George Hopkins

There's simply no real reason to prevent these changes. It's going to happen eventually, so just get on board now.

"Obviously a man ought to be saying, 'I have made an electric battery. Shall I smash it, or shall I make another?' Instead of that, he seems to be bewitched by a sort of magic and stands staring at the thing as if it were a seven-headed dragon; and he can only say, 'The electric battery has come. Has it come to stay?'"

-G.K. Chesterton

Isn't the activity called Drum and Bugel Corps?

No, it's not.

• Like 2

How I wish they would let drum corps be drum corps and bands be bands. And they wonder why there has been a decline in interest. Seems to me there are a lot of reasons for it. That might be a good thread for someone to start but maybe there already were a zillion threads on "What would you do to re-kindle the fire?". Besides putting a few corps on the field who would get people up from their seats and giving them a loud ovation, of course. Something tells me we don't need to worry about woodwinds, though.

See! :tongue:

You're like a broken record and we can always count on you to chime in on these threads, since you are the poster child for political correctness and your agenda regarding woodwinds...

But the question I have for you is this (and it's a very direct question): why the need to change drum corps into something other than what it is?

At last check, marching band already exists the wold over in multitudes that drum corps could only dream of. DCI is the last bastion of a very unique activity that all of us here (with the exception of you) enjoy. Drum corps flourished for many many years BECAUSE of its unique identity, not IN SPITE OF it. If woodwinds and everything else is the answer (as you see it) then a competing marching band circuit should easily be as popular or even surpass DCI in short order.

Yet, it wouldn't. It would be a firey train wreck of utter fail...because we already have marching band. Drum corps is unique unto itself. So, why push so hard to change it?

Edited by BigBadMadMan
  • Like 2

You're like q broken record and we can always count on you to chime in on these threads, since you are the poster child for political correctness and your agenda regarding woodwinds...

But the question I have for you is this (and it's a very direct question): why the need to change drum corps into something other than what it is?

At last check, marching band already exists the wold over in multitudes that drum corps could only dream of. DCI is the last bastion of a very unique activity that all of us here (with the exception of you) enjoy. Drum corps flourished for many many years BECAUSE of its unique identity, not IN SPITE OF it. If woodwinds and everything else is the answer (as you see it) then a competing marching band circuit should easily be as popular or even surpass DCI in short order.

Yet, it wouldn't. It would be a firey train wreck of utter fail...because we already have marching band. Drum corps is unique unto itself. So, why push so hard to change it?

Drum corps isn't very unique at all. In fact, drum corps and marching band are almost the same thing.

The woodwind debate simply comes down to personal preference and really not a lot beyond that. People fighting for change and people fighting against it are two sides of the same coin. The motives behind their opinions are often the same: I want things to be the way I like.

We should switch that argument to what would be the best for DCI, and I don't think remaining a niche activity is the way to go. Opening it up to a wider audience is usually a great way to gain more customers. This is the principle behind free trade. Reduce barriers to reach more customers.

Edited by Nizerifin
  • Like 2

I would not consider Hop speaking out about adding woodwinds a "hard push to change" drum corps. Who else is publicly advocating this? Who else not even on the BOD for DCI is standing behind him on this?

...?

It's not. Going. To happen.

I find it hard to believe that DCPers are fresh out of RELEVANT things to debate and ##### about.

I would not consider Hop speaking out about adding woodwinds a "hard push to change" drum corps. Who else is publicly advocating this? Who else not even on the BOD for DCI is standing behind him on this?

...?

It's not. Going. To happen.

I find it hard to believe that DCPers are fresh out of RELEVANT things to debate and ##### about.

Hello...the question and comments were directed at MikeD. He was the one I was asking.

Drum corps isn't very unique at all. In fact, drum corps and marching band are almost the same thing.

The woodwind debate simply comes down to personal preference and really not a lot beyond that. People fighting for change and people fighting against it are two sides of the same coin. The motives behind their opinions are often the same: I want things to be the way I like.

We should switch that argument to what would be the best for DCI, and I don't think remaining a niche activity is the way to go. Opening it up to a wider audience is usually a great way to gain more customers. This is the principle behind free trade. Reduce barriers to reach more customers.

If they can actually GROW the fanbase while simultaneously losing the vast majority of legacy fan and alumni support (which this activity thrives on, btw), then by all means. Have at it. Drum corps (or whatever they call it then) would be dead inside of 10 years. Count on it.

Hello...the question and comments were directed at MikeD. He was the one I was asking.

Hello... this is a discussion forum. Let's not pretend I'm interrupting a private conversation. What is MikeD doing to push so hard for woodwinds aside from voicing his support on an internet forum? And more importantly, are woodwinds THAT imminent in DCI. i.e. Is his support working?

Edited by chaddyt

But...drum corps and marching band should not be almost the same thing. That is precisely one of the many reasons that things are messed up.