George Hopkins

Please explain the difference and also tell us what the draw would be should World class marching units add woodwinds, please do not avoid the question since you do not ever avoid a chance to dispute the opposite......

Thanks !

Geoffrey

The difference as it relates to the post you replied to? Drum corps with WW would not be a HS marching band...any more than it is now, for all the reasons people have posted in the threads comparing HS marching band to drum corps. Unlike fall MB where kids juggle all sorts of responsibilities, Summer DCI provides a single-focus activity for the marching band junkies today...and it would with WW as well. It would still be the top-of-the-line marching/music performing ensemble it is today. Plus, with an average age of around 20, the WC DCI groups would be made up of members with a lot more playing experience than at the HS level.

The draw remains the same...the opportunity to see and hear the very best marching/music ensembles in the country.

you know what I find interesting about US in drum corps...we hate the elitists attitude within our activity but dont mind spewing that attitude toward other musical areas. We always felt we were superior and maybe in the good ole days we may have been BUT many could challenge it now..

And why is that ?? Because so many changes for no valid reason has turned it into run of the mill marching arts and lost what was once mighty and formidable about it, you basically tied up the debate into a neat little package, case closed.

Geoffrey

• Like 1

And why is that ?? Because so many changes for no valid reason has turned it into run of the mill marching arts and lost what was once mighty and formidable about it, you basically tied up the debate into a neat little package, case closed.

Geoffrey

case closed..oh thanks for the elite dismissal..no reasons for all change I mentioned earlier? HMMMMM seems just like an opinion to me...yeah yeah we all know the majority who feel the way we do , dont we....................Somtimes debate is just for debating is silly......AND for the record I dont care for WWs or Hopkins but for none of the reasons most do BUT as I said before you joined in. 48 pages on a subject that most likely will go no where, strategically placed merely for attention and once again we fall for it....guess hes good at his job!

Oh just for the record..mighty? come on now its drum corps seems like a pretty small pond to feel so mighty about.....with a few rings, alot of finalisists, still teaching 2 in WC 1 in DCA , should I feel mighty? NAW....just drum corps :smile:

You also talked about everything but the question of why do we hate elite in our activity BUT dont mind being elite to others......never mind though It was for Mike

Edited by GUARDLING

The skill level is important in the discussion...I see all sorts of comments that make it look like adding WW to a WC level corps makes it somehow less of a performing ensemble...it doesn't. That is my point. BD or PR or Cadets or ... with currently-illegal instruments would be just as good as they are today in skill levels.

Skill level is nothing in the discussion. Instrumentation is....

DC is a subset of marching band just as brass band is a subset of wind bands. All are bands for sure! Separate and distinct...

• Like 1

MikeD is right on a lot of these arguments. Many defenders of no-WWs belittle the HS programs which has nothing to do with instrumentation, and everything with practice time.

Expanding to WWs gives DCI more $$ in the long term. More involved, more returning to shows, more attending camps, more sticking with the activity for life. We love DCI for the very high level of performance and opportunities for young people. It will all still be there with different instruments. If that makes you want to boo the kids (the avg fan will LOL at you crying over this), we are better off in the long run taking that hit.

• Like 1

case closed..oh thanks for the elite dismissal..no reasons for all change I mentioned earlier? HMMMMM seems just like an opinion to me...yeah yeah we all know the majority who feel the way we do , dont we....................Somtimes debate is just for debating is silly......AND for the record I dont care for WWs or Hopkins but for none of the reasons most do BUT as I said before you joined in. 48 pages on a subject that most likely will go no where, strategically placed merely for attention and once again we fall for it....guess hes good at his job!

Oh just for the record..mighty? come on now its drum corps seems like a pretty small pond to feel so mighty about.....with a few rings, alot of finalisists, still teaching 2 in WC 1 in DCA , should I feel mighty? NAW....just drum corps :smile:

You also talked about everything but the question of why do we hate elite in our activity BUT dont mind being elite to others......never mind though It was for Mike

"Case closed" was reinforcing my opinion as an absolute, black and white reason to confirm my opinion, nothing more....love the DCPers who love to argue, it makes my day !! Whats a Guardling anyway ? My name is Geoff. whats yours ??

If you honestly think adding Clarinets and Saxaphones will turn our activity into the Elite of drum corps, I cue you 2006 Cadets and their character uniforms and vocals........I would add a case closed but it might get taken too literal. :)

Geoffrey

MikeD is right on a lot of these arguments. Many defenders of no-WWs belittle the HS programs which has nothing to do with instrumentation, and everything with practice time.

Expanding to WWs gives DCI more $$ in the long term. More involved, more returning to shows, more attending camps, more sticking with the activity for life. We love DCI for the very high level of performance and opportunities for young people. It will all still be there with different instruments. If that makes you want to boo the kids (the avg fan will LOL at you crying over this), we are better off in the long run taking that hit.

Care to show me the research that proves your statement ? Specificaly More involved, more returning to shows,more attending camps, and more sticking with the activity for life ??

Its not about belittling HS programs, its about keeping the drum corps experience unique and giving fans and performers an option.

Geoffrey

"Case closed" was reinforcing my opinion as an absolute, black and white reason to confirm my opinion, nothing more....love the DCPers who love to argue, it makes my day !! Whats a Guardling anyway ? My name is Geoff. whats yours ??

If you honestly think adding Clarinets and Saxaphones will turn our activity into the Elite of drum corps, I cue you 2006 Cadets and their character uniforms and vocals........I would add a case closed but it might get taken too literal. :)

Geoffrey

ok....sorry I misunderstood what you were saying...no I dont think adding those thigs will make us elite . My elite comment was just to understand why we in our activity hate corps or directors who come off as elite but dont mind being elite and look down our noses at others OUTSIDE the drum corps world.

Why do we continue to argue about Woodwinds in DCI? I'm going to guess that around 90% of the people posting on these forums are brass players, and of course none of us would really want woodwinds or to change the activity that we love so much that we waste time creating profiles on DCP and post in forums like this one...

Now I'm not saying that WWs belong in DCI or I'm not saying they don't belong either...

But last time I checked, I never heard about a major change in the rules of DCI due to arguements or debates that happen on DCP. So then why do we continue to debate over this topic?