site, (season average?)

would not knowing the scores make the theatre a better draw…would people not go if their corps didn’t win, I'm not sure that I buy it as a draw....don't care really, just doesn't follow for me

I think Crown won last year, knowing that in advance could have gotten more people the theatre, maybe. In some ways, I wonder if Crown felt hosed, it was the first and only time they beat BD and they didn’t get their moment (nothing against BD but it’s a coming of age accomplishment in DCI)