2012 Shaping up to be a disappointing season?

I just heard about this... What exactly happened in that situation again? Did Brad Pouncey have conflicts or injuries or something like that? Just curious.

My understanding is that it was conflicts in the corps. Although I'm not a member of the cadets organization so I could very well be wrong, and am open to the "real story", whatever that may be.

Seriously? It's June 30th. JUNE-FREAKIN-30th and finals are an eternity away. Madison just beat Cavvies for the first time in 14 years.. Cadets are doing an amazing Christmas theme, Carolina has a chance to take the gold this year.. SCV is ROCKING, BD isn't even out of the gate and Spirit is ba-aaack so whattheheck are you on about - disappointing season? What does it take to get you excited?

• Like 2

Last year people said that the Cavies had too many gimmicks and tricks and also showed them too early in the season.

Did people say that? Last year, the Cavaliers didn't introduce the upside-down drum major until quarterfinals, and didn't even tell the DCI video crew, so that the cine-cast cameras only noticed after the performance was over.

Yeah, but the upside down tenor thing was in from day one, as was the planking bass drum feature. There were a lot of those little effects that were in the show quite early. They also came out with a very finished product in regards to body production, and sound design, both of which are clearly not done as of yet this year.

Yeah, there was a fair amount of chatter early on about the show being too gimmicky. There was even rumor that the upside down tenor players weren't actually playing the notes, and that the notes themselves were super easy etc. Typical haterade, just like there is every year. Don't get me wrong. There's haterade flying at pretty much every corps this time of year. Just pointing out that I do remember that from last year.

I'll echo this. It's JUNE. Why is everyone getting carried away with this topic?

I mean, it's not like we're going to STOP watching drum corps just because 2012 may or may not be as exciting as 2011, or 2000... or the 1984 Cadets of Gowanda County Hurdlejumpers show that was so exciting it made you pee your pants in the stands...

You know, especially being more involved on the design side now moreso than just the instructional... part of the pain and glory of a drum corps season is taking that raw material from May/June... and evolving it over 10 weeks. So, I get it... but at the same time, it's important not to get too caught up in this. Practically no one saw Phantoms' Spartacus being a championship show in May... but it happened... and I'm sure that it was because of the combination of designers, staff, and the exact makeup of that corps. Change a few of those people around... and it may have been a totally different outcome. There's the rub!

How about we take some of the energy and motivation that is in THIS topic, and find a way to FUND the numerous corps and kids out there working their buns off so they can finish their seasons without being in debt rather than be those people on DCP who just sit on here and critique their work as armchair designers, instructors and adjudicators? Sounds more productive to me!

Not trying to be a "Polly Poopypants"... but... I like to keep things in perspective.

Best

LRD

Edited by Lansing R. Dimon
  • Like 1

I'll echo this. It's JUNE. Why is everyone getting carried away with this topic?

I mean, it's not like we're going to STOP watching drum corps just because 2012 may or may not be as exciting as 2011, or 2000... or the 1984 Cadets of Gowanda County Hurdlejumpers show that was so exciting it made you pee your pants in the stands...

The thing I remember most about the Cadets of Gowanda County Hurdlejumpers 1984 "He's the Wiz" show was how the horns warmed up on the field to the fabled "yellow note." This was outlawed by DCI at the following Rules Congress as no other corps wanted to take the field after them. I guess we'll never again hear "Urine Always On My Mind" and "Let it Be Pee" on the field. (I do miss the fact that those last seven words of the previous sentence kind of write their own bad joke.) Cadets of Gowanda County Hurdlejumpers, (remembered by fans simply as "Fred"), probably pulled off the last stream or consciousness show to generate a stream of conscious...well...you know. I was especially touched by their tribute to the 1970 chance encounter of Cavaliers' Don Warren and Troopers' Jim Jones in that Delavan, Wisconsin bathroom that resulted in the creation of the Midwest Combine in 1971 and ultimately DCI, and the way Fred visually treated this in "Americans Pee," borrowed from Cavaliers' 1971 repertoire, and "Promised Porta Potty" from "How the West Was Number One," borrowed from Troopers' 1971 show. And who can ever forget how they visually created the rainbow in salute to Cavaliers' corps song? After climbing the bladder of success during their golden years, the corps' 1984 show resulted in the corps missing the mark and ending up on the competitive floor, soiling their reputation and requiring DCI officials to step in and mop up the mess they left behind. The corps was forced to zip up their operations and relieve themselves of any further commitments. And just when they had soaked up an offer of corporate sponsorship from Depends.

I am either very, very tired or expressing the true spirit of this thread...I can't decide which.

• Like 1