Brass soloists

Do we really need to mic them?

Maybe, but someone smarter than me will have to offer technical commentary.

In this day and age MANY shows are now broadcast live. It wouldn't surprise me if the people mixing the sound have more control over the output of a solo instrument which is on its own channel.

A mic for a 'drum & bugle' corps? No way. A mic for a 'broadway' show? Okay, but only on Broadway, please.

If 80 people are playing Forte behind you, you're not playing a solo...you're playing in an ensemble. But then again, I agree with the design comments made.

What ever happened to the "solo"s in loud ensemble sections consisting the screamer trumpets wailing over the brassline (with no mic)? You'll still see it occasionally with Madison... and in BD's warm up arc.

Solo's with backfield backgrounds work too.

I think because mic's are allowed, they are used. What's the saying, "if you have it, use it"? Sigh...

My favorite solo instruments would be middle brass or euphs

Maybe, but someone smarter than me will have to offer technical commentary.

In this day and age MANY shows are now broadcast live. It wouldn't surprise me if the people mixing the sound have more control over the output of a solo instrument which is on its own channel.

Theoretically they could, but corps don't pipe their mikes into the recording system. The corps mix their pit (and voice and solo etc if applicable) mikes themselves and amplify it through the (typically inadequate) PA speakers you see on the edges of the pit area. Per the rules the mixer must stay in the corps area near the field (usually it's set up right behind the main DM platform), but must be operated by a staff member, not a marching member.

I *think* the rules have been tweaked recently (last year or this) to allow direct remote control of the mixer from a staff member in the stands, but prior to that, most corps used the method of sending a staff member with a walkie-talkie into the stands to feed the sound engineer instructions on adjusting the mix, which is/was annoying to the unfortunate audience members who that corps staff chose to sit near.

Anyway, when a show is recorded, it's done with a set of separate mikes that pick up the acoustic sounds of the corps and audience (and some of the pit sounds) along with the amplified sounds coming through the PA speakers. Thus the relative placement of the speakers and the recording mikes implicitly mix the amps and the corps, usually differently than most people in the stands or in the box would hear it.

All of that said, most of the folks who object to extensive amplification and post-processing complain that the more you do of that, the less control the performers have over the result. That's especially true given that it's up to corps staff to do the live mixing during a performance. (Theoretically they could live-edit out sloppy pit players just by muting their mikes--but in all cases the pit performers don't have to be nearly as careful about their volume, as they aren't ultimately in control of it anyway.)

So I really, really wouldn't want to put control of the appropriate mix of soloist-to-ensemble in the hands of a sound engineer not even associated with the corps. If you did that then once you add post-production, you're at least four "artistic" mixing choices removed from the actual performance. I go to drum corps shows and watch drum corps online and listen to drum corps recordings to hear what the incredible young performers are capable of, not to hear the work of a professional audio engineer. :music:

They don't need to be mic'd, it's just playing it safer. I personally love an unmic'd solo that is loud as hell, and can come out over the hornline. Granted, when the hornline is on the front sideline playing FFF, I would understand the need. But even then, the trumpet solos in Crossmen 2004 were LOUD. There's many other examples.

Some players may need a mic, but you've got to be able to play a solo loud if you're in drum corps.

Crossmen soloist are all unmiked except the mello solist that has the added special effects. I am anti microphone in general.

I saw on one of the videos from Fan Network where the Cadet soloist was playing at an angle into a mic and not at the audience. Hell lets Mic the whole corps and have them all sit in a nice cozy room and play their parts. We would get perfect balance, Maybe we can get auto tuners to fix any pitch issues. where will it end.

• Like 1

Hey ozark...when Jerry Noonan played his solo in Ole for North Star the rest of the corps stopped....completely. No drume line playing, no horn line playing, no equipment work from the guard and no one was marching.

As well...the crowd almost always went silent becauase they knew what was coming and wanted to hear it.

...and he sounded great every time!!!!!!!!

That said...I agree with the others that find the current state of soloists not being able to be heard a design issue.

They are mic'ng a mello solo this year though.

Only to producing an echo effect it seems. What they're doing with that is very interesting if you ask me. It goes pretty well with the show's theme too. The player also changes the direction of his/her horn during the solo, which the mic'ing does some good for.