2012 Teal Sound "Letter of Explanation"

The Big 7 were there to catch Teal Sound, one member at a time. Been going on for tha\e almost 60 years i've been involved with corps. how do think Hoppy (ands others) plan on filling that next bus.

• Like 2

Agreed. So far the blame has been on:

- Bus company

- Students not paying

- DCI

This also does not disprove the truck repo rumor, decision to leave on tour, real bus story, on and on so I have no choice but to believe those stories are mostly accurate. "The facts" never came out and it will only hurt Teal. Until there is a complete management overhaul, I cannot support this corps. Rebranding is a good idea for whoever takes over.

I am no business man and will admit I am an armchair quarter back on this topic. But I think the best course of action for this group is to have a complete turn over of control to a new board, or at least bring in a new experienced Executive Director. You need a clean slate and a complete rebranding for Florida drumcorps. The people of Teal are obviously passionate about corps, keep them involved and utilize their talents. Florida has turned out several fine corps over the years. I can't help but think that with the year round sun, great marching bands, talented staff and decades of Florida corps alums, the State of Florida could field a drumcorps that would rival the best in the business.

Yes...corps are dependent on member fees, more than you may believe.

Corps get money from marching parades in certain areas, possibly bingo (but that has died in most areas), corporate sponsorship, (that sponsor the BIG corps willingly, but not the smaller or lesser corps), alumni support (again much better for significant competitors), and MEMBERSHIP FEES!

It is the truth. With no prize monies for Open Class shows, it almost makes corps compete at the highest level or die trying.

Donny

Quite possibly Teal tried to grow to fast. One good reason to move to World Class is to get paid for shows. I can't help but think a smaller corps of dues paying members and a shorter tour might have kept Teal on the road. Better to live in Open than die in World?

I'm sorry for the kids who worked hard to pay their dues and then had the rug pulled out from under them. I can understand the disappointment in a way. When I was a sophomore in high school I was going to try out for All-State concert band for the first time. I practiced my audition music daily for months. On the big day when we went to audition we were sent home. Our no-good band director hadn't paid his dues to the northeast Oklahoma outfit so they didn't let us audition. It feels like a punch to the gut.

Quite possibly Teal tried to grow to fast. One good reason to move to World Class is to get paid for shows. I can't help but think a smaller corps of dues paying members and a shorter tour might have kept Teal on the road. Better to live in Open than die in World?

Sounds like ####ed if you do and ####ed if you don't. Stay in OC and not get paid or go to WC, do the more extensive/expensive touring, etc but not get the bigger payments until you get to be a top corps.

IOW - lose out because of not getting paid at all or not getting paid enough to cover the higher expense. Don't have an answer but hope it's on DCIs agenda to talk about in the near future.

The Big 7 were there to catch Teal Sound, one member at a time. Been going on for tha\e almost 60 years i've been involved with corps. how do think Hoppy (ands others) plan on filling that next bus.

I cannot dislike this post enough.

• Like 3

Simply put the situation for this year was this...there were alot of members that did not pay at all, some that paid very little and a few that paid in full. When I spoke to the members and the parents of members, they assured me that they would pay. That did not happen.

Firstly, I realize this advice is too late now, but perhaps they might try what Troopers and Boston does which is to get members to pay on a MONTHLY payment plan option. From February through May, BAC allows tour fees to be paid BEFORE MOVE-IN on a monthly basis. Secondly, they should have perhaps offered fundraising opportunities for members to EARN their tour fees during the off-season. Lastly, there really is no reason to not have paid tour fees. I broke my back so I could march. I would have marched YEARS sooner, but I needed to raise the money myself to march WITHOUT parental assistance. I can say that Boston offered many options to defray the cost of my tour fees and for that I am sincerely grateful to them as an organization.

• Like 3

"Jaundiced; table for one."

• Like 2

Solution: force every corps to tour regional for at least 5 years.

I assure you, this is a problem with all drum corps. Some corps have more options to resolve these issues, many dont.

Our beloved activity, as we know it,will be a fond memory soon.

Ok, let's look at that.

Teal Sound is from Florida. There was a grand total of ONE Florida show this year. Now, you can make "Southeast" a region, and you add, what, three more shows? Four?

Great tour you have there. Outstanding experience for the members, isn't it?

• Like 2

Ok, let's look at that.

Teal Sound is from Florida. There was a grand total of ONE Florida show this year. Now, you can make "Southeast" a region, and you add, what, three more shows? Four?

Great tour you have there. Outstanding experience for the members, isn't it?

Would really help recruiting for those corps eh?

Not to mention the audience, same corps at every show within a few hour drive.

And how many corp at the regionals which are big money makers for DCI and the corps....

I hate the full tour model because of the costs but don't see an alternative.