2012 Teal Sound "Letter of Explanation"

And just out of curiosity, why does everyone keep being so negative about the drum corps activity in the state of Florida?...I'm being totally honest, I have no idea why people are saying that.

Because drum corps in Florida has become something of a sad joke. It seems every time a corps comes up from Florida, something happens to get them off the field. Teal Sound, Suncoast Sound, Tarheel Sun, Magic of Orlando, all competed and did well, but had poor management and financial issues run them into the ground. And when Magic, Tarhell, and Teal went down, they went down in flames in a pretty significant way. Tales of managerial abuses, embezzlement, mistreatment of kids, kids not being fed, all lead to a distrust of drum corps starting in Florida. It seems that it always starts with good intentions, and falls in a big way.

I think as of now, Tampa Bay Thunder is the only corps left in Florida, or are they taking the year off?

Anyone else remember a couple of years back when an Open Class corps was supposed to be forming in Miami? I don't think that went anywhere either.

• Like 2

http://www.raidersdbc.org/

Now that^^ is how this entire situation should have been handled... A professional, well thought out letter that was released in a timely manner offering a possible solution to the problem rather than blind-sighting everyone and saying, "####... sorry. Yall should've paid!"

• Like 2

Now that^^ is how this entire situation should have been handled... A professional, well thought out letter that was released in a timely manner offering a possible solution to the problem rather than blind-sighting everyone and saying, "####... sorry. Yall should've paid!"

I hope they figure out another way to raise some funds in addition to tuition for the future! And I saw a post on Facebook asking for donations from an alum. One thing that would help them is if they figured it out on the field. I saw them last year and would put a USBands group 1A band up against them and the marching band would have looked and sounded better. It was not good. I know the talent isn't that high, but good teaching can go a long way. And I know they have had some super talented members over the years. I heard they were fairing better this year on the field though. That is good news. Hopefully they can continue the season!

• Like 1

We could be losing another corps now? Crap! Please guys, we can't let another corps go down. I just asked about donating to them, I want to help out. I think if we can get DCP to help, this could help close their dues gap. I remember competing against them back in Open Class, and they were always great kids.

• Like 1

I hope they figure out another way to raise some funds in addition to tuition for the future! And I saw a post on Facebook asking for donations from an alum. One thing that would help them is if they figured it out on the field. I saw them last year and would put a USBands group 1A band up against them and the marching band would have looked and sounded better. It was not good. I know the talent isn't that high, but good teaching can go a long way. And I know they have had some super talented members over the years. I heard they were fairing better this year on the field though. That is good news. Hopefully they can continue the season!

They look and sound very good this year. Saw them at Jackson.

• Like 1

They look and sound very good this year. Saw them at Jackson.

Good to hear! I didn't make my way into the show yet.

Yes - exactly. Tom and the Raiders are and have always been a class act organization.

Teal board members take note.

• Like 1

And we were proud of them last year too. As brass caption head I was proud of what we did in 2011 with Teal especially considering the limitations we had for staffing and all the other problems that hit us. The kids were TAUGHT and taught well do I do take a bit of an offense to The suggestion that there wasn't good teaching going on at Teal last year or in years before

The brass line finished a tenth or two from 18th despite all the issues we dealt with. Until you understand a corps complete situation I suggest you don't implicate the teachers. I won't even touch the part about teal vs a band.

I wish nothing but the best and hope the kids get through this.

• Like 3

FWIW, do we know for sure that Teal Sound didn't do something similar? We only know about the fallout/aftermath, not really the full story, how the steps that brought them to this place.

Regardless, it sounds like Raiders are dangerously close to being in a similar situation; I hope they can get the funds together and complete their summer tour

Because drum corps in Florida has become something of a sad joke. It seems every time a corps comes up from Florida, something happens to get them off the field. Teal Sound, Suncoast Sound, Tarheel Sun, Magic of Orlando, all competed and did well, but had poor management and financial issues run them into the ground. And when Magic, Tarhell, and Teal went down, they went down in flames in a pretty significant way. Tales of managerial abuses, embezzlement, mistreatment of kids, kids not being fed, all lead to a distrust of drum corps starting in Florida. It seems that it always starts with good intentions, and falls in a big way.

I think as of now, Tampa Bay Thunder is the only corps left in Florida, or are they taking the year off?

Anyone else remember a couple of years back when an Open Class corps was supposed to be forming in Miami? I don't think that went anywhere either.

Tarheel Sun was out of the Raleigh area of NC, not Florida (Tarheel like the UNC Tarheels).

Sorry to nit pick.