George Hopkins

Care to show me the research that proves your statement ? Specificaly More involved, more returning to shows,more attending camps, and more sticking with the activity for life ??

Its not about belittling HS programs, its about keeping the drum corps experience unique and giving fans and performers an option.

Geoffrey

There is no research to prove otherwise either.

Greater % of WWs will attend camps for sure. That alone benefits financials because that level of involvement gains more commitment to the activity than simply attending an event at the age of 15. The amount of fans claiming they will leave, like in baseball/hockey/basketball disputes is always overstated. They always come back.

Expanding to WWs gives DCI more $$ in the long term. More involved, more returning to shows, more attending camps, more sticking with the activity for life.

Substitute the words "WW's ( woodwinds ) above with "Bb Trumpets", and we were told the very same things.. ie, " more $$ in the long term, more involved, more returning to shows, more camps, more sticking with the activity for life, etc and blah blah blah ".

How'd that work out ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Greater % of WWs will attend camps for sure. That alone benefits financials because that level of involvement gains more commitment to the activity than simply attending an event at the age of 15. The amount of fans claiming they will leave, like in baseball/hockey/basketball disputes is always overstated. They always come back.

All heresay, and those that want to alter the business need to prove validity for the change, not the other way around. Based on all the other sensless implementations, none of these changes ahve yet to not only grow the activity but have failed to sustain the activity.....The amounts of fans that left are great and no many did not comeback, and yes plenty of things to prove that ie: Show attendance, amount of shows, etc.....

Geoffrey

Why do we continue to argue about Woodwinds in DCI? I'm going to guess that around 90% of the people posting on these forums are brass players, and of course none of us would really want woodwinds or to change the activity that we love so much that we waste time creating profiles on DCP and post in forums like this one...

Now I'm not saying that WWs belong in DCI or I'm not saying they don't belong either...

But last time I checked, I never heard about a major change in the rules of DCI due to arguements or debates that happen on DCP. So then why do we continue to debate over this topic?

AMEN!!!!!!!!

the girl or the sax?

(sorry, couldn't resist)

:tongue:

Was literally going to post the exact same response. Frightens me a bit. :)

Back on topic, as of 4:50PM DST on June 25th, 2012, there are still no woodwinds in drum corps. But do carry on....

All heresay, and those that want to alter the business need to prove validity for the change, not the other way around. Based on all the other sensless implementations, none of these changes ahve yet to not only grow the activity but have failed to sustain the activity.....The amounts of fans that left are great and no many did not comeback, and yes plenty of things to prove that ie: Show attendance, amount of shows, etc.....

Geoffrey

Fans are getting older and there are less in youth replacing them. People have families, priorities change, etc..it sounds nice to say they left because of Bb - 90%+ of any audience does not care. They are there for the high level of performance.

• Like 1

Substitute the words "WW's ( woodwinds ) above with "Bb Trumpets", and we were told the very same things.. ie, " more $$ in the long term, more involved, more returning to shows, more camps, more sticking with the activity for life, etc and blah blah blah ".

How'd that work out ?

Bb is a much smaller segment than WW.

As I have tried to express when I speak to friends about this activity, when I go to a show, the power of the brass as it hits you in the stands is one of the most incredible experiences a person can have.

To this day I have yet to experience the power of flutes, clarinets and saxophones.

• Like 3

I'm guessing you have never heard of a USP.

I'm also guessing this is GH's pseudonym. /sarcasm

BTW, so when are all these fans coming back? DCI is waiting.

As I have tried to express when I speak to friends about this activity, when I go to a show, the power of the brass as it hits you in the stands is one of the most incredible experiences a person can have.

To this day I have yet to experience the power of flutes, clarinets and saxophones.

Personally, I feel a lot of the bras impact has gone away with the Bb horns. Maybe Crown finally figured how to do it, I don't know. I do know that when I listen to recordings from the 90's, my brain goes "Ahhhhhhhhhh....this is nice."

Edited by atlvalet

MikeD is right on a lot of these arguments. Many defenders of no-WWs belittle the HS programs which has nothing to do with instrumentation, and everything with practice time.

Expanding to WWs gives DCI more $$ in the long term. More involved, more returning to shows, more attending camps, more sticking with the activity for life. We love DCI for the very high level of performance and opportunities for young people. It will all still be there with different instruments. If that makes you want to boo the kids (the avg fan will LOL at you crying over this), we are better off in the long run taking that hit.

I'm not belittling bands at all...I've taught them for 26 years.

The argument that bringing in Woodwinds is the same tired song and dance that electronics used for justification. Where are the new bodies? Where are the people saying "####, that low end synth patch overpowering the corps made me a fan for life?"

In fact, the argument for electronics talked about this creative frredom designers would have, and yet...very little creativity has happened with electronics. if you want to see true creativity with electronics, you need to look at WGI Percussion, not DCI.

While you may say it will bring in new bodies, and it may bring some.....the cost of woodwinds will create expenses to sky rocket, and the loss of many long time fans will be devastating to the bottom line.

Also, no one here is encouraging people to boo anyone. Therefore, savethe drama for your mama and stick to the facts