George Hopkins

You make an invalid comparison. The Blue Devils with saxes would still be the Blue Devils, not a HS marching band. The Cadets with WW would still be the Cadets. They are not becoming a scholastic marching band with the rotating cast of parents like a marching band has.

That is the fallacy of that type of argument in general. A world class ensemble that adds WW, strings, etc...would still be that world class ensemble.

It would lose any draw based on uniqueness and be just professional marching band, along with all the stigma, and jokes, true creativity would be lost and the desire to do something different would be lost as the young adults could do it already where they get an education.....

Geoffrey

The logic behind it is not only flawed it is an opinion based not on any kind of fact or research but one mans relentless desire to get his way any way possible....Drum corps, like it or not, is a business, imagine a business like Mcdonalds trying to alter its product, say from now on, only whole wheat buns and we will not offer regular anymore...and then implement that change based on an opinion without any type of research or marketing to see if there is a desire for said change ?? Ludicrous, yes ??

Curious, George Hopkins did an amazing job as director for the past thirty years, but in reality, where is his experience on the business forefront, his training, or anyones trying to step into that role for that matter.....Instructors and directors should do just that, not try to run and expand a business......how on earth do you alter a business over and over with NO research or a solid marketing plan ??

Now we are looking for ways to get more students to march by adding band instruments ?? LOL, they can do that for free in high school and then on to college....its these ridicuolus plethora of changes that were made in rapid fashion for no valid reason that not only alienated many established fan base but many potential relatives and other folks who would have been curious about the uniqueness of drum corps......Professional marching band is what DCI would become. Blue Devils doind Chanel one suite with Saxaphones, Trombones, Clarinets, etc....creativity and originality need not apply, we now have al the band instruments to play a band piece......

Woodwinds will be the final straw for numerous on staff in both the executive field and instructorial field, I know this first hand, many others also know this, why the relentless push for something that will benefit...um, who ??? Based on what ?? And why ???

Geoffrey

I've said this before, but I get paid everyday to create branding and advertising for large companies. And, as I've said before, it is my professional opinion that DCI has not done itself any favors in the way the activity has evolved in recent years. Or been marketed. Or changed.

Ive never seen an art form so hell bent on not excepting [sic] change. Yeah Yeah..now we'll here [sic] " why fix if it aint broke "..lol

I don't think people mind evolving. In the NFL, they have rules changes all the time. But adding baseballs to football would make a lot of people angry.

Taking what's unique about drum corps (brass and percussion) and changing it is akin, to many, to adding baseballs to football.

Edited by atlvalet
  • Like 2

Being world class is irrelevant. Being something people want to see is. I would not want to see Devils with saxaphones.

..and this thirty three year Drum corps fan/veteran will never see it happen, I would rather walk away......happily with my head held high knowing I was a part of the Golden era of Drum corps when all the shows that legends are made of were created and performed.

G

• Like 1

YOU are trying to somehow turn a WC drum corps with WW into a HS marching band, and the comparison is just not valid.

Please explain the difference and also tell us what the draw would be should World class marching units add woodwinds, please do not avoid the question since you do not ever avoid a chance to dispute the opposite......

Thanks !

Geoffrey

It would lose any draw based on uniqueness and be just professional marching band, along with all the stigma, and jokes, true creativity would be lost and the desire to do something different would be lost as the young adults could do it already where they get an education.....

Geoffrey

Drum corps is already...and always has been...professional marching band with all the stigma and jokes. Creativity has zero to do with the instrumentation. Drum corps is already the top of the line activity for the marching band junkies; by your assertion there is no need for a kid to audition for all-state or some other honor band program, since they already have a band at school. Why audition for the NY Philharmonic when the HS has an orchstra? Why attend Interlochen since there is a music program at the school? There will always be those who want to reach for the best, and DCI is a place to provide that. WW would not reduce that at all.

• Like 1

Drum corps is already...and always has been...professional marching band with all the stigma and jokes. Creativity has zero to do with the instrumentation. Drum corps is already the top of the line activity for the marching band junkies; by your assertion there is no need for a kid to audition for all-state or some other honor band program, since they already have a band at school. Why audition for the NY Philharmonic when the HS has an orchstra? Why attend Interlochen since there is a music program at the school? There will always be those who want to reach for the best, and DCI is a place to provide that. WW would not reduce that at all.

you know what I find interesting about US in drum corps...we hate the elitists attitude within our activity but dont mind spewing that attitude toward other musical areas. We always felt we were superior and maybe in the good ole days we may have been BUT many could challenge it now..

There will always be those who want to reach for the best, and DCI is a place to provide that. WW would not reduce that at all.

From a supply side perspective: possibly.

From a demand side perspective: irrevocably and potentially fatally.

you know what I find interesting about US in drum corps...we hate the elitists attitude within our activity but dont mind spewing that attitude toward other musical areas. We always felt we were superior and maybe in the good ole days we may have been BUT many could challenge it now..

You're muddying the waters. I like to view drum corps more as a meritocracy. Some people in band (in my many experiences) don't have a problem with being bad. People in drum corps abhor it. Simple as that. The elitism comes from an executional point of view, not from a "I think I am a better human being than you" point of view. No one likes people who think they are better than others on a human level.

Edited by atlvalet

Yes, that is true. I know as kid I was the same way, attitude-wise, thinking my drum corps, even the little Garden State Circuit corps, was soooo superior to my HS band...which in reality was just so silly.

you are totally right. It happenes and even natural. I also think you are right about realistic and until we stop thinking we are unique and iimune to the outside worlds wants , needs , desires, we will continue to dwindle. Im not saying we need to do every whim of individuals BUT we need to be more open also. Ive never seen an art form so hell bent on not excepting change. Yeah Yeah..now we'll here " why fix if it aint broke "..lol

Its not an art form, that the first silver bullet blown into the life of the activity and doomed its future. 85 Garfield trying to "create a piece of art" was the first nail in the coffin of the activity.......

Geoffrey

• Like 1