Stanford Live!

Disappointed with Vanguard. Mars is just weird.

I like more of BK's show than most, I think, including some of the Firebird electronic stuff, but man is the brass weak. Especially the mellos.

BKs brass is actually really talented, they're just a little raw due to the visual demand... Give em a few weeks they'll be cranking it out soon enough:)

• Like 2

I am not fond of the pajamas but feel I have the concept of the show. A major problem for me is that they seem to get lost on the field. I guess the saving grace is they chose blue and white rather than shades of green which would have made them invisible.

I have a feeling the pyjamas are only one of many costume changes Vanguard will make throughout the summer. I don't think they'd have their guys, and especially girls, wearing unflattering-shaped costumes the entire season.

The colors are nice though.

BKs brass is actually really talented, they're just a little raw due to the visual demand... Give em a few weeks they'll be cranking it out soon enough:)

Here's a corps that has had a solid fan base for a couple of years that took quite a risk with their show.

You know what, I like this show. I watched it and immediately connected with the fact that they were trying something different. It was VERY different.

• Like 2

I'm just now getting around to watching this, BK is coming on right now. Some really great drum corps happening out west, and the props to the video crew for putting out a great product for us stuck at home/rehearsal.

The problem, though, is that BD keeps winning and/or finishing very high with shows that a lot of people don't understand, and therefore don't enjoy. Over time, other corps will start to implement the things they're doing in the interest of finishing higher in the standings. When that happens, I think DCI loses. For one, we lose the diversity that has been cited as a beautiful thing. For another, we lose audience.

So to make a long post short (too late), it's not good enough because I see it as a potential long-term danger to the activity as a whole.

I think the 40 year history of DCI proves otherwise. Did all the corps start to look and sound like the Cavaliers in the mid-2000's? Did everyone copy the frantic drill of the Cadets in the mid-1980's? With the Blue Devil's record since 2007, why isn't there any other corps even close to their new design style?

I have seen more diversity in recent years than ever, and I love it!!

• Like 2

INT= Dada

Wow. INT was more Dada than BD. Heavy!

I think the 40 year history of DCI proves otherwise. Did all the corps start to look and sound like the Cavaliers in the mid-2000's? Did everyone copy the frantic drill of the Cadets in the mid-1980's? With the Blue Devil's record since 2007, why isn't there any other corps even close to their new design style?

I have seen more diversity in recent years than ever, and I love it!!

So right you are!

• Like 1

With the Blue Devil's record since 2007, why isn't there any other corps even close to their new design style?

Did some of the corps decide that crowd response was more important?

...and the design style is no longer new - at least not in this decade.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 1

Yes. I'm curious as to how long BD's design will be referred to as "cutting edge", "fresh", and "pushing the envelope", when they've been putting it on the field since at least 2008.

• Like 1

It frustrates me when people complain about BD doing the "same thing every year", yet people go crazy for Crown who have had quite a few similar design elements the past 5 years. This is in no way a knock on Crown (I've loved Crown 2007-2012), but they take ideas and elements they do well and reuse them. The "crown" set, the extended/forever chord, reusing tunes (promise of living, somewhere), crazy field coverage (typically ballad end zone to end zone), plus numerous other things.

Just pointing out that most successful groups reuse themes and ideas. Mainly because they work. If a group is really COMPLETELY different every single year, then that group is probably not very successful.

Z

Finding it funny that people want Madison to be Madison, but want no part of Blue Devils being Blue Devils.

• Like 3