George Hopkins

no Mike, I'm being realistic. Fans will be gone if woodwinds are added. Lots of them. It doesnt matter if Podunk HS, BD, or The Intergalactic Warriors.......many drum corps fans do not want to see woodwinds on the field, and will stop coming, regardless of who is playing them.

I'll go on a limb and say it's safe to say a minimum of 5000 finals attendees will be gone. Thats $375,000 DCI loses in revenue. I'd say that's a low figure. Then add in the regionals where DCI also makes money....even more lost.

losing a million or more in revenue is not good for DCI, and that's probably way underestimating the losses DCI would face. You can tryand Hopspeak and spin it all you want over who is playing the #### things, It is a lock DCI will lose many, many fans if woodwinds are added. I don't care if you train Dukes basketball team, the US volleyball team, Alabama football...whoever.....many drum corps fans don't want any woodwinds. Not in the pit, not on the field, not even as a sample.

Big question to me is.... If DCI goes to MB instruments (to go after the MB crowd) will they start seeing a fan base that stick around as long as the MB fan base. IOW - little Johnny or Suzie <$1 to a BoD member> is done marching, no reason to go to any more shows.

Edit: We're mainly talking about getting them in the door... not as much about if they stay...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Big question to me is.... If DCI goes to MB instruments (to go after the MB crowd) will they start seeing a fan base that stick around as long as the MB fan base. IOW - little Johnny or Suzie <$1 to a BoD member> is done marching, no reason to go to any more shows.

I would say no BUT I have seen MB people turn into drum corps fanatics also. The drum corps die hard will change soon, there no dobut of that. people dont live forever and the die hards of many decades ago will soon either be gone or persue other intrestes in their golden years. which is what I have brought up before. Things will change, the texture of drum corps will change, the die hard will change eventually, just as the member and their needs and wants have changed over the years. Its also all natural for all these debates, look back in every form of history and you will see such debates how the sky is falling, the youth know nothing,why fix it if it aint broke etc etc. Its generational and has been going on forever. We arent immune to it

Edited by GUARDLING

I would say no BUT I have seen MB people turn into drum corps fanatics also.

I became a fanatic specifically because drum corps wasn't marching band. Only drums and percussion? Really? Cool. Where do I sign up. Wannabes and bandos need not sign up. Does that sound elitist? Who cares. This is marching music's major league, right. We only want the best of the best. That by definition is elitist.

And if DCI knew what the heck they were doing, they could create NEW drum corps die hards instead of just watching the old ones die off.

• Like 2

Edit: We're mainly talking about getting them in the door... not as much about if they stay...

IMO it would be the same as it is now. Adding WW is not going to create some wholesale change like that. Would some old-timers go away? Yes, I would say so. Happens all the time now. Again, I don't see this happening any time soon, as there is no internal driving push for WW and other instruments. It is all an academic discussion.

I became a fanatic specifically because drum corps wasn't marching band. Only drums and percussion? Really? Cool. Where do I sign up. Wannabes and bandos need not sign up. Does that sound elitist? Who cares. This is marching music's major league, right. We only want the best of the best. That by definition is elitist.

And if DCI knew what the heck they were doing, they could create NEW drum corps die hards instead of just watching the old ones die off.

ok thats you and fine BUT we all became part of this community and do it for many different reasons. Teaching in WC I hear it all the time what kids today love and hate about the activity and all the vastly different reasons why they do this and why they love it as well as why they got into it...different strokes...and thats great!

I would say no BUT I have seen MB people turn into drum corps fanatics also. The drum corps die hard will change soon, there no dobut of that. people dont live forever and the die hards of many decades ago will soon either be gone or persue other intrestes in their golden years. which is what I have brought up before. Things will change, the texture of drum corps will change, the die hard will change eventually, just as the member and their needs and wants have changed over the years. Its also all natural for all these debates, look back in every form of history and you will see such debates how the sky is falling, the youth know nothing,why fix it if it aint broke etc etc. Its generational and has been going on forever. We arent immune to it

In bits and pieces in your response lies my concern. Mainly for various reasons the long term (aka diehard) fans will become less and less in number and the activity continues to go down in numbers. But the same thing is going on in many other leasure type activities so to talk like this is unique to DC isn't realistic.

As for two exampels my in laws are heavy Bridge fanatics and that has gone down big time since when they started. My family is heavy in antique cars and will numbers of members are healthy the activity has changed from the mechanic down the street driving his own restoration to people buying old iron as $$$$ investment and don't think of driving *gasp*.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

IMO it would be the same as it is now. Adding WW is not going to create some wholesale change like that. Would some old-timers go away? Yes, I would say so. Happens all the time now. Again, I don't see this happening any time soon, as there is no internal driving push for WW and other instruments. It is all an academic discussion.

old timers ( as you put it..lol ) left after 1972....left when themes for shows started, price went up, when the pit happened, when guards danced, when guards didnt wear the corps uniform, when the American flag section was a thing of the past. I would think drum corps will survive but of course just as with the other things I mentioned you wont convince others just as we couldnt BITD.

In bits and pieces in here is my concern. Mainly for variuos reasons the long term (aka diehard) fans will become les and less in number and the activity continues to go down in numbers. But the same thing is going on in many other leasure type activities so to talk like this is unique to DC isn't realistic.

As for two exampels my in laws are heavy Bridge fanatics and that has gone down big time since when they started. My family is heavy in antique cars and will numbers of members are healthy the activity has changed from the mechanic down the street driving his own restoration to people buying old iron as $$$$ investment and don't think of driving *gasp*.

you are totally right. It happenes and even natural. I also think you are right about realistic and until we stop thinking we are unique and iimune to the outside worlds wants , needs , desires, we will continue to dwindle. Im not saying we need to do every whim of individuals BUT we need to be more open also. Ive never seen an art form so hell bent on not excepting change. Yeah Yeah..now we'll here " why fix if it aint broke "..lol

I would hate to see woodwinds in Drum Corps but, G. H. reasoning behind this vision is sound. The podcast host brought up great counter arguments. The growth of this Summer activity may depend on allowing more musicians into it's ranks. ( along with other things) Besides, Drum Corps is Marching Band Anyway!

Again, I would hate to see woodwinds in Drum Corps but the logic behind it is sound.

The logic behind it is not only flawed it is an opinion based not on any kind of fact or research but one mans relentless desire to get his way any way possible....Drum corps, like it or not, is a business, imagine a business like Mcdonalds trying to alter its product, say from now on, only whole wheat buns and we will not offer regular anymore...and then implement that change based on an opinion without any type of research or marketing to see if there is a desire for said change ?? Ludicrous, yes ??

Curious, George Hopkins did an amazing job as director for the past thirty years, but in reality, where is his experience on the business forefront, his training, or anyones trying to step into that role for that matter.....Instructors and directors should do just that, not try to run and expand a business......how on earth do you alter a business over and over with NO research or a solid marketing plan ??

Now we are looking for ways to get more students to march by adding band instruments ?? LOL, they can do that for free in high school and then on to college....its these ridicuolus plethora of changes that were made in rapid fashion for no valid reason that not only alienated many established fan base but many potential relatives and other folks who would have been curious about the uniqueness of drum corps......Professional marching band is what DCI would become. Blue Devils doind Chanel one suite with Saxaphones, Trombones, Clarinets, etc....creativity and originality need not apply, we now have al the band instruments to play a band piece......

Woodwinds will be the final straw for numerous on staff in both the executive field and instructorial field, I know this first hand, many others also know this, why the relentless push for something that will benefit...um, who ??? Based on what ?? And why ???

Geoffrey