Attraction?

As a former lead sop, first of all, this is blasphemy. Secondly, where's the fun in that??

Lastly, we gotta lean back to lift our HUGE brass balls off the ground. :tongue:

Hahahahahahah!! Oh no! I'm having flashbacks to Fresno State rehearsals, when Dr. Gary Gilroy would totally bag on BD members about their ridiculous posture when screaming...and as a lead trumpet (as mentioned) coached by Vanguard guys, it was too funny. But when we got out of hand with enjoying his teasing them, he'd make ridiculous Vanguard comments and well, so be it! Preference, preference, preference. Personally, I think anyone could bend and scatter walk to their sets :laughing: but in the end it's kind of a good thing that not every corps is exactly the same. It's almost ingenious how those two corps are so close to each other, and so different in style!!

Ok sorry, I'm :offtopic: again.

• Like 1

Up until three years ago I didn't know Drum Corps even existed. That was when my son, at the end of his sophomore year in high school, announced that he was giving up the clarinet...the instrument he had played since third grade...to play horn/mello. His reason was that he wanted to march with the Blue Knights. I already had two years of watching high school marching band performances, so after a little investigation, I knew just what my son was getting himself into and I approved wholeheartedly. Three years later, he auditioned and was invited to BK.

I am eagerly awaiting this Saturday when I can experience my first ever live DCI performance at DATR.

Amen! :thumbup:

It was the summer before 4th grade and I had a big crush on a girl named Marietta Cox. She was a 6th grader. One day my mom asked me if I wanted to go see the blue devils. I said no I don't wanna go see some dumb marching band. She said "Marietta is gonna be there" "OK I'll go!"

Then I saw what it was all about and since I already played drums I joined that fall in 1970.

• Like 6

Hahahahahahah!! Oh no! I'm having flashbacks to Fresno State rehearsals, when Dr. Gary Gilroy would totally bag on BD members about their ridiculous posture when screaming...and as a lead trumpet (as mentioned) coached by Vanguard guys, it was too funny. But when we got out of hand with enjoying his teasing them, he'd make ridiculous Vanguard comments and well, so be it! Preference, preference, preference. Personally, I think anyone could bend and scatter walk to their sets :laughing: but in the end it's kind of a good thing that not every corps is exactly the same. It's almost ingenious how those two corps are so close to each other, and so different in style!!

Ok sorry, I'm :offtopic: again.

</topic>

When were you at Fresno?

<topic>

</topic>

When were you at Fresno?

<topic>

</topic>

02-04

<topic>

Also, adding to what I've been reading, we weren't the wealthiest school in the area. So, many/most of the students in that HS band those years were attracted to Drum Corps by the hype of what it was to be "bad ###" when marching, instead of just dorky. Horn snaps, ripples, horn manuals, the whole bit, since most of us couldn't afford to do corps, we hyped on the idea of corps.

I'm not even sure, honestly.

I know that was I was super intrigued by how different the instruments were from what I was used to. My band had trumpets, marching french horns, and sousaphones, but drum corps had these mysterious things called sopranos, mellophones (I know some HS bands use mellos, but mine didn't) , and contras, and of course they were in the key of G.

But other than that it was excellence. The first shows I heard were BD and Cadets '97, both great shows, IMO, and I listened to them over and over. I'd never heard anything like the Cadets mellophones.

But I've fallen victim to something I think all of us have trouble with, in that I romanticize the era in which I became a fan. I'm less of a fan these days (though not for any specific reason like A&E or the paradigm changes in show design; just burnout mostly), and I sometimes wonder if I would have become a fan if I'd grown up in this new era. The answer is probably yes, of course, but since I'm not a huge fan anymore I'm having a bit of trouble articulating what it is I like about drum corps. Mostly, for me, it's just following my brothers in green.

But other than that I guess I like the competition. I like seeing the shows change and how much of a difference a week can make competitively. It's always interesting when suddenly everyone's opinions change on a given corps' show and performance.

</topic>

02-04

<topic>

OK. I was there in '88, the Freedom Bowl pep band and for Gary's first year. My wife was the feature twirler there in the early 90s and also for Gary's first year.

Joined my first corps (Jr in HS) because after HS I was going to Community College and ... *gasp* no band. So little local start up corps was best option to keep playing. SIX months later saw my first show from the back (sold out front) at Hershey and the horn/perc sound just surprised the crud outta me with the emotion and power of lot less people on the field than MB. Plus the people in the place were just pumped unlike a halftime show or regular band show. Plus amazed at the beautiful music that could be played with horns that were modified signaling devices (seriously).

** Disclaimer: Buccs knocked off Cabs at the show which was NOT appreciated by the tons of Cabs fans there.... added to the crowd being pumped :shutup: ***

Edited by JimF-LowBari

What attracted you to drum corps?

I fell in pretty much by accident, having never seen or heard a drum corps prior to attending my first rehearsal. The neighboring parish where my cousins went to school was starting a feeder group for their older competition corps. Aunt Jeannie suggested to my mom that maybe I would like to come downtown and give it a try. I floundered initially, but got a little better after a while, realized I enjoyed it, and stayed.

Camaraderie and a sense of belonging, the excitement of traveling (if you can call a 45 minute bus ride traveling, lol - it was a simpler time!) and performing/competing, developing my playing skills - what's not to like?

regards,

Fred O.