How Does DCI draw in a new fan base?

The woodwinds argument that we need to add woodwinds to make fans out of woodwinds players makes absolutely no sense.

I don't have to be a piano player to enjoy a piano recital. I don't have to play the electric guitar to rock out at a rock concert. I don't have to be a ballet dancer to go to the ballet. I can be totally incapable of singing myself and yet appreciate the opera.

Drum corps offers a distinctive line-up of instrumentation that is its identity. Making it indistinguishable from marching bands removes the distinctiveness that is part of the brand.

You'll lose more fans than you would ever gain.

And that is one of the problems with the changes drum corps has made over the years. They have never been made with marketing or the audience in mind. Or if they have, its been stupid marketing ideas based on poor consumer insights.

It's as if when New Coke failed in the marketplace, Coca-cola kept messing with the formula and evolved it into something that tasted like 7-Up instead of going back instantly to the old Coke that people loved.

• Like 6

The woodwinds argument that we need to add woodwinds to make fans out of woodwinds players makes absolutely no sense.

I don't have to be a piano player to enjoy a piano recital. I don't have to play the electric guitar to rock out at a rock concert. I don't have to be a ballet dancer to go to the ballet. I can be totally incapable of singing myself and yet appreciate the opera.

Drum corps offers a distinctive line-up of instrumentation that is its identity. Making it indistinguishable from marching bands removes the distinctiveness that is part of the brand.

And that is one of the problems with the changes drum corps has made over the years. They have never been made with marketing or the audience in mind. Or if they have, its been stupid marketing ideas based on poor consumer insights.

It's as if when New Coke failed in the marketplace, Coca-cola kept messing with the formula and evolved it into something that tasted like 7-Up instead of going back instantly to the old Coke that people loved.

I love your take...seems a few of us without your background have said many of the things you have.

have you ever contacted DCI?

• Like 1

:worthy:

...gets my vote!

No one has left the activity because they don't like Bb or electronics. It is too addictive an activity to give up for things so trivial and selfish. Life changes, less shows and more travel, rising costs, other priorites get in the way. But it's an easy and popular front to put out when on DCP and feeling nostalgic for the 70s.

I will agree the music has not been in favor of the audience much lately. There are few melodies and coherent, easy to understand concepts out on the field and we do not have a system that rewards that.

Edited by Shadowtron

have you ever contacted DCI?

No. My drum corps history is that I was very active as a member of drum corps fandom for the first few years after aging out. But, then I drifted off in the mid-80's as I started travelling in the Summer to places like Europe and focusing on my career. For about 20 years, I only attended on show a year and that was Allentown.

I drifted back a few years ago when people close to me got more involved in alumni activities and the internet made it more possible to follow the activity without attending shows.

Would DCI listen?

No. My drum corps history is that I was very active as a member of drum corps fandom for the first few years after aging out. But, then I drifted off in the mid-80's as I started travelling in the Summer to places like Europe and focusing on my career. For about 20 years, I only attended on show a year and that was Allentown.

I drifted back a few years ago when people close to me got more involved in alumni activities and the internet made it more possible to follow the activity without attending shows.

Would DCI listen?

I think Jeff may say yes that DCI will listen but I do know many who have sent letters on many subjects to the DCI office only to not get a response or a very generic stock thank you for your views letter...But hey worth a try

Don't be so sure about people leaving the activity due to Bb or electronics... all these things diluted drum corps brand and identity. The more "marching band" it becomes the less unique it is and, in my opnion, the less market power it has. No offense to marching band- but the more drum corps becomes like marching band the more it looses what makes it cool. The more emphasis on a free form "educational activity" the more I loose interest. Don't get me wrong, I am all for music education and the experience drum corps provides. I marched in a top-12 corps in the 90's and the experience was invaluable. I joined DCI because it was everything marching band was not- it was cool. What made it cool was the unique instrumentation, the raw power, the "sport" of it... if it just becomes summer band, what is the point? There are already lots of good high school/college marching bands around and ticket prices to band shows are certainly less than DCI. Why travel and spend lots of money for something I can see down the street?

No one has left the activity because they don't like Bb or electronics. It is too addictive an activity to give up for things so trivial and selfish. Life changes, less shows and more travel, rising costs, other priorites get in the way. But it's an easy and popular front to put out when on DCP and feeling nostalgic for the 70s.

Please tell us where your information that no one has left.

Also you're expressing your opinion that this is trivial and selfish as a fact. Personally I don't like electronics as it gets in the way of hearing the horns/perc. If I don't go to the shows because of this it doesn't mean I am selfish. It means (to me) that this is something that is no longer worth the money, time and effort needed to go to the shows. And as background I did walk away for 10 years because I got bored with what was being presented. No fuss, no B-wording, just found other things to do with my time.

Perhaps you should start exploring the idea that people have different opinions on the matter than you have.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Don't be so sure about people leaving the activity due to Bb or electronics... all these things diluted drum corps brand and identity. The more "marching band" it becomes the less unique it is and, in my opnion, the less market power it has. No offense to marching band- but the more drum corps becomes like marching band the more it looses what makes it cool. The more emphasis on a free form "educational activity" the more I loose interest. Don't get me wrong, I am all for music education and the experience drum corps provides. I marched in a top-12 corps in the 90's and the experience was invaluable. I joined DCI because it was everything marching band was not- it was cool. What made it cool was the unique instrumentation, the raw power, the "sport" of it... if it just becomes summer band, what is the point? There are already lots of good high school/college marching bands around and ticket prices to band shows are certainly less than DCI. Why travel and spend lots of money for something I can see down the street?

drum corps was never cool to the average person , just to us...we may not like hearing it but its true...I still see friends after 30 years and they say.." you still doing that XXXX...lol...but hey we love it i guess.. should Im tired of this bus and gyms already.........lol

• Like 1

Sadly, I don't see Drum Corps gaining new fans that aren't attached to it in some form or fashion, i.e, members, parents, spouses, friends and etc. God knows I have tried to turn people on to it and have gotten quite a few WTF looks. And, this is from other music fans and musicians. I liken Drum Corps to Golf, some people think Golf is incredible and others find it boring as hell. Personally I love Corps and I want to learn to golf.