Is it REALLY worth it?

I'm sure there will be some negative responses to this thread, and that's fine. I am just wondering if "the drum corps experience" is worth what it costs these days, and if it outweighs giving up other opportunities. Opportunity cost is key here; the cost of doing something (in this case marching corps) also includes the cost of not doing other things.

Now, say you have two kids who are in college, in, let's say, Kansas City. One decides to march with Spirit of Atlanta, the other stays at his apartment near school for the summer.

The drum corps kid pays:

$2400 for corps fees

$75 for the audition

$450 for camp fees (6 camps x $75)

$10 for an audition packet

Now, let's say for the sake of argument, since he doesn't have a car and has classes until Friday afternoon, driving isn't an option, so he is able to get flights for an average of $200 (which is pretty optimistic). $200 x 6 = $1200, so his total cost of being in the corps is:

~$4135 for a summer in Spirit of Atlanta (all these numbers are from their web page).

The non-corps kid decides to take lessons from the principal of the local symphony. These aren't cheap, so he is paying top dollar: $80/hr, once a week. Let's say 12 weeks of summer, so we end up with $960 of one-on-one instruction from a top musician, and since it is summer, he can afford to practice four hours a day. He decides to get in shape for the summer, so he pays $50 a month to join a fitness club, $150 total. He spends about $20 a day on food, so that comes to about $1800 total. He also has to pay rent, about $450 a month or $1350 total (the corps kid is subletting his place, so he breaks even). In total, that comes out to: ~$4260, around the same as the drum corps kid. He could get a part-time job and make back some of that money, or he could spend that time doing other things, like independent reading up on subjects related to his major.

At the end of the summer, the corps kid has toured the country, though mainly high school football fields, made some great friends, performed a lot, gotten in shape, etc. The non-corps kid has vastly improved in his own personal musicianship and repertoire, is planning on doing an independent research project with a professor in his department based on his readings, and dropped about 10 pounds going to the gym.

Now, I know there are intangible aspects of the corps experience--I marched World Class for 3 years--but is corps really the best way to spend one's time and money? The answer, of course, is highly subjective, and it depends who you are...but I think it is important to challenge the automatic assumption many have that corps is better than anything else you could do.

• Like 3

Move on,

I guess yeah, it's "Really" worth it. That's why we have thousands of kids in drum corps year after year. Great experiences for the kids, teens, and young adults who love to perform, travel, learn, etc. Teaches them great stuff, to say the very least.

Roger

You can't put a price on the drum corps experience. It is invaluable and those who are fortunate enough to march will relive those memories with smiles for the rest of their lives.

• Like 4

"Back in my day" (2000)--drum corps was NOT this expensive, so to me, it was amazingly worth it. To this day, I still look upon my time in DCI World Class with wonderful memories and an amazing experience.

Now adays--kids are spending close to $5000 for the summer (if they choose to march with a not pseudo-local corps), have to "move in" in the beginning of May (who can do that?) and STILL don't get the experience that we got "back in the day."

One of the obvious "draw ins" to marching World Class is the ability to do the activity everyday and totally remove themselves from real life. Another draw in is the ability and the chance to perform. With the "stay at home" model you provided...that student doesn't get the adreneline rush you get to perform to packed stadiums. There is also the advantage of making connections everywhere! (I got a well-paying teaching gig while on tour since the brass caption head was from the East Coast and the HS he taught needed a guard person.)

I don't know--it's double edged. What I can say is that marching corps gives you an experience that you simply cannot replicate by taking privates and living an everday music ed life.

I'm sure there will be some negative responses to this thread, and that's fine. I am just wondering if "the drum corps experience" is worth what it costs these days, and if it outweighs giving up other opportunities. Opportunity cost is key here; the cost of doing something (in this case marching corps) also includes the cost of not doing other things.

Now, say you have two kids who are in college, in, let's say, Kansas City. One decides to march with Spirit of Atlanta, the other stays at his apartment near school for the summer.

The drum corps kid pays:

$2400 for corps fees

$75 for the audition

Now, let's say for the sake of argument, since he doesn't have a car and has classes until Friday afternoon, driving isn't an option, so he is able to get flights for an average of $200 (which is pretty optimistic). $200 x 6 = $1200, so his total cost of being in the corps is:

~$4135 for a summer in Spirit of Atlanta (all these numbers are from their web page).

The non-corps kid decides to take lessons from the principal of the local symphony. These aren't cheap, so he is paying top dollar: $80/hr, once a week. Let's say 12 weeks of summer, so we end up with $960 of one-on-one instruction from a top musician, and since it is summer, he can afford to practice four hours a day. He decides to get in shape for the summer, so he pays $50 a month to join a fitness club, $150 total. He spends about $20 a day on food, so that comes to about $1800 total. He also has to pay rent, about $450 a month or $1350 total (the corps kid is subletting his place, so he breaks even). In total, that comes out to: ~$4260, around the same as the drum corps kid. He could get a part-time job and make back some of that money, or he could spend that time doing other things, like independent reading up on subjects related to his major.

At the end of the summer, the corps kid has toured the country, though mainly high school football fields, made some great friends, performed a lot, gotten in shape, etc. The non-corps kid has vastly improved in his own personal musicianship and repertoire, is planning on doing an independent research project with a professor in his department based on his readings, and dropped about 10 pounds going to the gym.

Now, I know there are intangible aspects of the corps experience--I marched World Class for 3 years--but is corps really the best way to spend one's time and money? The answer, of course, is highly subjective, and it depends who you are...but I think it is important to challenge the automatic assumption many have that corps is better than anything else you could do.

• Like 1

If you love the activity and want to march corps, you do. If you would rather be a spectator, you don't. The "worth" is up to the individual.

As someone who has marched corps and has a professional career as a performer and educator, the doors that have opened and connections I have made through drum corps have really helped me out a lot. I have also participated in a few summer music festivals, and the connections I have made through those are valuable as well. It really is a wash. One is not "worth" more than the other.

I think the OP forgets to mention the work ethic that is instilled through corps. However, I suppose that work ethic can be achieved through other mediums.

• Like 2

Along with many other things, what I gained from this activity was not so much musical/physical (even though I am the music educator I am today because of the activity), but the very fact that I can push myself and commit to something so strenuous for an entire summer. If I can make it through a season in drum corps, there isn't a single challenge the world can throw at me that I know I can't push through and achieve with time. Even though I may fail in the end, I'm confident about my ability as a human being to withstand life's challenges and know that I'll always be better in the end for FINISHING what I've committed to! It establishes a strong sense of confidence in who you are and what you're capable of achieving. Having to perform multiple nights during the week for thousands of fans who are there for you is an added bonus. It's so much more than getting better at music and marching...SOO much more. Take a musician who's never done drum corps, have them march a season, and TELL me you don't notice a huge difference in his/her "swagger" when they get back. You can't help but smile and let go...he/she can manage. I could go on and on...but I'll leave the rest for other posters. smile.gif

P.S. I was hating my life for most of the time until all of what was accomplished came flooding back to me in the final week. I was overwhelmed with the wealth of information that I'd learned from the staff and, simply, what I was able to achieve when I REALLY pushed myself beyond being "over it".

Edited by YellowShorts10
  • Like 2

Yes.

The experiences & memories are unique.... if not then why are we all still here?

Worth every penny, however I wonder sometimes if we are actually getting the best talent there is to offer because of the cost. I am sure many are simply turned away from not being able to afford it anymore. I suppose being able to eat and have a home is going to outweigh marching corps any day or at least SHOULD if you have your priorities in order. I can tell you that IF I ever did win the lottery in sufficient numbers I would want to start a corps that would be able to support a group for local kids/young adults that surely could never hope to march in corps.

• Like 2

The drum corps kid pays:

$2400 for corps fees

$75 for the audition

Maybe a more apt comparison...

6 weeks at Interlochen = $7500

• Like 2

I'm not sure how many kids are choosing between drumcorps or lessons with a private instructor. Possibly a few hundred? I think that's a push, although I might be wrong. Their are opportunity costs that come with marching drumcorps. I marched and taught a few seasons and most kids that were struggling with the decision on whether to march corps or not usually were weighing in on missing partying all summer and working a summer job for a few thousand bucks.

I don't know to many corps vets that turn 30 and say "I wish I had taken that job waiting tables and going to parties and the beach when I was 19". Also, I have to say many kids that choose to not march usually end up working part time, sleeping in and staying up late. Maybe a few parties. Whenever I saw them after tour they were pale, chubby and still poor. Not always but often.

I know when you are in college or just a teen a few thousand bucks for corps and missing the summer with friends might seem like a really big deal, but when you are older the money and missed "opportunities" will pale in comparison to your memories.

• Like 2