Cavaliers in danger of missing finals?

I am basically a believer that if the show isn't good enough, then the score should reflect that. However, it is sad to see a great corps like the Cavies take such a long fall. I feel for the marching members, and even some for the instructional staff. If the staff is as good as they were meant to be, they will fix this enough to get up a least few notches without cheating the corps ahead of them their do respect also.

Cavaliers will be in finals, the design, as flawed as it is right now is a finals worthy product, if and when executed and sold properly.....This is easily their weakest program/concept in many years, but, never mind Cavalier magic, blah blah, the simple fact is its still a world class program, flawed but full ofpotential...now they just have to get it done.

Geoffrey

• Like 1

You can beat a dead horse but you cant can't clean a dead show. Just saying. IMHO

• Like 6

Cavaliers are in 11th after last night. That said, they've got 2+ points over the corps in 12th-14th, and TWO of those corps (Blue Knights, Blue Stars, Colts) would have to get hot and clean enough to pass Cavaliers for them to drop out of Finals. I just don't see that happen. Still, even the fact that we're discussing the possibility is amazing enough.

Personally, I think the best case scenario for the Cavaliers this summer is 8th place. Right now the Top 6 is Crown, Blue Devils, Cadets, Phantom, Bluecoats, and Vanguard. SCV, in 6th place, is already 4.5 points ahead of the Cavaliers (adjusted scores from my rankings). I think there's no chance Cavaliers catch any of them. In 7th, the Madison Scouts have stretched their lead over the Cavaliers to a point in a half. Not insurmountable, but I think it's a long-shot. Now, the Cavaliers are still within a point of Crossmen, Spirit, and Boston (8th-10th), and they COULD catch any or all of them. I think the Cavaliers passing up Crossmen and Boston is pretty likely. Spirit of Atlanta... I think Spirit and Cavaliers are pretty well matched-up, we'll see.

• Like 1

I think we will see them hit a point where they will be at their lowest of the season (maybe right after the final revisions are finished) and then they will rise up a bit. We tend to forget that they were 3rd place last year, and because of that, they have a lot of talented members that can get things done faster than some of the other corps that are just below them placement-wise.

I had them in 8th in a prediction thread, and I still think this is possible, but I guess I would not be surprised if it is 10th at this point. I think I would surprised if it was anything lower than that, though.

• Like 1

Just wait until August get here, folks. Then we will see if this activity is really biased and crooked. I still believe that come finals week, the Cavaliers are going magically appear in the top 7, even if they don't deserve to be there. There will probably be one or two corps that get the shaft because some judges didn't have the guts to do the right thing.

There's a reason why the top 8 usually makes the top 8, and why the top 5 usually makes the top 5. The corps who place that high deserve that place. I honestly don't think that there's politics involved in drum corps. If the Cavaliers make it into the top 7 by finals then that's they deserve, if not, then they didn't deserve it.

• Like 1

Did the thought cross my mind? Sure...but, thinking back to how other corps have bounced back from pitfalls like this, made me realize that the Cavaliers comeback will be no different. I'm not saying they're going to win Finals...but they will squeak by in the top 12.

**Edit...Also, I did see their show once...in Dothan, Ala. No, I didn't really understand it. BUT, that doesn't mean it isn't a good show, because I'll be the first to admit that sometimes I don't pay attention to the right things to understand it. Yes, it was dirty, but so was everyone else's at that point. Obviously, I haven't seen it since the changes have been made, but regardless of what I think the Cavaliers will bounce back. When I first got the news that Spirit beat them, I thought "Oh boy, can't wait to see what DCP is speculating now." Sure, a feat that Spirit accomplished last night is enough to bring up some discussion, but I just can't imagine not seeing these guys in the top 12.

And not to take anything away from Spirit, because they're basically my hometown corps...but, I just don't see this being as big of an effect on the corps as we are making it out to be.

Edited by Carolina09Spirit

I honestly do not think we can compare any scores from different shows at this point. The new system is definitely showing some interesting results, but there haven't been full panels at any show that I've been following yet, and many of these corps have not gone head to head. Now, I am a fan of everyone, but seriously - there are lower tier corps in some shows that have been scoring "above" corps that are clearly in a higher tier - but they are at different shows and so those scores really are not relative due to this new system and our unfamiliarity with it. We will know a lot more about rankings after the first regional, but even then I expect a lot of topsy turvy this season. And since that is what we've been asking for for years, I'm not about to complain!

So - to the point of the thread: Whether or not Cavaliers are in finals (and I seriously expect they'll be right in the thick of it) is something we can't even begin to judge until we've got everyone head to head.

Edited by TerriTroop
  • Like 4