2012 Shaping up to be a disappointing season?

While it would be great for the corps to win their first championship, its kinda like getting a Blu-ray copy of the 1978 Star Wars Holiday Special: How many times would you really re-watch it?

I get what you are saying about the middle part of the show, but they will also be adding a lot in the coming weeks. Just needs some more time to develop, like many other corps.

Edited by Tone Quality Matters

Thats what I find most interesting about DCP,,,for years people have been complaining that the Cavies dont march and play enough and that their shows all seem to be the "same".

Now, that their marching and playing more and have a changed up show design people on here are saying the organization should R.I.P. "cause its not like the Cavies from the last 10 years."

Which one is it?

Last year people said that the Cavies, had too many gimmicks and tricks, and also showed them too early in the season. This year the staff has decided to hold back on giving the audience too much too soon, and suddenly the Cavaliers "will be lucky to stay in the top eight".

Take it from a BD fan: DCP double standards aren't worth your time.

Also I'm amused, and kind of bewildered, to hear that so many folks find Crown's show boring this year. Thats what I think every other year. This year, I think they're fantastic (so far). Oh well. Go Crown!

• Like 1

I think the interesting thing this year is that so far it doesn't seem that there are any real CHAMPIONSHIP CALIBER shows IMO.

there are plenty that are good and entertaining, but none that scream championship to me.

Crown has an incredible brass book and hornline, but the show itself is bleh and weak(ish) drumline/guard/visual

PHantom has a great show but it's not difficult enough to earn the trophy IMO

Cadets have a great design and are the only corps besides BD that should be strong in all captions.... but it's a christmas show! even though I like it... it's still a christmas show

SCV has good music and drums but big visual problems

BD is strong in all captions, but IMO not a very entertaining show ... but it seems that when nobody else has a championship show BD wins by default..

Cavaliers have evidently taken the season off.

This makes competition interesting because everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, but remember in 06 and 08 when there were three championship calibur shows!?? THAT was awesome.

i hope this doesn't sound too negative, I just couldn't explain my point without referencing the weak points.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 1

I love all of Crown's show. The simple fact of it being hard as hell is a turn on for me. Once the show gets clean it will blow peoples minds.

You mean IF it gets clean. That kind of stuff separates the gold from the silver. I guess you could say crown has the show to win, but does that staff know how to take them to the next level?

We shall find out in August.

Although i'm still rooting for my Cavaliers to show everyone up :)

I've figured out the problem.

Everyone is just feeling a little Blue... or should I say GREEN?

You see, if Cavaliers had come out blazing hot like last year then people would be talking about the tight compatition between the three C's. And the chances of either Crown or Cavies overtuning the Cadets who are strongly defending their championship. They would talking about how BD is going to fit in the mix and then the competition up top would be Exciting. Cavaliers in their greatness will bring up the intrigue of everyone elses show because the Green Spice would have livened things up at the top.

But alas... we learn that if Cavies are having a bad year... we're ALL having a bad year! :tongue:

...Cavaliers have evidently taken the season off...

I've heard they've been at eight shows, but having not seen them myself, I'm not sure if that's just a collective hallucination on the part of their fans. Placement might be perhaps due to still working out the kinks on the hologram technology that projects the corps onto the field.

Did you know that "Fifteen Minutes of Fame" was originally conceived as a theme and variations on the song Irene Cara sang back in 1980 for the movie, "Fame"? The show was to begin with the drum major belting out, "Baby, look at me, and tell me what you see..." to a backdrop of the pit section playing air saxophones.

That concept was ditched when someone heard that Yamaha had not yet released their line of air saxophones due to a problem with the imaginary key pads sealing properly.

• Like 4

Its a wonderful season that will be over before you know it. We speculate for months based on rumors and gossip and now we have it so enjoy!

I will not address negatives because the sweat that goes into getting these corps to even exist let alone thrive can not be imagined unless you

march or are involved in the organization.

Highlights so far of 2012:

CROWN continues to mature into a DCI powerhouse. This type of momentum only gathers after years of nurturing and trying to do the right

thing for the corps and kids. I really like what I've seen and heard. Are they guaranteed the gold in August? No. Do they have

the right stuff? YES.

CADETS probably the most bashed WC corps on DCP. They are risk takers that went in a completely direction after their successful 2011

season and opted for Christmas music and are surprising some but not everyone that they are a powerhouse in 2012. (this is a

corps that did a show about rocks one year). This is one of my favorite Cadet shows because they combine classic cadets with

some beautiful music. Its nice not to start to dose off in the middle of a WC corps show.

PHANTOM despite the gossip of staff defections, has one of their most beautiful shows in many years, this coming from a PR fan.

Its a joy to watch and listen to and an all time favorite of mine.

MADISON continuing their miraculous climb is giving madison alumni and fans another wonderful summer. A corps with an amazing history

could have been on the brink of nonexistence and through dedication, sweat and determination, brought itself back to its

past glory.

SPIRIT another powerhouse from the seventies and eighties sprinting back up to the top echelons of DCI. Again, no easy task but will

thrill us once again with sheer power and entertainment.

Just a couple of thoughts two weeks into a dissappointing season.

• Like 2

CADETS-this is a corps that did a show about rocks one year.

A Stonehenge reference! I love it! :thumbup: