Brass soloists

:rolleyes: Nothing about marching on a football field in military-like uniforms, playing mostly classical music on instruments designed for the most part in the 1800s has ever been about "the way that music is going".

The only way drum corps survives is if it's unique in some way. The more you try to make it like other musical activities, the *less* interesting it will be.

most music played by drum corps today is not classical. A lot is more modern music that is original designed with some aspect of electronic altering.

The activity has evolved throughout each decade, so why should it not keep evolving? It actually has followed some trends of what was happening in modern music at the time. Just look at the differences of a drum corps in the 50s compared to every subsequent decade.

Drum corps is still a unique product with the addition of electronics, I don't really see how you could say that it's not unique. And saying that it is less interesting is very subjective because many people (including myself) find it a lot more interesting.

So this solo should have been mic'ed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vinMNO0DcJA

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

I'm bias in this argument. I just don't appreciate electronics on field....at all. It's just not for me. There have been hundreds of great solos in the past that didn't need mics but then again that was a different day. Leads of old and the leads of today don't have much in common in general.

• Like 1

We're not saying that every solo needs or should be mic'd at all. Of course a lot of solos need no mic, but when you're adding some additional effect, I see no loss of integrity of the solo.

Okay, and no one here that I've seen is complaining about integrity in re solos like the Bluecoats have done with lots of effects layered on. But most brass miking has been done for the volume alone, and that's just lazy.

Okay, and no one here that I've seen is complaining about integrity in re solos like the Bluecoats have done with lots of effects layered on. But most brass miking has been done for the volume alone, and that's just lazy.

I do agree that mic'd solos just for amplication can lazy,i'm arguing purely on the side of layering effects, since that is part of what i'm going to school. the post above made it seem like we want all solos mic'd.

So this solo should have been mic'ed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vinMNO0DcJA

It is about arranging and staging. Look at how that was arranged (soloist + pp low range doughnuts) and staged (most of that either had the rest of the line not playing or facing backfield).

Had the arrangement and staging been different, might have benefitted from a mic.

Another thing to keep in mind that on vid and recordings, those solos are picked up by microphones. Balance was a bit different live than what was on the recording.

Anyway, silly discussion... corps should do what makes sense in the context of both the arrangement and staging and also rehearsal/performance demands. Very difficult for even the best performers to always be "on" when they are having to over play their parts through rehearsals, runs and performances day after day after day... not to mention the idea of reinforcing poor technique (this right here is one of the big issues studio professors have had with drum corps in the past).

Edited by danielray
  • Like 1

Ask the guy from Cadets '87 if he would have rather been mic'd. :tongue: Still can't hear that solo on any of the FInals recordings over the crowd.