Note to DCA....

Are you folks aware that there's something called a flag code? Or such a thing as flag etiquette?

And do you plan to *ever* do anything about it?

Just askin'.....

examples for those of us that may not know the rule inside and out?

this may just be the vaguest post I've seen on here in ages

• Like 2

Andy, WTH happened to get you this ratted up? Every circuit I've judged for is extremely fastidious about Flag Code enforcement, and DCA is by far the most attentive to this that I know of.

My guess would be that there was a warning given out. In certain circuits nowadays, T and P people usually warn units of T and P violations until a certain date, then penalties are assessed without any warning later in season. Saves a lot of face and headaches.

Edited by BigW

Andy, WTH happened to get you this ratted up? Every circuit I've judged for is extremely fastidious about Flag Code enforcement, and DCA is by far the most attentive to this that I know of.

My guess would be that there was a warning given out. In certain circuits nowadays, T and P people usually warn units of T and P violations until a certain date, then penalties are assessed without any warning later in season. Saves a lot of face and headaches.

agreed wally.... for years dca has indeed used the warning only on flag code violations early season... and this is the first or second show of the year... The flag code is the LAW of the land and can NOT and should not be ignored, that's why the basic code items are still specified in the rule book... but early season warnings are appropriate...

Timing and sideline violations are not ignored ANYTIME since they effect the actual competition aspect between different corps...

Now, this is one area where I WILL claim to have expertise - taught by none other than Bud Floyd of Utica Yankees fame... as Wally asked, tell us what you saw... We weren't all there... also, the chief may have missed it and if the corps doesn't realize it... they soon MAY get a penalty when it does get noticed... so it would be best for the corps to mention what you saw to enable them to correct it. and I would be glad to advise if it is indeed a DCA violation...

examples for those of us that may not know the rule inside and out?

Let me just suggest that I had breakfast Sunday morning with a former subject of the Queen and to say that he was angry about the disregard shown for the Union Jack (the British flag) would be an understatement.

National Colors should NOT be thrown about and dragged across the grass under any circumstances.

And no, Jeff, I don't know the rules inside and out, but but it doesn't take a "rule book" to tell me that the national colors of any country should be treated with respect; common sense and common courtesy should suffice. What would be our reaction be were Kidsgrove or Scout House or Yokohama to come in and start using our flag as a toy?

And Tom, please don't tell me that DCA is "on top of this." On the two occasions I've requested specific information from DCA, I've been referred to some website that offers only the most vague information about numbers of people, and when they're counted as a part of the corps and when they're not - nothing at all about "rules." Perhaps a different way of looking at it might be, when was the last time DCA actually issued a penalty to a corps for a flag violation?

So what is your suggestion? That the Hurcs get thrown out for the year because of their guard?

• Like 2

I see what you're getting at Andy. However, from where I was sitting, there was enough subtle differences between the Union Jack and the one was being tossed and dragged about that this doesn't apply. I've seen enough corps (and bands for that matter) do the same with the American flag, but again there's enough differences to make the flag code not apply.

So what is your suggestion? That the Hurcs get thrown out for the year because of their guard?

Liz, you're being silly. Have another cup of coffee....

• Like 2

Well what is your thoughts because obviously the ones you have are very strong, otherwise your original post wouldn't have come off as DCA is doing nothing for something that deserves to be penalized.