Brass soloists

Do we really need to mic them?

I remember a time when the Blue Devils had soprano, and even after, trumpt soloists that didn't need a mic to be heard.

I remember in Malaguena from Cadets 2003 that they didn't need a mic to play the triplet part(granted Jon Schipper did the same part in 1996 without a mic and was louder).

But do they really need a mic?

If so, can't they get people with stronger chops.

Just my thought.

Uh oh...you said something...true. Look out!

• Like 5

I remember a time when the Blue Devils had soprano, and even after, trumpt soloists that didn't need a mic to be heard.

I remember in Malaguena from Cadets 2003 that they didn't need a mic to play the triplet part(granted Jon Schipper did the same part in 1996 without a mic and was louder).

Just my thought.

You don't need to.... Until the music analysis judge says they can't hear the soloists over the corps.

• Like 8

Spent much time in a domed stadium? With the crazy acoustics in those places, some of the soloists need to be mic'd if they want a chance to be heard. If the rest of the corps is playing at the same time as a soloist, then they need the mics for San Antonio, Georgia, and Indy

• Like 1

Spent much time in a domed stadium? With the crazy acoustics in those places, some of the soloists need to be mic'd if they want a chance to be heard. If the rest of the corps is playing at the same time as a soloist, then they need the mics for San Antonio, Georgia, and Indy

Especially if there's an entire hornline playing forte or louder behind said soloist.

• Like 2

Just my thought.

Boston Charlie from last year. No mic. Just wonderful sound.

• Like 6