Marvelous Minneapolis

And this, kids, is why drum corps need to have trained professionals design, set-up, and operate their sound systems. Not your pit tech. Not some guy that "ran the board for his WGI indoor line". Someone with actual training.

When I was in the army band, my secondary job was to serve a the band's sound engineer. I wasn't allowed anywhere near the board until I had passed several training courses, and proved I was proficient. it absolutely drives me insane that most corps don't do the same thing. Also, if you are the pit guy, and you tell the sound engineer there's not enough marimba in the mix, STF down and STF up. You're wrong.

Paging Frank Dorritie to the Mixing Board ... Frank Dorritie to the Mixing Board.

I'm not specifically promoting this book ... but Frank *does* know a bit about sound, sound reinforcement, and drum corps.

Funny when back in those days everybody said they needed to stop doing the western shows every year because they were holding them back.

It's a real challenge to find a way to respect your heritage without being hamstrung by it. Troopers aren't the only corps that have to find a balance.

• Like 3

Always baffled me too.

"Yup. Hard to believe it's been so difficult for Texas to field a competitive drum corps for the last 20 years, since so many Texas kids are in DCI. "

It is probably going to take other corps relocating like Crossmen did. There are corps that are having trouble recruiting members that might look at the massive population increases in Texas and see a way to stability. Not to mention being able to work outside during winter camps. I hate the idea of poaching a corps from another area, but I think we may be watching a corps that could benefit from relocating to Texas.

Edited by musclebud

It's not a good sign when I'm more interested in the bass line warming up in the background than what's on the field.

I really can't follow the Troopers show. It lacks melodic development which i think is it's most glaring weakness. Amps way too loud.

Loved Colts closer. Soloist did a nice job. Loved all of Crossmen! And Academy has a good program with an excellent intro.

I am still concerend that a lot of arrangers are more worried about effects and chords instead of creating the melodic content that leads to that big hit, that pushes the phrase and the thought forward.

• Like 1

Next on the field are the Glassmen from Toledo, Ohio. Their 2012 program is entitled "GlassWorks" and consists of:

Mishima by Glass, Philip

Original by Poulan, Key; Ferguson, Rob

Ethiopia III (from Beyond Borders) by Horner, James

Symphony No. 3 (Organ Symphony) by Saint-Saens, Camille