Thoughts on Crown 2012 after watching VOD fro Louisville

Eh to some extent you gotta be reasonable. Last year people were on here complaining Crown's drill wasn't complicated enough. Now this year, people are saying it's too complicated. Where do you draw the line? Personally; I love Crowns show. It's in your face, it's loud, it's entertaining and it's very exciting. It's getting the crowds up on their feet and to me that's what matters the most. And as you heard in the theater tonight- that's Crown's number one focus too. Quite simply, this show is putting lots of drum corps on the field and not apologizing for it-that works for me :)

• Like 5

Eh to some extent you gotta be reasonable. Last year people were on here complaining Crown's drill wasn't complicated enough. Now this year, people are saying it's too complicated. Where do you draw the line? Personally; I love Crowns show. It's in your face, it's loud, it's entertaining and it's very exciting. It's getting the crowds up on their feet and to me that's what matters the most. And as you heard in the theater tonight- that's Crown's number one focus too. Quite simply, this show is putting lots of drum corps on the field and not apologizing for it-that works for me :)

Agree with this comment 100%thumbup.gif

Edited by Kevin.
  • Like 1

It's getting the crowds up on their feet and to me that's what matters the most. And as you heard in the theater tonight- that's Crown's number one focus too.

That's been their stance for a long time now and it was one of the reasons I loved marching there :)

• Like 1

I completely agree. They still have the good hornline and I like their musical choices but it seemed almost frantic at points. If they can clean it up it will be nice. At least I think so because to be honest it was difficult to tell what they were trying to do out there as it was so sloppy. I think Phantom has the show to beat this year and the Cadets were a very pleasant surprise. I didn't think I was going to like Christmas music on the field and the show is wonderful. Of course we haven't seen SCV or BD yet.

• Like 2

It's just funny to me how in another thread, someone criticized Cadets past drill for being fast and frenetic and called it idiotic. But Crown tries a show with the same type of drill and everyone is foaming at the mouth.

Personally, from what I've been reading so far, I'm looking forward to seeing their show. I've listened to the music and that hornline is incredible. I really want to see what this drill is like. Can't wait for the Jackson, NJ show.

I love their show this year, but I do feel that the guard gets lost in the corps. Having the same cream colored outfit doesn't help, and green flags on a green football field never seems to really work (for me). They just blend into the field too much. At this point the guard doesn't seem as strong as last year's nor as "showy". But - I love this show.

Later,

Mike

• Like 1

personally I thought their visual was a jumbled mess and the fold over flaps don't work. When the guard drops the jackets they disappear. The whole push in the middle drags on too long and the tympani parts across the field were so off it was very distracting. This is all from the Akron Show which I attended on Saturday. Looking at the recaps from Saturday I am having a hard time understanding how they scored so high in Percussion. They need to fix the uniform change so it's less distracting and tighten up the percussion, but IMO I don't see this as a winning show.

• Like 4

It's amazing how people react differently to different corps. When Phantom had their really hard drill in 2010, I don't recall everyone jumping up and saying they were "trying too hard to win." And REALLY? Trying too hard?? Are you serious? :rolleyes:

Yes, I am serious. I am not saying there is anything wrong with designing a show with the scoring criteria in mind. I just want to point out when it is so blatant that it seems to have been the overriding concern on the design team's mind.

• Like 3

Agree with this comment 100%thumbup.gif

Agreed. I don't get the infatuation with being so negative toward Crown. There always seems to be a double standard with them when other corps who have done similar things dont get the same abuse. People complained so much how easy there drill was last year. The music was too gimmicky and entertaining to win.

The crowd reaction toward Crown does not reflect a lot of the sentiment about them on this board.

I feel like the board antagonized the Cadets for several years and now it's onto Carolina Crown. Can't just enjoy the experience of having so many different styles of corps productions?

• Like 1