George Hopkins

But they ARE the same thing. You go out on the field, march your show for 11 or 12 minutes, then the judges give you your scores. The differences between the two are merely technical. If the current model is too restrictive, then adding woodwinds would be the smart move to truly broaden the appeal of DCI to the other half of the music spectrum.

I wouldn't say that WWs are a whole half of the music spectrum... should we open up DCI to string instruments? Should we have computer corps? Just have people marching around the field with laptops attached to perform computer music?

Oh... and if they add Woodwinds... they better allow slide trombones... my feelings will be so hurt...

• Like 1

I just don't see how adding WWs is opening up the activity to a wider audience. The WW players are already part of the audience. THe marching world is our audience. We aren't going to open it up more by adding more people from the marching world.

Marching band will never be mainstream. It's too much work for the average person to get into. I don't know. I just really don't see how WWs puts more butts in the seat. We don't need more marching members. Corps cut hundreds of people each year. If anything, I can see DCI losing a lot more butts by adding WWs.... rather than adding any. Fans YOUNG and OLD feel the same as I do. In fact everyone I personally know who is a fan or has been involved in the activity except for maybe one or two people share my view. Might not be that big of a sample size for you... but by the outrage on DCP every time this topic comes up, I'd say we are a strong majority.

I just cannot see how adding WWs would allow the activity to reach more customers...

1. Common ground is stronger if you (the woodwind-playing marcher) could actually participate in the activity. Opening DCI to WWs would create a huge new group of alumni who have only ever known DCI as WW-friendly.

2. You can't say that marching band will "never' be mainstream. You simply don't know. I do know that the ESPN broadcasts of Finals received higher ratings than NHL games.

3. Just because you know people of a variety of ages that agree with your stance doesn't mean that it is actually what's best for DCI.

I could be mistaken, but the only time I ever see him beat the woodwind drum is when someone else starts a thread about woodwinds. He's not actively advocating that DCI change. He's not out there campaigning and making woodwind buttons. He's just voicing his opinion and support should the activity go that route.

Which brings me back to my point that the activity is NOT going that route.

So why do we freak out about it every friggin' year?!?!

IMO, it's just an a convenient topic for doomsday predictions, end-of-drum-corps-as-we-know-it prognostications, yearly Hopkins-hating, and curmudgeonly my-era-was-better-than yours crap.

I'll be more than happy to eat crow if and when woodwinds ever become a reality in DCI. But Hopkins voicing his opinion isn't going to tip that scale. Posting support of it on an internet forum sure as #### isn't going to either.

Thanks for educating us on what we should and shouldn't talk about. Or here's a better idea...if you don't like it, don't open the ####### thread! Win-win!

• Like 1

just one person that is so outspoken... when "Hopkins" (in quotes b/c he was the most vocal and got most of the blame) tried the G7 ploy, he had 6 others on board. Can you say there aren't other's on his side of the woodwind issue also?

Not for sure. But even if there are, it's obviously not enough to actually do anything about it.

Because there are no woodwinds in DCI.

I wouldn't say that WWs are a whole half of the music spectrum... should we open up DCI to string instruments? Should we have computer corps? Just have people marching around the field with laptops attached to perform computer music?

Oh... and if they add Woodwinds... they better allow slide trombones... my feelings will be so hurt...

You're right, they're not really half of the music spectrum. I should have said half of the bandroom. We already have computer corps. Just look for the "DJ" in the pit.

Thanks for educating us on what we should and shouldn't talk about. Or here's a better idea...if you don't like it, don't open the ####### thread! Win-win!

I'm not educating on anything.

Just pointing out that this discussion has taken place for years now. And there are still no woodwinds in DCI.

But as long as we all have something to ##### and moan about, right?

• Like 1

Huge generalization, and not one that I've actually observed. Gung ho marching programs are loaded with woodwind players and I wouldn't be surprised if many would jump at the chance to participate in the highest level of marching arts.

Many in my university band do... and they learned a brass instrument to go do it...

Most don't care to... and either hate marching band... or actually love it... and they love drum corps.. but don't want to march.. in fact there are plenty of brass players who feel the same exact way... and some brass players even learn different instruments to go march corps. I mean...many brass players do not play on their main instrument. My instrument isn't legal... neither is a concert horn... or a concert euphonium.. or a concert tuba...

So we should legalize all them too!

NO!

They don't make sense on the field! (well the trombone actually would work... except for special consideration in drill...)

just one person that is so outspoken... when "Hopkins" (in quotes b/c he was the most vocal and got most of the blame) tried the G7 ploy, he had 6 others on board. Can you say there aren't other's on his side of the woodwind issue also?

When the G7 thing came out (which still hasn't come to fruition, isn't that right doomsdayers) the other directors came out in support of it and said they were a part of it. I haven't heard Gibbs or Glasgow or Fiedler saying they're on board with woodwinds, just George.

Can we just have this in a pinned thread, instead of it coming up every six months and having the same stuff re-hashed? People have been complaining about woodwinds for years now, and they still haven't been added. So there's a very, very high chance they won't be added, so there's no real need to complain about it every time, right? Didn't Einstein say, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?"

I wouldn't say that WWs are a whole half of the music spectrum... should we open up DCI to string instruments?

Aren't strings technically allowed now anyway? Ask Phantom, they had the violin in '09, was that a real instrument, or synth?

But they ARE the same thing. You go out on the field, march your show for 11 or 12 minutes, then the judges give you your scores. The differences between the two are merely technical. If the current model is too restrictive, then adding woodwinds would be the smart move to truly broaden the appeal of DCI to the other half of the music spectrum.

I'm interested to know how the current model is "too restrictive"? Mind you, a model that has been in place for more than 30 years and unchanged up until the last decade or so. Incidentally, the model period that saw drum corps drawing its largest audiences in history (and yes, prior to the past 15+ years).

Edited by BigBadMadMan