Why Do Drum Corps Arrangers Think They Know Better Than The Great Comp

From the arranger, and hope that they have rights from the original writer. I've run into this with some solo stuff. Asked an arranger for permission, only to find out they didn't have original permission. Kind of sucked.

Kinda what I thought....nice to have confirmation from someone who's gone that route. Thanks.

I don't know a lot about music (still have a lot I need to listen to), but if it wasn't for drum corps, I wouldn't have ever sought out the originals to a lot of music that I now listen to often. ("Nimrod" for example).

Just like I like it when a band covers a classic 80's song, I like it when drum corps "covers" classical music.

• Like 2

I don't know a lot about music (still have a lot I need to listen to), but if it wasn't for drum corps, I wouldn't have ever sought out the originals to a lot of music that I now listen to often. ("Nimrod" for example).

Just like I like it when a band covers a classic 80's song, I like it when drum corps "covers" classical music.

I'd give you 10 plus marks if I could. Me too! if it wasn't for drum corps I don't know what I would have listened to. Well to defend my Mom she was a big Jazz listener and did get me into drum corps in the first place but all the different corps and different styles made me also seek out the recordings too!

One of my high school band clients this year wanted an all-Bach show but told me to arrange the book in such a way as to give it some different creative "flair". I write what I am asked to write and get as creative as possible when they ask me to do so. This isn't some conceit we arrangers/composers have...it is almost always ASKED of us by the design teams.

Sam

Don't give up, Get better. Are you talking to Bocook. the BD, the SCV, Crown, Cavies folks?

GO. GO. GO

KEVIN

Isn't stuff like Bach public domain? or do you still have to pay rights to the record company ######?

Bach is public domain, yes. No rights required.

Isn't stuff like Bach public domain? or do you still have to pay rights to the record company ######?

Everything before I believe 1875 is public domain, with just a couple of exceptions is the family claims rights to it. Music copyrights just didn't exist before then.

Everything before I believe 1875 is public domain, with just a couple of exceptions is the family claims rights to it. Music copyrights just didn't exist before then.

Pretty much everything pre-1923 is public domain, there are very, very few exceptions.