Salem, WI 7/12

It's amazing to me as to how many "Madison haters" there are out there!! What's also amazing is when the corps starts to make a turn around, which has been long over due, so many people seemed shocked and for lack of a better word, appalled. Maybe it's me and I tend to look at things through "Scout colored glasses." Anyone else objectively feel that way?

• Like 1

It's amazing to me as to how many "Madison haters" there are out there!! What's also amazing is when the corps starts to make a turn around, which has been long over due, so many people seemed shocked and for lack of a better word, appalled. Maybe it's me and I tend to look at things through "Scout colored glasses." Anyone else objectively feel that way?

I guess I would have to disagree. I haven’t detected very much “hating” on the Scouts. Instead, I see some frustration in some people because of where their favorite corps is scoring vs. their expectations. Indeed, I have seen many people on DCP expressing happiness that the Scouts are placing a bit better than they have the last few years.

There is no reason to hate on any corps. Drum Corps people are, by and large, very cool, very supportive people. We are all part of a pretty cool niche activity in the grand scheme of things, and because of that, drum corps people are very supportive and appreciative of each other in my experience.

• Like 5

Why did Phantom finish so low in percussion last night?

IMO something went wrong during a drum feature in the middle of the show.

I didn't review the show last night because it had changed so much in the weeks since i last saw them!

But the one drum feature looked and sounded really odd, like one of the lead drums mid-stepped and it did something to the sound too. I don't know if this is absolutely so because I haven't seen them at a show in weeks.

The flow of the show almost stopped IMO.

The show starts strong and the guard looks great.

The brass sounded much stronger than what I have heard on FN.

The field is lined on 3 sides by 'heads' on poles. Not sure if many notice that. The heads could use some color. Maybe red streamers?

The beheading is more interesting.

The pit is getting better and better as they take the lead musically several times.

The drums are getting lost sound wise as the brass gets louder. Mid show, as I mentioned above, IMO , either a drum feature got messed up or something was missing. It looked odd as they were front and center. And it sounded odd.

Some great guard work in the middle of the show. Fast moves, flag work....great look to it!

Group brass features need work, especially the mellos. Should be easy to fix. ND solo is SO GOOD!

As long as Phantom has room to tweek and clean their show I doubt the ending will change. It's just teasing the audience and very few stood for the ending. A lady sitting next to me wanted to jump up, instead it was a ahhh moment for her and her family.

Save it for closer to finals Phantom!

Overall I liked the show even more. I can see why it scores so well, can see where some cleaning/tightening can be done and there is so much room for changes especially at the end.

Heading up to Minneapolis in a few hours.

It will be interesting to see how everyone lines up score wise in this first real regional competition.

I'm looking for Phantom to settle into 4 th or 5th and be given some strong incentive to push even harder in the second half of the season.

• Like 1

think its a conspiracy?

They had a couple days off made changes. First show with changes isnt perfect and tonight they probably were more solid. Or the judges overall thought they were 4 pts better tonight.

Wow, Crossmen were off three days too, and there score dropped .30 from Sunday and Two POINTs from last Saturday??? WTH. praying they have a Great Show on the 14th!!! and their scores relate to that Great Show!!!

Same thing happened to Madison last summer, when they were ranked 5th while back on the east coast with no close competition, but came in 10th at Indy.

Good point. The frustration comes in when some fans relie on the scores from early season partial panels, and non head head to head competition results of shows where the quality mix of the Corps is not the same. Plus, DCI puts the newer judges generally out in the local shows, but in the Regionals its the more experienced judges that judge that we'll probably see some of the same faces judging the Semi's and the Finals. There is always more volatility in scores and spreads n the early season... every year this happens. If you place a lot of stock in the early season rankings you are setting yourself up for later season frustration. We caution about this every season, but what are you gonna do... it is what it is, and folks do seem to value the rankings of the early season shows with the partial panels and whatnot.

Good point. The frustration comes in when some fans relie on the scores from early season partial panels, and non head head to head competition results of shows where the quality mix of the Corps is not the same. Plus, DCI puts the newer judges generally out in the local shows, but in the Regionals its the more experienced judges that judge that we'll probably see some of the same faces judging the Semi's and the Finals. There is always more volatility in scores and spreads n the early season... every year this happens. If you place a lot of stock in the early season rankings you are setting yourself up for later season frustration. We caution about this every season, but what are you gonna do... it is what it is, and folks do seem to value the rankings of the early season shows with the partial panels and whatnot.

exactly how I see it as well...

Wow, Crossmen were off three days too, and there score dropped .30 from Sunday and Two POINTs from last Saturday??? WTH. praying they have a Great Show on the 14th!!! and their scores relate to that Great Show!!!

they finally met some competition above them that weren't top 3 corps.

Like I said earlier:

Madison, please share with the rest of the drum corps world how you gained almost 4 full points in two nights.

Also not baggin;... but I'm really curious.

angel1.gif

Madison made a bunch of changes to the show on Sunday and Monday. I was at practice on Monday, and the changes were still gelling a bit. The horn line had new music to play and on Monday was a little out of it and trying to grasp all the new stuff. Guard just put in some new stuff too. Maybe all these changes are starting to gel and there is still lots to clean ... maybe that can explain the 4 point jump. Bethatasitmay, I like the upward direction of the scores.

Why did Phantom finish so low in percussion last night?

IMO something went wrong during a drum feature in the middle of the show.

I didn't review the show last night because it had changed so much in the weeks since i last saw them!

But the one drum feature looked and sounded really odd, like one of the lead drums mid-stepped and it did something to the sound too. I don't know if this is absolutely so because I haven't seen them at a show in weeks.

The flow of the show almost stopped IMO.

The show starts strong and the guard looks great.

The brass sounded much stronger than what I have heard on FN.

The field is lined on 3 sides by 'heads' on poles. Not sure if many notice that. The heads could use some color. Maybe red streamers?

The beheading is more interesting.

The pit is getting better and better as they take the lead musically several times.

The drums are getting lost sound wise as the brass gets louder. Mid show, as I mentioned above, IMO , either a drum feature got messed up or something was missing. It looked odd as they were front and center. And it sounded odd.

Some great guard work in the middle of the show. Fast moves, flag work....great look to it!

Group brass features need work, especially the mellos. Should be easy to fix. ND solo is SO GOOD!

As long as Phantom has room to tweek and clean their show I doubt the ending will change. It's just teasing the audience and very few stood for the ending. A lady sitting next to me wanted to jump up, instead it was a ahhh moment for her and her family.

Save it for closer to finals Phantom!

Overall I liked the show even more. I can see why it scores so well, can see where some cleaning/tightening can be done and there is so much room for changes especially at the end.

Heading up to Minneapolis in a few hours.

It will be interesting to see how everyone lines up score wise in this first real regional competition.

I'm looking for Phantom to settle into 4 th or 5th and be given some strong incentive to push even harder in the second half of the season.

You ROCK! Thanks :)

Well, this is my first post. I was there last night (no secret, I am a Phantom mom). For me it always starts with the music. Do I like the show? Would I want to sit through it more than once (or go out for concessions during it). I can approach drum corp analytically by caption; however, I choose to post from the heart.

Pioneer - This show seemed very uneven. I know their formula, and they are true to it. I think it is lacking horns (but not percussion). The kids are working very hard!

Crossmen. I really liked their show. They have a lush brass sound, and the guard is integrated quite well in the drill. The music is pleasant on the ear. I thought that their opening set was definitely their strongest. My biggest problem always with Crossmen is that their energy is just not consistent throughout the show. The ending was just quite abrupt (was it really the ending???; oh yes it was). Lots of talent there.

Spirit of Atlanta - Show is entertaining, music familiar, and a nice loud brass sound. They are really bringing it this year, although, I gotta say that the show is a little bit hokey for me (just my own humble opinion - crowd really seemed into it and liking it - lots of Spirit staff watching show near me). Guard does a nice energetic job, and costume changes are seamless (costumes very pretty). Great energy felt from the field. I have to say, though, I truly hate all the voice overs (in Pio or in Spirit). Voice overs never play well in Lucas Oil.

Scouts - Not my favorite show of theirs (and I am a Madison fan). Definitely can see that changes have been made and need to be tightened up. Just don't feel that the guard is used well or integrated well. For me to not notice the guard, well either they aren't bringing it like they usually do; or maybe the drill/costumes are not utilizing them like they should. Love the lead trumpets - always a delight - true Madison sound. Crowd very partisan, loving them and wanting them to break 80 from what I heard around me.

Regiment - what can I say - this is a great show (but I loved Juliet and Into the Light as much if not even more). Tons of changes are surely coming. Biggest on my 'want list' is for the closer to just be more climactic - it isn't a race to the end, it is a journey. You gotta take what made for a

true goose bumps drum corp love moment during the last 90 seconds of Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral at DCI finals last season bringing people to their feet - and find a way to channel that into Nessun Dorma. This is one of the greatest arias of all time - make it memorable, make it hurt. This is what Regiment does - it moves people.

My son did not feel any crowd energy in Salem when Phantom was performing (which is unlike what they have been experiencing on tour). Interesting................

Edited by Phanmom