Marching arts leaders meet in Indianapolis

Another thing that might not help the DCI fan opinion of DCA is that while the DCI corps are at their peak for champs week, the DCA corps have another 3 weeks before their champs, so they are far from their own peak performance level.

Well, that would not matter any more than what we are currently doing. Right now, DCI audiences see DCA corps in June and July. August would at least be better than that. Another poster mentioned that a show in conjunction with DCI Finals before was not well attended. I am guessing it was not advertised by DCI. My guess is that if we did something like this, DCI and DCA would put together a package where people could be a ticket to the DCA show for not much more.

Another thing that might not help the DCI fan opinion of DCA is that while the DCI corps are at their peak for champs week, the DCA corps have another 3 weeks before their champs, so they are far from their own peak performance level.

I suspect if you threw in a super regional at Indy that corps would step that up a notch or two not wanting to look bad in front of such a experienced audience.

Well, that would not matter any more than what we are currently doing. Right now, DCI audiences see DCA corps in June and July. August would at least be better than that. Another poster mentioned that a show in conjunction with DCI Finals before was not well attended. I am guessing it was not advertised by DCI. My guess is that if we did something like this, DCI and DCA would put together a package where people could be a ticket to the DCA show for not much more.

Actually they've done it a few times. Madison and East Providence (in connection with the DCI Finals in Foxboro in 2005). I can't speak for what happened at Madison, but the show in East Prov was on Sunday afternoon. I can't say it was any better attended when the show had taken place on a Saturday evening. It didn't have an amazing new group of DCI fans attending. I also don't recall it being a ticket for any different price than normal. It was advertised though.

Lets face it. The lines between DCA and DCI are getting closer and closer each year.

In terms of design and performance, the 2 circuits are almost entirely different animals. In terms of a common interest in promoting and maintaining the activity, the 2 circuits have always had that in common, even though at times it wouldn't have seemed that way. Perhaps all these separate organizations are beginning to see the handwriting on the wall.

Actually they've done it a few times. Madison and East Providence (in connection with the DCI Finals in Foxboro in 2005). I can't speak for what happened at Madison, but the show in East Prov was on Sunday afternoon. I can't say it was any better attended when the show had taken place on a Saturday evening. It didn't have an amazing new group of DCI fans attending. I also don't recall it being a ticket for any different price than normal. It was advertised though.

The 99 DCA Madison event was on the Saturday afternoon of the DCI finals night, in Camp Randall. It was sparsely attended.

Some of the biggest fans of DCA corps are actually members of DCI corps; allow them to attend at a discounted rate and you may have something.........if their staffs would give them the 2 (or so) hour opportunity to attend and forgo rehearsal time (which may be a challenge in itself).

The Kilties have shared rehearsal sites over the many seasons with a great deal of DCI corps, and one may be surprised how many of their members stop by during rehearsals and enjoy the program and product being presented by a DCA associated corps; and are supportive and enthusiastic.

Two cases come to mind as recently as last season. Teal Sound was sharing a rehearsal site with us and during a brass ensemble rehearsal we were having; a huge amount of their members came over after their rehearsal just to sit, observe, listen and enjoy......and stayed quite a while, many hung around later to chat with a good portion of us. Same held true with members of the Madison Scouts when we attended their show last season....a good chunk of their brass players came to our warm-ups just to listen and observe; and having a great time enjoying the process. Again many of us spent some time with them after warm-up, and to be transparent a few of the Scouts (attending our warm-ups) performed in the Kilts prior to joining the Scout ranks...so there was a minor tie there. Just two weeks ago, members of the Colt Cadets came to our warm-ups.

In short, participants of DCI associated corps seemingly really enjoy DCA formatted corps.......it's simply many do not get the chance to actually see, hear, and enjoy DCA corps in some performance manner..........there's your potential expanded audience at a DCI/DCA regional....they just need the opportunity. We certainly know a good many participants of DCA corps attend, support and enjoy performances of DCI associated corps, maybe it's time to encourage that support to be reciprocal in nature by allowing DCI participating corps members the opportunity to enjoy DCA corps' performances.

• Like 1

Tom, I love the idea of cooperation. One of the things I would love to see is the concept of DCI/DCA regular season shows make a reappearance. I think the Hershey show was a benefit to both sides of this activity and by losing that, we lost a needed connection between the two. I realize in this era of youtube videos more people are exposed to DCA that previously only heard about the idea of old people marching lame shows, and they can see that this is not the case these days. Yet, I still think in person exposure is the best way to truly experience anything.

So while my comments regarding combining DCA into DCI finals came off as against the idea, those comments were in response to those that were previously made. The past experiences have not been overly beneficial to DCA as the DCI fans didn't come out in droves to be supportive of the shows. I think the idea needs to happen on the smaller level first before going out to Indy. Build the audience. And yes, marketing will go a long way in making that happen.

This meeting should be considered the biggest step to showing the fans that we are all working towards one common goal, THEM. And I think that is wonderful. :smile:

exactly my dear...

The 99 DCA Madison event was on the Saturday afternoon of the DCI finals night, in Camp Randall. It was sparsely attended.

Some of the biggest fans of DCA corps are actually members of DCI corps; allow them to attend at a discounted rate and you may have something.........if their staffs would give them the 2 (or so) hour opportunity to attend and forgo rehearsal time (which may be a challenge in itself).

I doubt you'd have any of the finalist corps forgo a good chunk of their last rehearsal just to go sit and watch, but there are other DCI corps that did not make finals.

• Like 1

I doubt you'd have any of the finalist corps forgo a good chunk of their last rehearsal just to go sit and watch, but there are other DCI corps that did not make finals.

All of whom have other responsibilities that day. Most non-finalist corps will be cleaning up, turning in equipment, and preparing to go home. That's not to say they couldn't make an afternoon show, but it's highly unlikely. Especially when you factor in stuff like the mandatory parade they all did last year.

• Like 1

All of whom have other responsibilities that day. Most non-finalist corps will be cleaning up, turning in equipment, and preparing to go home. That's not to say they couldn't make an afternoon show, but it's highly unlikely. Especially when you factor in stuff like the mandatory parade they all did last year.

Ah, true...never mind! :tongue:

• 10 years later...
On 7/13/2012 at 1:14 PM, camel lips said:

Exposure to a larger market? Hello?????

I think the super regional is the first step. Build up the fan base.

Lets Face it. The stadium at INDY is already paid for for the week. The fans are already there. Work the schedule just right and DCA and DCI could see huge monetary gains by doing this. But its going to take some time and growing pains to get there.

Way back in 2012. But no one wanted to listed or even consider the possibilities.  LOL