Does Drum Corps Need 23 Shows With Cliche Themes?

Pauvre flag. Elle va mourir.. English translation.... This I believe....

Ripoff of Victor Borges "And now Claire du Lune... English translation... Clear the Saloon".

Eh... gotta love Class A DCA show themes "Surely we're serious, and don't call us Shirley" and "Get On The Bus" (wife and I have shirts of that one.... :worthy:

• Like 1

I honestly don't understand the OP. Not the use of "cliche" but just what's being asked? Are you saying that people who complain about not "getting" shows are asking for cliche themes? Or are you saying the themes out there are cliche and you wish there were more interesting themes?

Since most of the responses are jokey, I assume few others really understood what you are asking about, as well. Could you lay out some examples of show themes this year that you think are cliche, and show themes that you feel are non-cliche, and that you think should set a model for the cliche-grabbers? Or vice versa if I've misunderstood your intent.

I actually think a fun corps, say Jersey Surf, should do a program called "Cliche" in 2013. Play whats been played, do whats been done and portray what's been portrayed. Do it over the top with some humor.

So... basically become the Velvet Knights of late-80s/early-90s?

• Like 1

Note: the following message is meant to be “tongue in cheek”

Yes, of course we need a snazzy name for each show. Otherwise, how will the audience know what it is that they’re watching. They may not know that what they are watching is the artistic expression of an esoteric idea that the design staff slaved over for hours and hours, and therefore may not recognize the design staff’s true genius.

This is why we have to have narration in a show, I guess

Do I really exist?

Why was I put on this earth?

• Like 1

what the hell am i doing here?

oh wait - that was last year

• Like 2

Presenting their 2013 show "Kann ich kurz auf die Toilette gehen" the Blue Devils! devil.gif show will center around the acting theorist Bertolt Brecht founder of the Theatre of the Absurd. When he's on breaks from theorizin he will contemplate his thoughts on the cammode.

And there's my insane moment for the day, I blame the heat. I really do like BD's show this year so I mean this all in good fun.

• Like 1

By cliche, this is what I was referring too:

1. A trite or overused expression or idea.

2. A person or character whose behavior is predictable

Oh I think get it now, like for instance you're referring to a DCI judge for #2 here ?